A new gaming PC

Ehhhhh, that's rubbish. :p

1650 is worse than gtx780. i5 4570 only has 6mb cache. You could get 8mb 11 years ago! No SSD in 2020?!

It's way behind the times. Not ready for the new console generation. It could probably run games from 2013 on medium alright.

Jup. They put all the junk they can no longer sell into this PC. The CPU is slow (*), the graphics card even slower. And an SSD is a must.

(*) 4th gen i5. We're in the 10th gen now. That thing is a fossile.

Well, the official 6800XT reviews are out today, along with the local pricing.

I'm sure everyone can find a million reviews and benchmarks, but for those who just want the short version:

6800XT looks great with performance that rivals and often beats 3080. However, Nvidia is well ahead in raytracing. HOWEVER, looking at the benchmarks I'd still prefer to run the few RT enabled titles with RT off for far superior performance.

If you're in USA its only a +$70 from 6800xt to 3080, but in Australia its at least $350 cheaper to get AMD.

The Smart Access Memory doesn't seem very impressive and in a few benchmarks the 6800 actually did better with an "old" 9900k CPU and SAM off over a 5900, which is odd.

I think for me AMD might be the winner as I care far more about traditional game performance and don't need Tensor cores for AI and stuff like that.

There is also Nvidias DLSS which is pretty neat in the games that support it, but AMD is working on something similar.

Also, if you consider that the new console generation is all AMD hardware with worse GPU than 6800 yet all claim to support RT I think we don't need to worry about RT becoming super important anytime soon. Since all AAA games will be targeting console hardware then poor RT performance is all they'll target for the next generation.

edit: Also, power use and thermals are all looking very good and more reports of excellent overclocking potential up to 2.5GHz (on the 6800xt)

Last edited:
6800XT has a good bit more memory, too, which could be handy in future games. (Assuming you're planning on keeping the card for 3+ years.)

Some companies making games are going to want to keep parity between the PC version and the console but I don't think all of them will. Better ray tracing may well be an important factor down the line.

(And, as near as I can tell, there's 0 support for 3D Vision in the 3000 series. Not even the driver hacks will do it. Whichever card I go for, the only way I can see my 3D screenshots will be in a VR application.)

Ehhhhh, that's rubbish. :p

1650 is worse than gtx780. i5 4570 only has 6mb cache. You could get 8mb 11 years ago! No SSD in 2020?!

It's way behind the times. Not ready for the new console generation. It could probably run games from 2013 on medium alright.

Any in-one bundle which you could recommend instead for under £500 please?

Seems everything is hard to get: 3000 series, amds lineups, etc.

I managed to score me a xbox series x at launch. Sheer luck which normally doesn't happen for me. I checked the Microsoft store one day in advance of the launch and was able to order (because of a cancellation I guess). One day later it arrived.

I have been enjoying it with game pass. If you don't have a gaming pc it is perfect. There are some issues but I have good hopes these will be resolved.

- I'm really liking quick resume which seems to be working most of the time for me. If used a lot it makes me the box a little unstable (game freezes after the 20th QR). Nothing some updates can't solve.
- crisp pseudo 4k graphics (upscaled from 1440p!)
- whisper quiet. You only hear the air moving when 5 cm away. No mechanical or coil whine noise at all
- Disney plus and all other streaming apps are in there. Kodi is still buggy.
- large 1tb storage for my needs.
- bethesda, obsidian, inxile are all owned by Microsoft and are on game pass
- having some problems with a white flicker due to HDCP, but only with disney plus.

I'm really looking forward to playing the outer worlds and wasteland 3 but I'm staying clear for now. I started with games from publishers that have a limited life on game pass

Last edited:
TSMC reckons 3nm in 2022. Could be 2.5 to 3 times as many transistors in the same area over 7nm. Of course, zen4 was gonna be 5nm so we probably wont see 3nm appear right away. But its something to think about. :)

I'm looking for opinions : My PC is now ca. 5 years old, should I begin thinking of upgrading it (or buying a new one) ?

