Starfield - Official Gameplay Reveal

I think the ship building/flying mechanic is very appealing. Would I have been interested in the game without it? Yes, but if you want to communicate the vastness of space, the visual variety of planets and so on, it's a very useful addition. There's a lot they can do with it, and hopefully they take advantage. I'd like to see derelict wrecks you can explore, space stations you can dock with, stellar phenomena to observe and chart, enemy ships, weird spaceborne lifeforms, etc. If all you do is fast travel in slow motion with nothing much to do along the way besides fight bandits, they will have done the bare minimum.

There is, of course, no point to having a ship building component if you don't actually fly the ship in real time (whether that be in cockpit as it seems to be here, or otherwise). I have zero interest in base building, personally, just like I did in Fallout 4. But ship building does have my interest. I wish they had put all of their effort into that.

To state the obvious, space is pretty vast. And empty. I think you guys who think there's going to be actual spacefaring are reading too much into hype. At best, you're going to have encounters & skirmishes when hopping off planet and (yes) fast traveling to the next solar system.

Outer Worlds worked without that and I wouldn't call it "lame". It's simply a nice feature, true, but one I could survive without. If features would have to go for some reasons, flyable ships would be one of those that I would kick out first, simply because it has the biggest impact in regards to development time and the smallest impact on core gameplay.

Sure, TWO "worked" without it, but it might have been better with it.

Not sure where you get that such a feature has the smallest impact on core gameplay. We don't know how large a part the spaceflight is going to play yet, but I highly doubt it's going to be insignificant.

Ship is the new house. Second DLC will be $29.99 and centered around new ship gadgets that will appease the dress-up crowd and have little effect on gameplay.

It will be called Automafire. Or maybe Hearthtron.

To state the obvious, space is pretty vast. And empty. I think you guys who think there's going to be actual spacefaring are reading too much into hype. At best, you're going to have encounters & skirmishes when hopping off planet and (yes) fast traveling to the next solar system.

You can have both.

Just because there are 100 systems doesn't mean there won't be a handful of systems (or even just one) that are much more important and populated than the others. Flying around in a core system could be a much different, much more detailed experience than flying around in the other 98.

You can also have directed quest content that takes you to things in space. I didn't say you had to stumble across this stuff. I think it would be cool to be sent to the last known coordinates of a colony ship, for example, only to find that it's a floating, quiet hulk, and you have to board it and investigate what happened.

The point is, put stuff in space if we're going to fly around, not just on the surface of planets.

Ship is the new house. Second DLC will be $29.99 and centered around new ship gadgets that will appease the dress-up crowd and have little effect on gameplay.

It will be called Automafire. Or maybe Hearthtron.

Cynical!

The big difference is that you have to leave your house to do anything interesting. If they do this right, you'll be able to do interesting things from your ship.

Not sure where you get that such a feature has the smallest impact on core gameplay. We don't know how large a part the spaceflight is going to play yet, but I highly doubt it's going to be insignificant.

It's Skyrim. In Space. I think we can have a pretty good idea what most of the game will be like. Bethesda isn't really known for big jumps in things that worked. They tend to just add and tweak things instead of completely reinventing them.

It's Skyrim. In Space. I think we can have a pretty good idea what most of the game will be like. Bethesda isn't really known for big jumps in things that worked. They tend to just add and tweak things instead of completely reinventing them.

Those comparisons are so lazy. "Skyrim in space". "Oblivion with guns". And so it continues here. How is building and flying spacecraft not a major addition to gameplay? What's the equivalent in Skyrim? I didn't even ride the horses.

The point is that if you don't know what you're getting with a Bethesda game by now, you clearly haven't been around long. Every single game of theirs offers the same design principles of copy pasting things together and throwing them around the worldspace in disparate fashion that makes little sense beyond the player going, "oh neat."

Each of us knows long in advance whether we're going to bother trying out this next rendition of the same game. And every game cycle we also have people deluding themselves with what they want in the game rather than what Bethesda has long since shown they'll be recycling for their games. It's fine to like their style of... simulators (I refuse to call them RPGs) - it's your preference - but to expect something revolutionary is pretty lol-worthy by this point.

Game Director: Todd Howard
Lead Writer: Emil Pagliarulo

That is truly all you need to know how the game will play out.

I like how you're projecting what people are expecting here. Who said anything about it being revolutionary?

They've never done anything remotely similar to piloting your own ship though, and it seems pretty dumb to completely ignore that.

Yep, piloting a vehicle would indeed be new for them. Only 10 years behind the technical curve instead of the usual 20.

The point is that if you don't know what you're getting with a Bethesda game by now, you clearly haven't been around long. Every single game of theirs offers the same design principles of copy pasting things together and throwing them around the worldspace in disparate fashion that makes little sense beyond the player going, "oh neat."

I have plenty of criticisms of their games I could make, but this paragraph makes me think that you have little personal experience with them.

yep, voiceless is fine by me - the game itself looks interesting, and I'm sure to get it when it arrives. I would have preferred ES6 though. I wonder how complex/sophisticated the 'rpg' mechanics are?

edit: I only watched a few minutes of the video since I don't want to spoil it. Maybe they give many details about mechanical depth later...

There's only a glimpse of a perk/skill tree (I think it was a tree, might've only been a few groups of skills) and mentions of the skills, once unlocked, being improved through use.

My feeling is that it will be similar to Fallout 4, ie not that impressive, but at least somewhat interesting while exploring the worlds.

Well there's certainly an avenue for endless DLC expansions here, although I'd imagine the market will steadily decrease. Personally I prefer a smaller number of better-developed locales.

I think both sides in the debate above have good points. Stating the obvious as a summary: As a Bethesda game, we can, to a certain degree, project what the game will be. If you have liked their previous games, and did not mind the cold feeling mindless NPCs, there are chances that you'll like this one as well. If you, however, did not like their previous games, better jump out the hype-train now as a disappointment may follow.

I thought that their world-building was never on the level of, say, CDPR, but otherwise liked their few previous games well enough until they got side-tracked from the story and became repetitive. Howard promised in some interview a long time ago that they'll focus on making the NPCs feel more alive this time around. Judging from the video, that really isn't the case but they can still save the facial animations as ME:A did (after release, though), and that could improve something. On the other hand, in a space setting, one should not expect a living world everywhere, but the environment should be mostly barren. Perhaps that helps the immersion.

Pretty sure that I'll pick this one up at some point but will likely get bored after 20-40 hours when the gameplay gets repetitive and the focus on the story has dissolved into 100 side-guests and dealing with different factions. Projecting, I know JDR ;). Interested to see how the flying works out. I would be impressed if it was open-world. Perhaps some fights with pirates instead highlighted in certain places of the star map?

So the word that comes screaming into my mind after watching the video is
"Generic Sci Fi"

This is a mash up of the most generic sci fi elements, all added to not miss anything. You got your "Alien" monsters, you got the build your own spaceships, you got the space combat, you got the exploration, and the Star Wars-like universe with many odd and colorful and peculiar factions fighting against each other.

Oh man, this could have been so much more. If they had pony-ed up the money and bought the Star Trek license, and made it a full on Star Trek themed game.

Not modern day Star Trek, of course (ugh - woke Trek ain't good), but either Deep Space Nine or Next Generation Star Trek universe. The classic stuff, when it was good.

Then I would have called this game the Next Coming. But instead they are going with lame story and lame generic sci fi universe (old fashioned astronaut-like suits, really?)

All that said, I think this will be a huge hit for Bethesda. In Fact, a gold mine.

Imagine how much DLC and cosmetic stuff they can sell with upgrading your Ship and Starbase alone…the possibilities are endless. Cosmetic stuff galore could be sold in microtransactions for this game.

Not to mention DLC #24 (out of DLC releases numbering in the hundreds), when a new undiscovered Planet/Star System is found in a remote part of the universe, and awaiting new explorers….

This will be a money maker for Todd Howard's kids and probably his grand-kids too.

Anyway, other impressions…the combat looks like any other first person shooter out there. Not great, but not bad either. The weapons though seem surprisingly primitive for what you might expect in the 23rd century. I mean, most of those weapons seem to look and act like a modern Call of Duty game set in the modern day (ya got your shotgun, your machine gun, your lighter assault weapon M16 or AR-15, etc)

I honestly think the shooting is not that good or impressive, and maybe Bethesda decided to try and compete with modern day first person shooters a bit here. A bit too much, if you get what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom