Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Sigh if only some developer would actually make a new StarWars RPG. Not a remake or remaster either a new one. BioWare was the last with the MMO version of KOTOR.

It's been almost eighteen years since a new SP RPG for the IP was released.:(

At videotime 0:20
- Why lead?? When they won't follow…?"
Remember there was a very high gov. pos. woman on video recently, educated in super expensive boarding schools for the elect - saying same: "Well.. we are trying to lead.. but.."

It's been almost eighteen years since a new SP RPG for the IP was released.:(
?? But this IP...? There's no way you're missing that. Are you saying this isn't enough of an RPG to count as an RPG?

?? But this IP…? There's no way you're missing that. Are you saying this isn't enough of an RPG to count as an RPG?
Well my good man the news-bit is even filed under non-RPG general news. I suppose you could call these games adventure games with lite RPG elements at best.

So no this isn't enough of an RPG to me. Your mileage may vary tastes as well.

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - RPG
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - RPG
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMO RPG
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Action-Adventure

Well my good man the news-bit is even filed under non-RPG general news. I suppose you could call these games adventure games with lite RPG elements at best.
No no no! Adventure games are puzzle types, like Myst, Syberia, or (checks Steam) Sniper Elite 5!? Or Outward!?!? {sigh}

But yeah, I would call it a light RPG action title. It would go on the same shelf as Control, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

I'm still looking for a turn based 4X Star Wars. Star Wars Rebellion was 1998, and that was a real time 4X.

After checking, I don't see why SW Jedi: Fallen Order should not be an RPG. It has a character progression, exploration, a story, even combat. But I haven't played the game so I must be missing something.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order wasn't labeled as RPG - so I assumed Star Wars Jedi: Survivor would be an action adventure as well.
I have never played these games - convince me that there are RPGs and I put them in our database.

Fallen Order was a Tomb Raider game in a Star Wars setting. Imho it's quite a long shot to call it an RPG.
Imho it was a goof game though, of course with quite some flaws. I guess I'm going to try this new one also with Game Pass.

Dumb title, but I'll be getting this. I enjoyed Fallen Order.

As for labels, I think "action-adventure" is pretty accurate. Gameplay-wise, Fallen Order was somewhere between a soulslike and a metroidvania. It has some light RPG elements, but I never thought of it as an RPG.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is in my top 3 games of all time (out of hundreds I have played going all the way back to Wizardry 1 near 1980) but I wouldn't classify it as an RPG.

Nowadays many good games are a blend of gameplay types making it difficult to classify them by genre, and I am glad for this.

Sigh the thing that bothers me is anyone can put a game through a checklist and call it an RPG. The genre has become ambiguous, and nothing but a marketing buzzword.

I've seen hundreds of Steam games use the label and they are barely RPG-lite.

Nowadays many good games are a blend of gameplay types making it difficult to classify them by genre, and I am glad for this.
For sure. I complain about needing new genres defined from time to time, but I've never been able to come up with a better set.

Sometimes I feel like the RPG-lite games end up influencing the traditional cRPG games in a negative way i.e. over simplification. Why have 6 stats when you can have 2? Why have accuracy skills when you can rely on the players twitch skills?

Having said that, I feel we are in a very good place right now. The cRPG genre is getting more games than it has in recent memory and we are also getting top notch action rpgs etc. I would be happy if the status quo holds for another decade - which would likely mean I have enough games to keep me going till I leave this world :)

Really? What did you like so much about it?

Pretty much everything.

The story grabbed me from the start and never let go. It's very compelling throughout and the ending was very dramatic (even though the catch is that we pretty much know overall how it would end).

I greatly enjoyed the gameplay which was a mix of not-straightforward exploration, lightsaber dodge/block/swing combat, and a few other types thrown in from time to time. I think that all of the gameplay was borrowed from other games a bit here and a bit there, but for me that's not a negative.

I also greatly enjoyed the characters, dialog, and acting.

I still don't see the dichotomy, I don't think there can be one. For example if The Witcher is an RPG, what's missing in SW Jedi: FO? Or in AC? They all meet the criteria given above so it looks subjective to me: some players are coming from the board RPGs, some from action RPGs, and this first contact may make us tell whether game X or Y is an RPG or not. But all these games allow the player to roleplay.

It's not that I care much, I'm happy with fuzzy definitions (like open-world game), but it needs to be recognized as such. It's more of a point in a definition space and how close it is to a fuzzy cloud that encompasses the genre.

Anyway, I need to play the first game one day.

Pretty much everything.

The story grabbed me from the start and never let go. It's very compelling throughout and the ending was very dramatic (even though the catch is that we pretty much know overall how it would end).

I greatly enjoyed the gameplay which was a mix of not-straightforward exploration, lightsaber dodge/block/swing combat, and a few other types thrown in from time to time. I think that all of the gameplay was borrowed from other games a bit here and a bit there, but for me that's not a negative.

I also greatly enjoyed the characters, dialog, and acting.

Interesting. Story and characters are what are crucial to me for my enjoyment in an action-adventure, as well - and exactly the reason why I avoided Fallen Order, even though I have a weakness for all things Star Wars.
From what I've read and seen in a couple places, all of those seemed to be rather generic and flat in a Force Unleashed way. Especially the main character seemed bland, but not of an RPG-fill in with your own decisions sort but rather in a "universally relatable" regular guy category. And that's just not a viewpoint I find interesting enough to get into.

That was my impression - but I have not played the game. Now you're praising the game for the exact opposite. Have I gotten it wrong?

No no no! Adventure games are puzzle types, like Myst, Syberia, or (checks Steam) Sniper Elite 5!? Or Outward!?!? {sigh}

Yes, but then there's the "Action-Adventure" sub-genre (similar to the "Action-RPG" sub-genrte), and nobody does anything but action nowadays.

I find it highly ironic, though, that LucasArts basically gave the license to do an open world game to the woman whose game was cancelled by EA, I forgot its name ...

Back
Top Bottom