The TV Series discussion thread

I'm still flabbergasted that anyone couldn't see the end of Sopranos coming. It was quite perfect, me thinks.

Hint hint..if you think Tony walked alive out of that restaurant, you were not paying attention. -p
Well if you saw that coming Tony's actually ending was supposed to be different. The writers decided to change it just because they wanted to try something different.

That black screen still pisses me off after watching the whole series again.

Anyway the last couple of seasons pretty much hinted a bad ending for everyone.

Finished Stranger Things Season 4 or at least what's been released so far. They're releasing 2 more episodes the first week of July.

Other than one fairly interesting twist, I thought it was pretty average. It's better than Season 3 but not by as much as I was hoping.

The only thing I didn't like about the last season of The Sopranos is that I thought it felt rushed compared to previous seasons. I remember thinking the show could have benefited from one more season.

The ending was close to perfect though. The fact that people still talk about it as much as they do shows the impact it had.

I liked the ending to The Sopranos just fine. It may have been ambiguous, but the characters didn't stop behaving like themselves, which is more than I can say for the very end of Ozark.

It's funny, I can mainly remember the ends of ones that I thought didn't end so well. Maybe I just hate endings :p

Excluding the ones we've been talking about, what series do you guys think ended well?
I guess Breaking Bad had some characters I liked, and the main protagonist, getting killed, but I think it all worked quite well.

Forty years of watching TV and movies has shown me no one knows how to end them properly. Your either given an open ending to guess, or boom it's done roll the credits.

I don't think it's easy to pull off, but I can name plenty of shows that I thought had good endings.

@Shagnak;, oddly enough, I didn't care for the finale of Breaking bad. I don't mean how it ended but that whole episode in general. I still think the series is one of the all-time greats though as far as dramas go.

It's funny, I can mainly remember the ends of ones that I thought didn't end so well. Maybe I just hate endings

Excluding the ones we've been talking about, what series do you guys think ended well?
I guess Breaking Bad had some characters I liked, and the main protagonist, getting killed, but I think it all worked quite well.
I thought that The Man in the High Castle ended as well as it ever could have.

Six Feet Under. The Shield. Cheers. M.A.S.H. The Americans.

To add another to the "didn't stick the landing pile", I didn't like the "This is Us" finale at all. I did generally like the preceding 17 episodes of the last season, so it's kind of strange and unfortunate that they saved the worst for last.

I thought Mr Robot's end was as good as it could get, considering the main character's predicament.

They don't all turn well or bad. Some are ambiguous and anything could happen, like The Americans.

The tone of the series already tells a lot about what to expect. The end of Ozark isn't enjoyable, and there's a sense of unfinished business, but that's what the whole series is about. A lot of people turn bad, they all try to get out of this mess but it feels hopeless most of the time. A sudden "they all lived happy forever after" would feel odd.

PS: one ending that I found very odd was Mad Men. Probably the worst I can remember.

I thought Mr Robot's end was as good as it could get, considering the main character's predicament.

Absolutely one of my favorite endings. And they also managed to pull off another plot twist right at the end, one that made perfect sense, didn't jump the shark, and one that I personally was not expecting.

Absolutely one of my favorite endings. And they also managed to pull off another plot twist right at the end, one that made perfect sense, didn't jump the shark, and one that I personally was not expecting.

One of my favourite series with The Americans and Spooks. I'm not too fond of the last plot before the conclusion, but I see why it's there.

Come to think of it, Spooks has a good and fair ending too, with or without the movie (the series is called MI-5 in the US).

Six Feet Under and the Americans had two of the finest runs of shows with excellent finales that I've ever seen. And I've ever re-watched them both though they've not been off the air very long.

I did watch the newest episode of Strange New Worlds, the one featuring Gorn. It was ok, and I actually saw some discipline being used in the show, which was pretty nice. And people calling superior officers "sir", there might be some hope here after all.

Been watching The Wire for the first time. Very good show, albeit a helluva slow burn after the first season.

Prior to that, I watched the entirety of The Sopranos (also for the first time). Personally, I don't think it's held up; its style of of storytelling may have been revolutionary at the time, but it's nothing special these days. I also feel it went downhill fast with the third season and the real-life death
of the actress playing the mother.
It felt like it was just treading water starting around then - at which point it became a cyclical (and trite) plotline of "who was going to die this season."

I'm a huge fan of the Wire. I was living and working in the area when it was airing, and they got so much right about the city, environment, and citizens of the city/county/state.

Been watching It felt like it was just treading water starting around then - at which point it became a cyclical (and trite) plotline of "who was going to die this season."

Usually because so and so has betrayed the family and they've got to go. I like the show overall, but it's pretty far down my list of favorites.

I got around to watching the first episode of the current Orville series, I thought it was pretty good, yet might have run a bit too long, imo. I was just so happy to have a decent sci-fi show to watch that I'll not be picking it apart too much.

Oh, didn't know that was back. I quite like that one - certainly much more than Nu Trek. I tried Star Trek: Placard again, out of grim curiosity. Some the worst writing I've ever seen; it's a third rate sci-fi series in a hideous Star Trek skin suit.

I've been sticking with ST: Strange New Worlds despite being mostly disappointed by it and this week's Spock centric episode is my favorite so far.

Back
Top Bottom