SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new Spellforce game is in the making - SpellForce: Conquest of Eo:

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - Announcement Trailer

A new chapter in the grimoire of SpellForce awaits. SpellForce: Conquest of Eo is coming to PC.

Command mighty heroes, raise your wizard's tower and hunt down ancient artefacts and secrets to become the greatest of mages in this turn-based fantasy epic set in the world of SpellForce!
More information.

I'm just going to re-post my forum comment.:)

Fantasy General 2 wasn't a bad strategy game so I have faith in the developer. Also yeah it's a small side project of the franchise and not the next Spellfoce game.

Kinda reminds me of the Age of Wonder games.:excited:

The Steam tags say "Strategy", "RPG", "Turn-Based Strategy", "Tactical RPG" -
so I hope it is justified to put it in our RPG database.

It will be like a mix between Heroes of Might & Magic and Master of Magic, says GamersGlobal.

My first touch with spellforce was in spellforce 3 and I loved it.
Usually I do not play RTS, but here mix of RPG and RTS was just enough.
I can't wait TBS spellforce.

Nice! I hope it'll be at least as much an RPG as the last ones in the series.

Obliviously no one reads it will be a TB strategy game. The battles will be tactical like in Fantasy General 2 or Age of wonders, and will have RPG elements at best for the heroes.

At it's core it's sounding and looking like a 4X game. It will have nothing in common to past games in the series except the name and lore. So not a RTS/RPG hybrid.

Man it's amazing what people consider RPGs these days.:roll:

This type of game interests me much more than the normal Spellforce formula. I will watch this with interest.

Damn this looks really good. I want to like Spellforce, I put quite a few hours into Spell Force 1, but at the end of the day I feel like rts and rpg is a mismatch. RPGs are a very relaxed, almost zen-like experience for me, while rts are inherently hectic. My limit for real time micromanagement is herding 6 units in the Infinity Engine rtwp games, andything above that and it just becomes too hectic to enjoy.

Strange how after King's Bounty went under with KB2 flopping terribly everything becomes King's Bounty, first Disciples Liberation and now Spellforce.

Damn this looks really good. I want to like Spellforce, I put quite a few hours into Spell Force 1, but at the end of the day I feel like rts and rpg is a mismatch. RPGs are a very relaxed, almost zen-like experience for me, while rts are inherently hectic. My limit for real time micromanagement is herding 6 units in the Infinity Engine rtwp games, andything above that and it just becomes too hectic to enjoy.

Strange how after King's Bounty went under with KB2 flopping terribly everything becomes King's Bounty, first Disciples Liberation and now Spellforce.

Same for me. I played SpellForce 1 to death back in the days and in the end it was a real love/hate experience. I loved the main hero romps on maps without base building. Hated the ever spawning enemy maps where turret spam was a must.

This turn-based spawn looks very promising, though.

As Couch already posted, this is probably just a small side project for the franchise. THQ has the brand, Owned by Gravity has their tech from Fantasy General 2 and they're already up to speed in fantasy scenarios. So it's low risk for all involved parties.

Campaigns are generated, says their marketing blurp, but the preview at Gamersglobal mentioned that all maps are hand-made. And 500 quests / taks / missions have already been designed - although this info is meaningless without further details.
Combat is meant to be small scale and with clear tactical goals in mind. So there will be many small encounters, 10-15 minutes each. They implemented 8 vs. 8 and startet to scale down from there. The preview says they are at 5 vs 5 at this point. The creative director said anything between 5 and 7 is still possible. They'll have to test it more.

It's confirmed that there will be some upgrade system for your units. You can go until level 15. So taking good care of your experienced units is worth it.

Same for me. I played SpellForce 1 to death back in the days and in the end it was a real love/hate experience. I loved the main hero romps on maps without base building. Hated the ever spawning enemy maps where turret spam was a must.

This turn-based spawn looks very promising, though.

Two remarkable pieces of info from a The Pod podcast with the producer of the first Spellforce:
It was meant to be an MMO until a year or two before released. Then JoWooD suddenly found out they would have to invest in server infrastructure. They asked Phenomic to condense it into a normal game instead.
The enemy only starts to build his base after you've started to build your for building. Most maps could be completed by simply cleaning them action-RPG style without ever building anything.

My first touch with spellforce was in spellforce 3 and I loved it.
Usually I do not play RTS, but here mix of RPG and RTS was just enough.

Then you should consider to have a look at Spellforce 2 remastered. SF2 was a superb game when it came out, and it looked beautiful. I haven't played the remaster, but I would expect it to look pleasant enough.

If it's got a character, it must be an RPG!
It's just a pet peeve of mine how games that barely have RPG elements are labeled as RPGs for marketing reasons. That's a grey area encouraged by lax rules on Steam.

Look at Josh Sawyer and his new game Pentiment. Most media sites are calling it an RPG like Disco Elysium when he said the following in a current podcast interview.
In a podcast on German gaming website GameStar, Josh Sawyer confirms that this is indeed made with a smaller team of between 10 to 15 people and that it isn't an RPG, but a crime adventure. He compared it heavily to "Night in the Woods" and "Oxenfree".

It's just a pet peeve of mine how games that barely have RPG elements are labeled as RPGs for marketing reasons.

You probably understood that my comment was sarcastic continuing what you wrote, and you thought of clarifying to people who perhaps didn't get it ;)

You probably understood that my comment was sarcastic continuing what you wrote, and you thought of clarifying to people who perhaps didn't get it
Yep as sarcasm is always missed on forums. You have to explain in words properly.:p

Back
Top Bottom