XenForo forums: Tips, Tricks & Questions

Any new news posting should now show as you would expect. Event the post count of the one posting the news is updated correctly.

Bookmarks are created on clicking on the bookmark icon, above each post. They can be browsed by clicking on the login name (top right) and selecting "Bookmarks" - it's barely visible in white on light cyan. Or from the account details.

1658261719914.png

You can join a "Label", which is a series of tags, and a "Message", which replaces the post by the message when you browse the bookmarks (to show a summary only, for ex). It's very handy if you need to keep track of a few posts.

Note: the first time I created 3 bookmarks, and when I tried to add a label it didn't work. When I edited them from the bookmark page to add the label again, it didn't work either. When I tried a 3rd time it did work. I have no idea what happened. :D

I've added a few useful tips to the first post so that I'm not creating a new separate thread for this. Note that I'm borrowing this from my similar thread on the Codex, so I added the description for the Fluid styles as well, but these are not yet available as @Arhu has not added them yet. I also renamed all the styles so that it's easier to distinguish what's what.

Just want to add I love the upgraded ignore option. As you no longer see the posts. Anyway I don't use it much but it saves me headaches, and I'm glad it was upgraded.🥂

Good to hear someone likes it, can't say that it's universal as in some other communities ignore working across the board wasn't exactly welcomed. I haven't looked into this yet, but since how ignore works is largely a personal preference, it should ideally be configurable on a user level and not just all or nothing.

True it depends on the user but sometimes it's needed.

@Pladio, @Stingray: There's a fluid style now. This also gets rid of the empty placeholder column on the right.

@Taluntain: The colored FAQ headlines in the first post don't look good in the light style. Better to just not use colors I guess. Would be great if they could be defined in the styles somewhere...

@Pladio, @Stingray: There's a fluid style now. This also gets rid of the empty placeholder column on the right.
Great!
@Taluntain: The colored FAQ headlines in the first post don't look good in the light style. Better to just not use colors I guess. Would be great if they could be defined in the styles somewhere...
Oh yeah. That's always going to be a problem with a dark and light style, practically no same colours will work on both. Would need to either only allow a few different colours and do the remapping of each so that a suitable colour would be used on the other style, or just disallow using colours altogether. But not being able to use colours in text when warranted makes it all pretty dull and and hard to read.

Thanks, I'll give it a go when I'm on my pc :)

@Arhu can you make the margins/padding around the content area the same on the Fixed Width styles as on the Fluid ones now? There's so much space around all the elements within the main content area already in Fixed Width that there's no need to have much extra on the sides too.

Ok, maybe "fluid" is too much :D
Can there be some kind of margin? It's like on Word going from super-wide to super-narrow margins...
That's what Fluid styles are like and those who want to use them, want them just as they are now. Limiting them in any way would make them fixed width. If Arhu makes the change I proposed above, the Fixed Width ones will have a little more space, but what you want would probably be to have the text span the width of the empty third column in Fixed Width styles too, same as on the Fluid ones.

Hmmm - I don't know. I feel like this fixed width has margins which are way too wide.
Fluid simply has no margins.

This is how it looks on my PC for fixed, which just means that literally half the space of my monitor is unused.

Maybe having the margins and the font easily customisable as a variable would work best. This way everyone can do what they want.

EDIT: Alternatively - I'll just use the 12 pixel one and zoom in as that'll bring the text size back to 15 and seems to make better use of space.

1658686655162.png

That is the whole point of Fluid, it stretches the entire width of the available screen size. It's the definition of Fluid, it behaves like a spilled fluid. ;) Many people who use it have their browser in a window, so it's not stretched excessively for them. But a lot of people do love ridiculously stretched lines of text, beats me why, but I've seen this preference with hundreds of users.

Also, on resolutions which aren't very high and if you have the Windows Start bar on the side and not at the bottom as I do and Windows scaling at 125-150%, it works perfectly, so I now use it myself. What you see on the screen will depend largely on your setup and settings. On my setup, there's very little unused space on both sides, but as I said, that will differ from one user's setup to another.

I don't know if margins can be made customizable like the fonts, that'd probably make the whole thing overly complicated for the average user. But anyway, if Arhu makes the changes I mentioned above, it should be a bit better for you on Fixed Width too.

Last edited:
Using it now, it's amazing. Never figured I would have been able to have RPGWatch use my whole browser window someday 😂 Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom