The "I Just Bought" thread

Might fit nicely into the entrance counter in my firm ! I have noticed there, that this is now the 3rd plant that died there ... Our theory is that someone gives them too much water ... I have told my collegues that we probably need "a water plant" ! ;)

15872168_800.jpg

Always wanted to be able to play an instrument and today I finally got one. Now I need to practice, regularly. First steps: C and G. :)🎵

Well, it seems the graphics cards retail merchants really have us over a barrel, over here in Romania.

There's very little options in terms of what's available, the graphics card market already being quite niche, especially for the highend cards. But with the world situation being aggravated as it is, it's even worse over here.

The prices are just insane, in that they actually seem randomly assigned. I was looking for a 3080, since I hear the 3080 ti is not that significantly more powerful. But there's none of the models that are decent, in terms of how they perform, performance vs temperature especially. So I was kind of forced to go for a 3080 Ti. Namely a ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce® RTX™ 3080 Ti. And it comes out at just under 2k euros. Holy shit. It seems to perform, overall, at roughtly 2X the performance, at the same temperatures as my current 1080 Ti. We'll how it goes. I'll have no qualms about returning it for any issue I have with it, aside from the super inflated price.

Namely a ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce® RTX™ 3080 Ti. And it comes out at just under 2k euros.
Isn't that less expensive to import it from another European country like Germany or Poland? They're half the price there, at least for the Pny brand which seems to have a pretty good renown.

Isn't that less expensive to import it from another European country like Germany or Poland? They're half the price there, at least for the Pny brand which seems to have a pretty good renown.
Yeah, i did just that. I got off the barrell. I got it at around 1200 euros from amazon. I hope I won't have to return it.

EDIT: Hm, I just realized how I just hoodwinked myself. I went in looking for a 3080, only found a 3080 ti locally. And then when I jumped to amazon, I forgot about what I was looking for initially. And the 3080 apparently around 300 euros cheaper than the Ti. Oh, well.

Last edited:
My video card died about a month ago, so I had to get a new one. The old one lasted me over ten years, so I guess I cannot complain. The old one had no built in memory, so the new one with four gigs is a significant upgrade, and the price seemed very reasonable. I've had it in for about two weeks now and all seems good, haven't really tried it out with anything yet except Everquest two.

Now we know why you don't play a lot of modern games. ;)

Glad you were able to find something you liked at a good price. As long as you can play the games you want to play, that's all that matters.

This:
IMG_20221008_083913.jpg
A new ergometerbike. A Spirit CU800.

My last one died last week.. This time I decided to buy a professional one. It's expensive, but it should last me for many years. Another reason for choosing this particular bike is that the vendor offers service in Bergen (which was a problem with the last one).

Now, in many cases, an ergometerbike ends up being just part of the furniture and not used. This is not a problem in my case. I have managed to wear out 3 bikes before this one. I use it at last 6 days a week, up to 2 hours each time (watching movies/tv series on the MS surface). So I needed a bike that could handle extensive use.

pibbuR who thinks this one is the best he's ever had.

PS. Took more than as week from the death of the old one to the new one was installed. Now I know how abstinence reactions feel like. DS.

PPS. Why an ergometerbike? Surely there are more efficient ways to exercise? Well, the most efficient exercise is the one that you actually do.- And I like using said device. So there. DS.

I just bought an 8bitdo Pro 2 controller.

Buying it mostly for retro gaming and those few genres (e.g. car racing) that I find better with a controller. I haven't played any of those for a while, but now that I want to again I'm finding that my current controller (an old Logitech G310) is being used by one of the kids for skate boarding sims n stuff.

I wanted something with the PlayStation controller stick layout, that was relatively cheap but still with good build quality, and this fits the bill.

Haven't changed my wireless headphones that I use while out and about for ages, and the battery was starting to show. Plus, I had just lost my ear tip and didn't want to bother getting new ones. So, I changed them altogether. I went from a Jaybird X4 to Sony WF-1000XM4. I still have the WH-1000XM3 as full headphones while indoors and those were fantastic.

So far so good. They seem pretty decent. I'll see how they evolve.

I've been gaining a lot of weight in the last few years, and after multiple failed attempts to keep consistent I decided I would try to reproduce a serious weightloss I did a few years ago. Which was mostly keeping control of my diet, and biking around 2h every day, since it's so low-impact compared to most anything else. So I went ahead got myself a spin bike. A stages sc3. From what I've seen it should take a beating at my 130kg. I hope it lasts me for a good long while.

f927753d-75c1-440f-ae05-7413ca9b5349.jpg

XBox Elite Series 2. My first controller, ever. Enabled me to finally play lots of games I've been missing out on, particularly Jump'n'Runs.

Plague Tale was more fun this way, compared to Mouse and Keyboard. The relatively slow pace lends itself well to it. I also tried Tomb Raider, but while running around is more fun with a gamepad, aiming the bow quickly is by far superior with a mouse, so it was a draw (ha!).

This:
65_2cf9c31cf5-cura-pearl-classic-3kg-white_3-original.jpg

It's a 9 kg weighted duvet.

Weighted duvets are said to improve sleep quality, especially for those of us (yours truly included) sleeping restlessly. There are actually some evidence that it makes sense for instance for patients suffering from depression. And yes, it works for me.

They tend to be quite expensive, but I got it dirt black week cheap.

pibbuZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

On my side, I'm trying to buy the trilogy of The Lord of the Rings, same hardback / illustrated by Alan Lee that I had for The Fall of Numenor, a real delight.

But I'm failing miserably, I literally have a stack of damaged books that were sent by Amazon and that I'll have to return. So far I could get 2 of the 3 books in good state, but the middle one seems impossible to get in proper condition, no matter which warehouse it's sent from.

I realize now that I buy most of my books in electronic format now, so I don't have this problem too often, but when I buy physical books from Amazon I often have to return them one or even several times. The fact they are not protected as they were a few years ago doesn't help, it's often due to the transport. But this time, since the parcels themselves looked undamaged and the books didn't have the usual publisher's wrapping, it means they've shipped the books in that state to begin with and that they had been previously returned by other customers, which is not great. :( They do look like they've been moved around a lot, nothing like a new item.

The publisher is in the UK so with Brexit, there aren't many alternatives to avoid customs, who often damage the goods when they inspect the packages. So I'm doing my best to harass Amazon but they don't seem to care one bit.

You'd think that in 2022 we wouldn't have issues with deliveries anymore...

I've purchased a new computer , the first new one for me in almost thirteen years. I'm not too sure when I'll actually receive it, though it appears they were certainly quick enough to already dock my card. I suspect at least another week or two before I get to see if I can figure out how to use it!

Back
Top Bottom