What games are you playing now?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Woah, should have played this much sooner. I only finished the first village, but I like it a lot so far. Authentic middle ages, compelling story. Not sure yet how I want to develop my character. Probably going to play him like a learned priest more than a fighter, if that's possible.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Woah, should have played this much sooner. I only finished the first village, but I like it a lot so far. Authentic middle ages, compelling story. Not sure yet how I want to develop my character. Probably going to play him like a learned priest more than a fighter, if that's possible.
Just don't do what I did.
Play to enjoy and don't try to min max this game.

I was picking up flowers for 3 hours to gain more strength and got bored of the game.

I need to try this one again at some point :)

One of my favorite games ever. Glad you enjoy it.

At the moment, I'm playing to Wartales. I'm really enjoying it. I really like that they have added a mode where the world doesn't auto-level around you. Unlike Battle Brother, its world is actually fun to explore.

Doom Eternal

I played a little bit of it when it was released, but I put it aside to wait for the expansions. Then I got sidetracked and forgot about it for awhile.

Currently on the third mission, and so far it's great. The controls and mouse aiming are super tight in a way that only id Software shooters seem to be. The visuals and art design are excellent, and it runs smooth as silk. Music is really good too.

My only complaints would be the lack of a manual save system, which has become standard for id, and the gratuitous platforming.

After having finished Bioshock 1 for the first time, I put in about 4h in Bioshock 2. It's ok, but nothing too special or worthwhile. It feels like more of the same, maybe in a more streamline fashion. But what's killing me, and I'm probably gonna stop playing because of this, is the fairly constant crashes to desktop. I had just killed my second big sister, and it CTD, and I lost a lot of progress. So, I think I'm done, and I'm just gonna start Bioshock Infinite, which I did finish a long time ago, but never got to the DLCs which I hear are great.

After having finished Bioshock 1 for the first time, I put in about 4h in Bioshock 2. It's ok, but nothing too special or worthwhile. It feels like more of the same, maybe in a more streamline fashion. But what's killing me, and I'm probably gonna stop playing because of this, is the fairly constant crashes to desktop. I had just killed my second big sister, and it CTD, and I lost a lot of progress. So, I think I'm done, and I'm just gonna start Bioshock Infinite, which I did finish a long time ago, but never got to the DLCs which I hear are great.

It's a shame you're having those issues because Bioshock 2 is pretty good. I've played and finished all the Bioshock games except for Infinite's DLCs. I preferred the first two games myself. Infinite had a slightly more interesting narrative, but I liked the setting, atmosphere, and gameplay more in the earlier games.

Last edited:
Playing some City of Heroes again. I habitually go back to this game for a couple months at a time - it's a great casual MMO in that respect.

Serious Duke 3D

Its a fantastic mod for the Serious Sam game engine, and is part of Serious Sam Fusion 2017, and you also need Serious Sam 3: BFE

Amazingly fun first person shooter, whoever the guy/modder who made this is top class. It seriously feels like its professionally done, all the way from the graphics to funny Duke Nukem voice overs to outstanding shooting mechanics with tons of different and varied assortment of guns to choose from, some of which seem unique to me, and great enemies with a lot of variety.

The game also has a serious sense of humor running throughout, and is kind of a throwback/tribute to old school first person shooters. It has lots of humorous themes, almost like a fun 80's horror movie or music video, like Bikini Babes and stripper clubs and well, you get the picture. (Stuff that a certain highly judgemental and finger waving self righteous types today would probably call "toxic masculinity", lol)

Here is a video of the game on youtube, with no commentary;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-JsBAwE6k

I am definitely going to check this out. :)

I'm a big fan of Duke 3D, and this looks great. I'm surprised he was allowed to use original music and sound effects from Duke 3D.

It takes a bit of work to download and set up, etc, but well worth it.You will love it.
I am honestly shocked by how good it is.

It takes a bit of work to download and set up, etc, but well worth it.You will love it.
I am honestly shocked by how good it is.

I just finished the first level, and yeah, it's really impressive for a mod. I liked how he used the level design from Duke 3D but slightly reimagined. Some of the old secrets are still there.

I also like how he added friendly NPCs. The large battle where they assist you was fun. That modder has some serious (no pun intended) talent.

It's a shame you're having those issues because Bioshock 2 is pretty good. I've played and finished all the Bioshock games except for Infinite's DLCs. I preferred the first two games myself. Infinite had a slightly more interesting narrative, but I liked the setting, atmosphere, and gameplay more in the earlier games.

I didn't find the gameplay in BS 1 or 2 that compelling. To me it feels very much light a lesser Dishonored. And a lot of times I found the shooting and combat pretty clunky. I haven't played Infinite in a long time, but I don't remember feeling that way about it. I do remember a distinctive difference between them, which is the main reason why I finished Infinite before I managed to finish Bioshock 1. But my enjoyment of Bioshock 1 was also tainted by the fact that I also played it on a higher difficulty (second to highest) and it forced me to min-max, and I constantly found myself shooting at bullet sponges, since I didn't have the exact ammo type for the exact enemy. I also played Infinite on the highest difficulty, but don't remember that same issue, aside from some of the fights being very difficult, like the last massife fight right before the end of Infinite. Of course, in Infinite I also made constant use of those air rails. I remember that was a lot of fun.

But to be honest, most of my above complaints are for Bioshock 1. In part 2 I didn't have as many issues, aside from the fact that even though I'm playing as a Big Daddy, I think I died a whole lot more than in the first game. I'd constantly be against some random enemy that tears into my health like knife through butter. I felt a whole lot more vulnerable, as far as taking damage, than as a normal being in Bioshock 1. But the greatest thing BS2 did was get rid of the hacking minigame. I did a lot of hacking in BS1, and never had enough autohacks, so I played that minigame until it came out of my ears. :D

Actually, seems something was pulling at me, and I got back into Bioshock 2. I redid the whole sister fight and the big brute fight and it was easier than last time. Balancing is a weird thing, how it can impact the game. I'm currently playing the medium difficulty in BS2 and it's way easier than the second to hardest was in BS1.

Also @JDR13;: Does it support Co-Op mode?

Either way I'll have to wait for the next sale for Serious Sam 3. Too bad it's the only SS that's not on GOG.

According to the mod page, it does support co-op and versus modes. The mod author does mention though that the maps were designed for single-player.

It can only be used on Steam because you also need Serious Sam Fusion which is exclusive to Steam and is free if you own any of the other SS games.

I didn't find the gameplay in BS 1 or 2 that compelling. To me it feels very much light a lesser Dishonored. And a lot of times I found the shooting and combat pretty clunky. I haven't played Infinite in a long time, but I don't remember feeling that way about it. I do remember a distinctive difference between them, which is the main reason why I finished Infinite before I managed to finish Bioshock 1. But my enjoyment of Bioshock 1 was also tainted by the fact that I also played it on a higher difficulty (second to highest) and it forced me to min-max, and I constantly found myself shooting at bullet sponges, since I didn't have the exact ammo type for the exact enemy. I also played Infinite on the highest difficulty, but don't remember that same issue, aside from some of the fights being very difficult, like the last massife fight right before the end of Infinite. Of course, in Infinite I also made constant use of those air rails. I remember that was a lot of fun.

They all use the same engine and pretty much control the same. Bioshock probably felt clunky because you've played faster shooters like Doom since playing Bioshock Infinite those years ago.

I remember Infinite seeming more difficult, and I'm pretty sure I played all three games on Hard. It could be that it just seemed that way because I didn't enjoy the combat as much in that game.

They all use the same engine and pretty much control the same. Bioshock probably felt clunky because you've played faster shooters like Doom since playing Bioshock Infinite those years ago.

I remember Infinite seeming more difficult, and I'm pretty sure I played all three games on Hard. It could be that it just seemed that way because I didn't enjoy the combat as much in that game.

Could be that I played other smoother shooters, but then how do I explain the fact that I initially picked up Bioshock 1, dropped it halfway through because of the combat, and then skeptically picked up Infinite and seem to remember a whole big difference in how smooth it felt. And I played Infinite on the hardest difficulty that was available on launch, since I remember that I got to the final fight on the airship which I just couldn't beat, so I had to watch the ending of the game on youtube.

Anyway, rose tinted glasses are a thing for sure. I'll see when I get to Infinite, and how I remember it vs how it will be now. I've reached the "western" level (siren alley I think it's called) in BS2, and man, for all the improvements they made they also made a few steps back by making you not just rescue the little sisters from the Big Daddy, but then you also have to go guard them while they harvest Adam. They're really streching out the combat.

As a funny sidenote, while playing Bioshock 1 I remember various references to Adam being harvested from slugs, but I found it interesting that you only see actual raw Adam (in the ocean) in Bioshock 2. I'm sure they used the slugs as a sort of Cthulhu/Lovecraftian reference (Bloodborne did the same); which brings the question why did they not have more Lovecraftian horror in the games. Such a missed opportunity, now that I think about it.

EDIT: And more crashes, so fucking annoying, again during a big sister fight. I think I might be done with the game. I watched the rest of the story on youtube, and it's fine I guess, but I don't think it's worth going through this hassle.

Last edited:
Honestly, it sounds like you're just having issues with those games on your system. I've never seen anyone describe Bioshock as clunky before, nor have I ever heard of B2 crashing that much. In fact, I don't recall ever having a single crash with either game.

I do seem to recall some people having an issue with mouse acceleration though that made the aiming feel sluggish. Iirc, they had to edit the config file to turn it off and that fixed the problem.

Also, it seems to me that part of your frustration stems from your insistence on playing on the harder difficulty. I don't know why you don't just lower it to the next level down.

*Edit* After reading some reviews on Steam, it seems that some people do experience crashing with the remastered versions. It odd that the newer versions would be less stable than the originals, but that seems to be the case.

Last edited:
Honestly, it sounds like you're just having issues with those games on your system. I've never seen anyone describe Bioshock as clunky before, nor have I ever heard of B2 crashing that much. In fact, I don't recall ever having a single crash with either game.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to say that combat is clunky, or more precise, the shooting is what really feels off. It's not tight and precise when you want it. And when you expect it to, like when using a shotgun, it feels like you're missing something that's right in front of you just because the crosshair was a little bit off. But it's a spread weapon … Anyway, melee seems chunky and fine. In BS2 they seem to apply auto-aim even when using a mouse, so that softens the issue a little. But then it feels like too easy to aim. Anyway, no use debating this since it's very personal.

As far as crashing, this is the remastered version, mind you. And i've found plenty of articles saying that the remastered version is very unstable and crashes a lot compared to the base version. I don't know which version you're referring to. Anyway, I don't think it's just me. Plus, I've played plenty of games on this system, and had nowhere this amount of instability in a long time.

Anyway, I've started Minerva's Den, since I heard good things about that one. And it's standalone.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to say that combat is clunky, or more precise, the shooting is what really feels off. It's not tight and precise when you want it. And when you expect it to, like when using a shotgun, it feels like you're missing something that's right in front of you just because the crosshair was a little bit off. But it's a spread weapon … Anyway, melee seems chunky and fine. In BS2 they seem to apply auto-aim even when using a mouse, so that softens the issue a little. But then it feels like too easy to aim. Anyway, no use debating this since it's very personal.

I'm particularly anal when it comes to the mouse aiming in first-person shooters, and I definitely didn't experience what you're describing. I wonder if you're having the issue with mouse acceleration that I mentioned.

Either that, or it's an issue with the remasters.

As far as crashing, this is the remastered version, mind you. And i've found plenty of articles saying that the remastered version is very unstable and crashes a lot compared to the base version. I don't know which version you're referring to. Anyway, I don't think it's just me. Plus, I've played plenty of games on this system, and had nowhere this amount of instability in a long time.

Yeah, I mentioned that about the remastered versions in my last post, but you probably didn't see the edit before you replied. The crashing seems to be an issue with those versions.

Back
Top Bottom