I'm looking for opinions : My PC is now ca. 5 years old, should I begin thinking of upgrading it (or buying a new one) ?

It depends on many things. Mainly what type of games you want to play (or what type of software you want to run), whether it's CPU and/or GPU-intensive.

Then it depends on what you currently have. Are you unhappy with it?

Generally speaking, just replacing the GPU on a 5-year-old PC might not be enough, the CPU and perhaps the SSD or HD will be slowing down demanding games. But not all games are that demanding.

I think like @Redglyph; said, it's highly dependent on what you do.

If you only ever play solitaire then you can use a machine from 1995.

Need more information.
Why do you think it's time to change? Is anything you want to play not working at all? Not working at acceptable graphics ranges?

It only took nearly 2 years, but GPU prices are trending downward now as well. My 3070 no longer resells for > MSRP.

I also want to get a new PC very soon; mainly so I can give my wife my current one. The only thing I haven't pretty much decided on is which graphics card I want... As long as it's significantly better than my 1050ti I should be happy but I've been holding off because of the crazy prices.

I'd say within the next couple of months is a good time to buy. The GPU I bought sells for $900 (local currency not USD) now when I bought it for $1200. I don't regret it however as I have got a hell of a lot of use out of it!!

I would say don't wait too long as life is too short!

Going to my new GPU was a life changing experience for me. I was on a 950 gtx which is a bit slow than your current one. I went with a 6700XT and have had zero problems and great results all around at 1440p. I did actually have a 5600XT for a few months in between the two cards but I ended up selling it for a profit. I bought it for 500 and got free headphones and a $50 steam voucher. Then sold it two months later for 600 at the height of the stupidity. I did pay a premium for the new one but that softened the blow for sure.

It only took nearly 2 years, but GPU prices are trending downward now as well. My 3070 no longer resells for > MSRP.

Trending downward is an understatement. RTX 3080s were around $1500 last year, and now you can get them for $800 which I think is only $100 more than the original MSRP.

I would say don't wait too long as life is too short!

Yeah, I think will go for it soon. I'm sticking with 1080p for now since I like my monitor a lot, so I don't even need a big upgrade. I've yet to run into problems running games with my current system, especially considering I mostly play indie and AA games anyway.

I was considering a GTX 1660. Might go a bit up from that but not much as it'd probably be a waste of money for me.

Well, my current PC is a very special specimen, built together in late 2018 or in early 2019 by the computer shop according to my wishes.
I knew that it would be late for that operating system, but I explicitely wanted a Windows 7 ( ! ) PC with fitting hardware. Hence, my graphics card is a GeForce GT 730, and the processor is an i5 model.

CPUID says the following about it :

Name Intel Core i5 6500
Codename Skylake
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Mainboard Model Z170-K

Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

The Mainboard is from Asus.
It has 8 GB RAM.
The system is located on a fast SSD drive, that was something very new to me, then.

The only wish they didn't implement was to install Win7 32 bit on that, too.

You see, it might be far too old right now.
Although, what I play, plays fairly good, with only a few exceptions (graphics intensive things).

Well, my current PC is a very special specimen, built together in late 2018 or in early 2019 by the computer shop according to my wishes.
I knew that it would be late for that operating system, but I explicitely wanted a Windows 7 ( ! ) PC with fitting hardware. Hence, my graphics card is a GeForce GT 730, and the processor is an i5 model.

CPUID says the following about it :

The Mainboard is from Asus.
It has 8 GB RAM.
The system is located on a fast SSD drive, that was something very new to me, then.

The only wish they didn't implement was to install Win7 32 bit on that, too.

You see, it might be far too old right now.
Although, what I play, plays fairly good, with only a few exceptions (graphics intensive things).
Still doesn't explain what you need or want it for.

Your last sentence says it's still good so is it just a minor upgrade you want. If so any of the newer computers with 16gb of ram and latest dedicated gpu should be much better at a relatively low cost.

Back
Top Bottom