Starfield - Official Gameplay Reveal

Edit: It is single player, right?
Yes, it is.

I'm pretty excited. Not a big fan of having lots of generic worlds, but I assume there are some hand crafted worlds/areas as well, as part of the main quest + major sidequests.

I'm quite happy with what I saw. Open world Sci-fi, single player, moddable, hopefully proper RPG mechanics.

This sums up what I also find this interesting and looking forward to it (if my computer can run it). I always admired their game engine from Oblivion going forward - the physics, the interaction, character details (except oblivion faces of courses), world immersion and details.

I just hope that it will come to Steam and won't be Microsoft xbox exclusive.

Hm, looks like a typical Bethesda game: big atmospheric sandbox, but completely empty. This'll need mods, like usual.

I do have to admit it looks pretty good though, and I am a sucker for sci-fi…

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. I enjoy Beth games a lot. Unlike others I never had real issues with bugs in their games. Mostly glitches and minor stuff. One of the lucky ones when it comes to bugs in games in general though.

Looking forward to the new IP and really enjoyed what I saw in the video. Always happy to see another big open world style game.

While I only mod to enhance an existing game, mainly visually, I hope the game is easy to mod and the modding community finds lots to enjoy with modding it.

SF is my third favorite genre (fantasy being first followed with Cyber and Steam punk) but this looks pretty good so far. Hopefully they have some good companions as well.

They briefly show some of the planet surfaces starting from 14:48.
One thing I noticed is how underwhelming the vegetation is. It's just some plants scattered on top of a rocky surface. Even the wooded planet at 14:52 looks shallow and lifeless. Has anyone seen water anywhere?

I mean if it's a potential part of the game to wander on the planets, the scenery should at least look well and diverse.

Honestly, I expect most planets to be the equivalent to Mars: If you are a geologist, you might be excited, but if you are the typical murder-hobo (aka "Explorer"), it will be just another "forest" type planet with "dinglebears" and "wobbleducks". You will perhaps stumble upon a random encampment (everyone dead, damned wobbleducks) before reaching mining colony X23, where you drink a beer, murder the mining guy Hugo in another bar (type 3, 2 levels plus kitchen) who should have paid his debts to someone on an actually interesting planet and then you're off again.

So, if done well, the planets will give a nice feeling of "space is really big", but they will probably not be that interesting all for itself, more acting as "background you can walk around in".

[…], it will be just another "forest" type planet with "dinglebears" and "wobbleducks". [..]

Hehe, Dinglebears! Once you come out of the woods after two weeks of "researching" you will have Dingleberries! :lol:

While I'm luke-warm to what they showed, I just realized how un-ambitious the game is. Aside from the ambitious scale, it's pretty much an amalgamation of the same mechanics of most of their games, and other games. Which could be great for fans of their games, but I think it's a missed opportunity to try something new, at least in parts.

Not sure I can agree with that. I think they at least deserve credit for integrating spaceflight and combat into the game. There's nothing like that in any of their previous games.

Of course it remains to be seen how deep the spaceflight is, but kudos for not just making it an automated fast travel system which is what I originally expected.

Beth also just confirmed that dialogue is in first person and the main character isn't voiced: https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1536369312650653697?t=E_-QCaeZpAmx4W2EQ83jPQ&s=19

Bethesda Game Studios
@BethesdaStudios
Yes, dialogue in @StarfieldGame
is first person and your character does not have a voice.
Odd choice I would have thought after Fallout 4 the main character would be voiced. Did they listen to feedback, or was it just a way to save money and development time?

Of course it remains to be seen how deep the spaceflight is, but kudos for not just making it an automated fast travel system which is what I originally expected.

That can turn out for better or for worse… Having multiple genres in one game doesn't have the best track record to say the least. Mods or not…

If it's half assed i would prefer fast travel with cutsceens to tell the truth.
Like you said no way to know yet…But people are jumping on the hype train already by the looks of things…

Odd choice I would have thought after Fallout 4 the main character would be voiced. Did they listen to feedback, or was it just a way to save money and development time?

I wonder if they might get a lot of hassle from people about providing player voices they feel are appropriate for them. I could imagine deciding to save the money and hassle, and just let people use their imaginations.

Honestly, I expect most planets to be the equivalent to Mars: If you are a geologist, you might be excited, but if you are the typical murder-hobo (aka "Explorer"), it will be just another "forest" type planet with "dinglebears" and "wobbleducks". You will perhaps stumble upon a random encampment (everyone dead, damned wobbleducks) before reaching mining colony X23, where you drink a beer, murder the mining guy Hugo in another bar (type 3, 2 levels plus kitchen) who should have paid his debts to someone on an actually interesting planet and then you're off again.

So, if done well, the planets will give a nice feeling of "space is really big", but they will probably not be that interesting all for itself, more acting as "background you can walk around in".

Please develop this game ASAP, I want a plushie wobbleduck and novelty dinglebear onesie :)

I wouldn't like a pre-made voice in an RPG. Plus they'd have to record different voices to (more or less) match the character the player has created.

yep, voiceless is fine by me - the game itself looks interesting, and I'm sure to get it when it arrives. I would have preferred ES6 though. I wonder how complex/sophisticated the 'rpg' mechanics are?

edit: I only watched a few minutes of the video since I don't want to spoil it. Maybe they give many details about mechanical depth later...

Can I be cautiously hyped, or is that a contradiction? I love sci-fi games, space exploration, space ships that look like they have been put together to be actually used... I really hope that Bethesda can deliver :fingerscrossed:

That can turn out for better or for worse… Having multiple genres in one game doesn't have the best track record to say the least. Mods or not…

If it's half assed i would prefer fast travel with cutsceens to tell the truth.
Like you said no way to know yet...But people are jumping on the hype train already by the looks of things…

It's not multiple genres. It's an RPG with a flight mechanic.

Having the spaceship simply be a fast travel device would be lame as hell. I think a major part of the appeal here is actually piloting our own ship and being able to explore with it.

Having the spaceship simply be a fast travel device would be lame as hell. I think a major part of the appeal here is actually piloting our own ship and being able to explore with it.

Outer Worlds worked without that and I wouldn't call it "lame". It's simply a nice feature, true, but one I could survive without. If features would have to go for some reasons, flyable ships would be one of those that I would kick out first, simply because it has the biggest impact in regards to development time and the smallest impact on core gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom