Venetica - For a Limited Time: Yours to Keep @GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Venetica is yours to keep for a limited time on GOG.

"The Summer Sale on GOG is in full swing and today we have another hot surprise for you. For the next 48 hours, you can claim your copy of Venetica - Gold Edition. This classic action RPG will be up for grabs in our store until 12th June 2022, 1 PM UTC."

Set in the fantastic world of long ago Venice, the young Scarlett falls victim to a terrible mystery, which begins with the murder of her companion by a secretive alliance of mighty necromancers. Thus fate takes its inevitable course and threatens to throw the world out of order.

Scarlett finds out that she is the daughter of death incarnate and is blessed with his ultimate powers. She is the only one who can stop the gruesome powers that threaten to destroy the entire living world.

Now it's your chance to reverse fate! Get ready for a fast-paced adventure set in an epic world filled with dark dangers and merciless adversaries. Arm yourself with mighty weapons, rally together powerful allies and master the dark powers of death. Can you conquer the powers that threaten to inescapably destroy the world of the living? Follow your path down into the deepest abyss to death itself - and back again, if you are worthy!

Key Features:

• Experience a visually stunning action RPG with a unique and captivating atmosphere
  • Follow the hero journey of Scarlett through a rich and original story
  • Conquer a host of merciless nightmarish creatures that pounce on the threatened world in a raged frenzy in action-packed battles and ultimately confront their masters
  • Explore palaces, villas and numerous dark alleyways in a living dynamic Venice filled with merchants, rogues, allies and traitors
  • Learn how to use the powers of the "Twilight World" and wander between the worlds of the living and the dead. Put the ultimate powers of death to your advantage in battle.
  • Use the advantages of the "Twilight World" and the ultimate powers of death
  • Experience an open game world with dynamic night and day cycles
  • Clear, easy to pick up rule system and intuitive game-play
  • Experience a dynamic and open game world in which you can freely develop your own character and decide on different game strategies yourself.

To become death in Venetica is a calling, fulfilled by a man of flesh and blood - equipped with special supernatural skills in order to be able to carry out the duties of the office. A new death is selected regularly by "Corpus", a secret council. This time however Corpus really makes a wrong decision: The "new" death, Victor, turns out to be a crazed necromancer who manages to turn himself into an overpowering undead with seedy tricks and dark rituals and thus attains almost unlimited power in addition to immortality. As it is strictly forbidden for the chosen death to devote himself to necromancy, the committee revokes Victor's nomination immediately and declares a new death in his stead without delay.

The power-hungry Victor however does not want to relinquish his position again. He continues to practice the dark arts in order to gather numerous dark and dangerous creatures and tainted souls from the underworld around him. He thus succeeds in eliminating the newly designated death and takes over his power for his own purposes. The effects on the world's balance are calamitous and - should Victor be able to keep himself in power - its dark consequences are irreversible. Only a person who has the same mighty powers as Victor can prevent his prevailing and vent him his deserved punishment.

Scarlett, the daughter of the real death does not know anything about her ancestry and the hidden talents which slumber within her. She is immersed suddenly in this story due to the brutal attack on her home village and the tragic loss of Benedict, the love of her life. It is a story which she now begins to write herself, a story during the course of which she unleashes her capabilities, a story in which she tries to save Benedict from the world of the dead and a story in which she must protect the world of the living from the dark threat posed by Victor and his henchmen.
More information.

Seems I have this on Steam since 2015. It also seems they finished patching it and no DLC are announced, so now I can start playing ;-)

Remember how people said that it was difficult to play because of its engine ?
Nowadays, this should be no more a problem, I guess, with today's computing power available ...

Many years ago at that time it felt like playing a poor clone of Fable.

from what i remember it ran like total shit back then and it had a million loading times

I played it a long time ago (near release) and liked very much. Plays like an Open-World-Action RPG. Not as open world as Gothic, for example, on the other hand a little bit more emphasis on magic abilities. I liked the possibility to summon animal companions to support you in fighting (I used a bunch of ravens).

Worth trying for everybody who likes games like Gothic or other 3D Action-RPGs.

I played it quite some years ago, and enjoyed it alot. It reminded me of Gothic yet not quite as good, though enjoyable in its ways. I didn't care for the heavy focus on magic myself though that might appeal to others. Even without that factored in I did enjoy the game while I was playing.

Seems I have this on Steam since 2015. It also seems they finished patching it and no DLC are announced, so now I can start playing ;-)

You could have played this a couple of months after release. The game was in solid condition after a couple of patches. ;)

The "technical issues" are unfixable, but also quite tolerable. Deck 13 pushed their internal engine beyond its limit in a few scenes in the venice harbour district. This caused some minor praphics glitches here and there. This bothered me for approximately 30 seconds. I don't remember any major issues.

Venetica is an easy to digest 3rd person action-RPG. Good art direction, fresh setting (-> medieval Venice), attractive female lead without battle bikini, surprising depth in the mechanics if you care to dig. Combat had a solid amount of oomph for pre-Souls times. Difficulty is nothing to worry about. Length ca. 25-30 hours.
I had a lot of fun with it back in the day. Finished it 2 times.

Here's a link to an old impressions thread.

More like really low budget Gothic, like people already mentioned.
Not from my experience it wasn't but thanks for the reply. I was going to suggest paging Gorath and sharing the sites old preview, but he already magically appeared.:salute:

Not from my experience it wasn't but thanks for the reply. I was going to suggest paging Gorath and sharing the sites old preview, but he already magically appeared.:salute:

I was actually pretty sure I had written a review about it. Turned out I hadn't?!

IMHO Venetica is nothing like Gothic. The world is sometimes semi-open but sometimes on rails. It's clearly story driven. And there's no suffering for 10 hours until you can confidently fight a chicken. The Break-Your-Fingers(tm) control scheme is also missing. ;)

I agree it's not much like Gothic, but I wouldn't compare it to Fable either. Fable had a very different vibe especially in the type of humor it presented.

Back
Top Bottom