Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Announced

It's not the first Warhammer 40K RPG, it's just the first party-based RPG.

What other warhammer 40k rpg was there?

Yeah, well - that should have been a joke. :|
It was.

It also was like what a standup comedian once said to a German audience. Everyone knows that Germans love eating meat. In fact, they love eating meat so much, it sparked an idea for an invention: Chewing gum . . . with meat flavor.

First they were like: :lol:
Then they were like: :thinking:

I thought that was going to be the one you mentioned. I guess that's an RPG...technically... but it's so far away from what sort of RPG Owlcat makes that it may as well be another genre.

Yeah, no one is going to claim it's a similar style of RPG. That's just stating the obvious. Inquisitor is a Diablo style action-RPG, but it's an RPG all the same.

Inquisitor - Martyr

Eh, I guess...ok, I should have been specific, this is the watch after all...there has never been a party based more traditional rpg for wh40k

I loved inquisitor howevere, just not the same thing.

Party TB RPG sounds right down my alley.

Do it, Owlcat. Show everyone you're more than an average overhyped studio preying on nostalgia and copying adventure books with little actual talent. Prove you can make a 9/10 isometric RPG in the post-BG era like Obsidian, Larian or BioWare have done before you.

Can you do it? With little expectations, I'm rooting for you.

@Nereida is that you have you gone soft on us? Is it the ends times here already.:lol:

I agree this is Owlcats chance to go mainstream as the crowd loves TB RPGs. I hope the news of past job listings for an Action RPG are true as well. That's more my style.:drool:

Despite not being a TB fan, I am likely to try this, as Owlcat haven't let me down yet.

However, it would be fantastic if they added an option for RTwP..

Hmm nice news i guess, i find this universe very interesting. I hope turn based combat wont be mandatory.

Hmm nice news i guess, i find this universe very interesting. I hope turn based combat wont be mandatory.
TB combat will be mandatory as this game will not offer both. Which is probably a good decision as it can be designed from the ground up, and not comprise for RTwP.

That even hurts me to write that as I prefer playing Action and RTwP RPGs.:(

Also it's been confirmed it's D100 based on the Rogue Trader TTRPG.

Yeah they confirmed that on Reddit
OwlcatStarrok said:
Turn based only. The combat system is drastically different to what you've seen in PF. and RtwP doesn't fit right in it. I am personally a big fan of hybrid system from PF too, but didn't have any problems or disappointment adapting at all. Don't worry.

I'm more concerned by this, which seems to confirm Unity:

So is this gonna be a modified form of the tried and true Pathfinder engine Owlcat has created or an attempt at one of the previous Warhammer RPGs, or are they going to create a new system whole cloth?

My guess is the former but looking forward to getting more information..
OwlcatStarrok said:
It's based on the existing engine in many aspects, especially visual, but has different d100 based game mechanics.

I think I saw somewhere that it would be based on the ruleset but not identical.

@Nereida is that you have you gone soft on us? Is it the ends times here already.:lol:

I agree this is Owlcats chance to go mainstream as the crowd loves TB RPGs. I hope the news of past job listings for an Action RPG are true as well. That's more my style.:drool:

I'm honestly hoping that the change of setting and focusing on TB from the get-go will help them. Owlcat issue usually is trying to bite more than they can chew, and running out of time, resources, and creativity. A TB RPG will be infinitely easier to balance, especially not having 300 specs of which 250 are really just pointless. If they manage to have less useless foliage and more actual game, it could be just what they need to actually hit it.

Time will tell!

I take it you're not a fan of Unity. Is that because of performance issues?

Yes, performance, inefficient GPU code, long loading times. I'm also afraid that with each iteration, they add a layer to justify improved graphics and it will end up as a mess. Ah well, there's still time before it gets out, perhaps it will improve.

But why those Unreal jobs? There's still something we don't know.

Warhammer ? What a disappointment !

I'm out.

RPGs have been on computers for enough decades to drop the 'C' of "computer" when the context is obvious. ;)
It's not an issue of them "being" on the computer, in my mind "computer RPG" means they're designed first and foremost for computers. As a random example (since it's on the mind from another thread here), I would say DA:O is a CRPG (because it was designed for computers primarily, with a console release announced much later), while DA2 and DA:I are not CRPGs because they're obviously designed primarily with consoles in mind.

But, as mentioned, many people are now trying to redefine "CRPG" to mean "classic RPG", which mostly overlaps with "computer RPG"...but not 100%.

It's not an issue of them "being" on the computer, in my mind "computer RPG" means they're designed first and foremost for computers. As a random example (since it's on the mind from another thread here), I would say DA:O is a CRPG (because it was designed for computers primarily, with a console release announced much later), while DA2 and DA:I are not CRPGs because they're obviously designed primarily with consoles in mind.

But, as mentioned, many people are now trying to redefine "CRPG" to mean "classic RPG", which mostly overlaps with "computer RPG"…but not 100%.

I didn't think about that perspective, it's a good point. There's a tendency to streamline some games so that they hit that market - or just a larger market in general, and the RPG part almost comes as a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom