Starfield - Official Gameplay Reveal

With all this talk of Oblivion, anyone ever play Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? Supposedly gets rid of the excessive scaling, amongst other things.

I never did finish Oblivion; I just got bored with how the entire game felt the same after a while due to said scaling.

Yeah, I did a whole convoluted setup based on FCOM. I enjoyed it a whole lot more after that. Long time ago though, so I don't recall the details.

For some reason, Bethesda's Fallout games are still decent for my tastes though. Not great, but playable. So I guess Starfield is worth at least checking out, but I'm not expecting much. Bethesda is just a very mediocre RPG developer all-around.

I also enjoyed FO 3 & 4 more than modern TES. I don't know if it's because they're actually better or if it's because I've been burned-out on fantasy settings for a long time now.

To be fair I have had a blast playing even the unmodded oblivion...to say it was a poor game isn't really true considering it still stands up today. It's not perfect but it most definitely is fun.

With all this talk of Oblivion, anyone ever play Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? Supposedly gets rid of the excessive scaling, amongst other things.

I never did finish Oblivion; I just got bored with how the entire game felt the same after a while due to said scaling.

I'm also in the never finished it camp.

Husband played it with OOO but he can't remember if he finished it (so probably didn't) It did fix the scaling annoyances. Unlike the other small list of games he plays, he has no current wish to replay it.

I'm also in the never finished it camp.

Husband played it with OOO but he can't remember if he finished it (so probably didn't) It did fix the scaling annoyances. Unlike the other small list of games he plays, he has no current wish to replay it.

I never finished it with OOO as it was my second playthrough but I did finish my first playthrough which was unmodded.

I have never played knights of the nine which I regret as supposedly it has quite a good story.

I did buy the horse armor DLC as I liked the game enough!!

To be fair I have had a blast playing even the unmodded oblivion…to say it was a poor game isn't really true considering it still stands up today. It's not perfect but it most definitely is fun.

Still stands up today? Compared to what?

Space and surface-level/in-atmosphere planets are separate, they decided that doing a smooth transition between the two (ala No Man's Sky, I guess) wasn't worth it.

Well, that sucks. I guess we're back to loading screens for every single door too then? It's a silly thing, I know, but it kills my immersion and it annoys me.

Well, that sucks. I guess we're back to loading screens for every single door too then? It's a silly thing, I know, but it kills my immersion and it annoys me.

Have to agree with you.

On 2D games with clear map transitions I am more accepting of loading screens because it would be mechanically difficult to show the actual transition.

With 3d open world games the less loading screens the better. It should just let you open the door etc. I was burnt with fallout 4 as it has a bug for people with very fast systems and greater than 60hz monitors where loading screens take longer than they should. Luckily there is a mod that uncaps the frames during loading screens that fixes the bug but it really highlighted how they pull you out of the game.

It won't impact whether I will buy the game though - it would just be cool if it didn't do it.

As befits the overall theme of the thread, you folks are really jumping to conclusions in thinking that loading screens between space and the surface somehow automatically means loading screens between every discrete area of the game.

Past experience from Bethesda games has my magic 8-Ball saying high chance Sarfield will have load screens. Again this is my personal opinion assuming the game will.

Anyway I'd except them with loading each planet and entering certain buildings.

I was speaking graphically…

I don't think Oblivion holds up well there either.

I'm not saying it's not still worth playing, but there's no way I could without both an overhaul mod for the level-scaling and one that upgrades the textures.

As befits the overall theme of the thread, you folks are really jumping to conclusions in thinking that loading screens between space and the surface somehow automatically means loading screens between every discrete area of the game.

I agree they're jumping to conclusions, but unfortunately they might be right since it's still Creation Engine. I think it's a limitation of the engine rather than Bethesda being unwilling to have smooth transitions between areas.

I agree they're jumping to conclusions, but unfortunately they might be right since it's still Creation Engine. I think it's a limitation of the engine rather than Bethesda being unwilling to have smooth transitions between areas.

While it does look like Creation Engine 2 (CE2) has had an upgrade with a new renderer it remains to be seen if they have overhauled everything else as well. It is possible though.

I do agree with you though that most likely that many of the same limitations still exist given from what we have seen with previous upgrades.

The other thing to consider is that not having a seemless transition does allow for more creative freedom in the interior. Often interiors are slightly larger (or smaller) than they should be in Beth games. I imagine it makes the creative process faster if you aren't dealing with one combined world.

Yeah, if they're right about the loading between planets, and between space and the surface, that does seem a pity. It does make the space flight aspect sound a bit more superficial. It would make sense since they're hell-bent on clinging to that old engine - "We'll just solve this problem by having the area around a planet essentially a big room with a sphere in the middle."

Bit of a missed opportunity, IMO - I'd have thought that a game of this scope might have been time for a modern engine that can handle this kind of stuff.

Yeah, if they're right about the loading between planets, and between space and the surface, that does seem a pity. It does make the space flight aspect sound a bit more superficial. It would make sense since they're hell-bent on clinging to that old engine - "We'll just solve this problem by having the area around a planet essentially a big room with a sphere in the middle."

Bit of a missed opportunity, IMO - I'd have thought that a game of this scope might have been time for a modern engine that can handle this kind of stuff.
Well the problem is that at it's core the Creation Engine 2 is built off of Gamebryo code. It's like putting lipstick on a pig as each new game has the same bugs and errors.

Like many have said it's time for them to create a new engine from scratch or use Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom