The Science Thread

Brrs ? ;)

It's an impressive demo, really shows the care that must be put into designing the key generation algorithms. Most if not all encryption algorithms have weak keys, and new weaknesses are constantly discovered, that's why cryptography papers have to be monitored.

Then there's the issue of quantic computers, I've never looked into this.

PS: Timing and side-channel attacks are impressive too, by the way, or attacks on the random generator (maybe it could be used in RPG? :p).

Side-channel attacks rely on statistics and measures of what is emitted by the device doing the operation, and stats are a very powerful tool. I could demonstrate that one day to our management who wouldn't believe it. Their idea was that, if the key could be discovered by monitoring the chip consumption, all it required was adding more noise :lol: A simulation of the "noisy" chip that emulated the power consumption showed that the key could be recovered in a very short time - stats don't care about noise. It was fun.

All that to say, those algorithms can leak pretty much everywhere.

An impressive speech about our current culture by Dr Gabor Mate Leaves:

History : The Colonist Thomas Morton and his
Quote from there :

Thanks for that link. I was born not far from his Massachusetts camp but never heard of him. I am not surprised, however, since that era in our history has been thoroughly whitewashed. Such as the fact that the town I now live in was an active participant in the trans Atlantic slave trade and my own house was owned by a slave ship captain from 1799 to 1817. This part of our history has only come to light in the last ten or so years after being successfully buried for 200 years.

Uh. That sounds ... kind of horrible. Good that there are diggers digging out these parts of history, too.

Largest bacterium ever discovered has an unexpectedly complex cell

By definition, microbes are supposed to be so small they can only be seen with a microscope. But a newly described bacterium living in Caribbean mangroves never got that memo (see video, above). Its threadlike single cell is visible to the naked eye, growing up to 2 centimeter - as long as a peanut - and 5000 times bigger than many other microbes. What's more, this giant has a huge genome that's not free floating inside the cell as in other bacteria, but is instead encased in a membrane, an innovation characteristic of much more complex cells, like those in the human body.

The bacterium was unveiled in a preprint posted online last week and it has astounded some researchers who have reviewed its features.
[. . .]
The largest T. magnifica cell Volland found was 2 centimeters tall, but Carvalho thinks that if not trampled, eaten, blown by wind, or washed away by a wave, they could grow even bigger.

This one belongs (to some degree) in this thread:

periodic_table_changes.png

I have a couple of colmments:
  1. Let Ytterby keep it's rare metals.
  2. In stead of adapting the symbols to the obnoxious names the English use for Natrium (Sodium - puke!!!) and Kalium (Potassium - PUUUKE!, why not adapt the English to use the proper names?!?!?!?! (And correct spelling of Aluminium is "Aluminium"!!!!)
  3. Since I am a Mathematica fanboy, I am against replacing the symbol for Wolfram with Tg!!!
  4. Incorporating the Lanthanids and Actinids in the main table is a good idea!
pibbuR who thinks some elements, if they were to change names, should be named after Norway and pibbuR

I would add Freemium !

Yawn if they ever make a colony on the moon or finally build a proper space station let me know. Seems NASA hasn't really done anything great since the moon landing.

Yes…I'm sure they did something in the last forty years.

(Waste money and commercialize space):p

Yawn if they ever make a colony on the moon or finally build a proper space station let me know. Seems NASA hasn't really done anything great since the moon landing.

Yes…I'm sure they did something in the last forty years.

(Waste money and commercialize space):p

They did. This was quite monumental. ;)

It's one below the belt, they have my respect for all the missions and projects they've done so far, risky or not.

An intersting (and to me very impressing) comparison of Hubble and Webb pictures taken from the same areas in space:

James Webb vs. Hubble: Compare their images side-by-side (https://thenextweb.com/news/james-webb-vs-hubble-compare-images-side-by-side)

Here's one example, the JW image is the one to the right. Observe the gravital lensing significantly more clearly visible in the right image.
comparison-smc.jpg

pibbuR who as said is impressed and will probably after the upcoming lockdown spam the watch with more Webb stuff.

An intersting (and to me very impressing) comparison of Hubble and Webb pictures taken from the same areas in space:

If I remember correctly, Hubble had also an optical problem that had to be corrected by software, then by a long series of repair missions. I don't know if it ever recovered its intended image quality but it must have failed to deliver as much as initially planned.

I also have optical problems. These are corrected by a pair of glasses. :D

To be serious again : Yes, quite impressive, what Webby is able to do.

A science fail, today. "This is of course bad."

Here's a wacky thought: Maybe don't let that bloody thing, which could assemble cars, sit next to children.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom