Black Geyser - Interview by Couchpotato

Enjoy I'll try to get some other interviews done in the following months as well.
Thanks a lot, I've enjoyed it! :)

One minor thing: Some of the questions are adressed at "you" while others are adressed at "they". I guess that's from copying the questions from other watchers?
I think it would be nice to rephrase them to also adress "you".

I really hope they get enough funding for a sequel. Couldn't Embracer/THQ just buy or fund them?

Thanks a lot, I've enjoyed it! :)

One minor thing: Some of the questions are adressed at "you" while others are adressed at "they". I guess that's from copying the questions from other watchers?
I think it would be nice to rephrase them to also adress "you".

[...]
done.

The first four questions and last two were from me. The rest were from a thread I started last week to allow anyone on the forum to ask questins as well. So well spotted.

I really hope they get enough funding for a sequel. Couldn't Embracer/THQ just buy or fund them?
That would be interesting to hear their thoughts about a possible publisher to get more funds, though they already have one. It's giving up on freedom too, so it must be a difficult choice.

Isn't that early to get bought? It's but one single indie game for now, they probably want to make something else before. By the way, THQ was quite disappointing recently with their support and erratic release management of Expeditions: Rome, and I wasn't the only one feeling that way. So let's hope not. ;)

Wish them good luck ... definitely wasn't the next drago age:O

I think that would be easier to sell to a publisher for a bigger budget.

That greed system just killed any interest i had in it, maybe someday i'll try it.
The only suggestion i could think of would be try geting into micorsoft gamepass maybe they would bite.. The question is how hard is to get in...and at what cost

That would be interesting to hear their thoughts about a possible publisher to get more funds, though they already have one. It's giving up on freedom too, so it must be a difficult choice.

Isn't that early to get bought? It's but one single indie game for now, they probably want to make something else before. ;)
Yeah they already have a publisher but it's a small unknown one called V publishing.
By the way, THQ was quite disappointing recently with their support and erratic release management of Expeditions: Rome, and I wasn't the only one feeling that way. So let's hope not.
I'm still waiting for GOG to get the last few patches. Though it seems like THQ has gone silent as well. I hope it isn't due to low sales and lack of interest in further content.

Yeah they already have a publisher but it's a small unknown one called V publishing.

I'm still waiting for GOG to get the last few patches. Though it seems like THQ has gone silent as well. I hope it isn't due to low sales and lack of interest in further content.
Yeah, it looked like a small publisher.

The GOG-THQN is a sad affair. I've tried for the past 4 months to communicate with them but it's a dead end. "we're investigating" is their motto. Daveyd has tried too, and a few others as well. Now I'm trying to see if at least they'd be willing to compensate with Steam keys but I don't think it'll go anywhere.

EDIT: sure enough, GOG redirects me to THQN, and THQN tells me to contact GOG (when they deign to answer at all).

Dark Crystal Games seemed happy with the "new" Prime Matter (one of Koch Media's labels) publisher deal, they had also jumped ship from another smaller publisher. It must be quite the decision though, but maybe a better deal than a uber Embracer Group at this stage?

Last edited:
Haven't played the game yet (due to work and hot weather), but bought it months ago and will also buy any DLC they put out. These are the games I want, even when they are a bit rough around the edges. I wish them all the best and hope they can secure some more funding in the future.

Also, thanks Couch for the interview!

Isn't that early to get bought? It's but one single indie game for now, they probably want to make something else before. By the way, THQ was quite disappointing recently with their support and erratic release management of Expeditions: Rome
Couldn't Embracer/THQ just buy or fund them?

It seems that Embracer/THQN is not very interested in isometric RPGs - unless its famous IP like BG or IWD. You can see that Logic Artists lost most ppl who went to do some "NFT MP game whatever". Im not sure if sales of Exp Rome are high enough to convince THQ to form new proper team around Jonas and few others and make new RPG.

Maybe Jonas will eventually start again with new studio to make new historical RPG, probably smaller one.
Just with different name. For example "Campaigns" or "Conquerors" (Conquerors: Mongols - see the end of our interview :) )

It seems that Embracer/THQN is not very interested in isometric RPGs - unless its famous IP like BG or IWD. You can see that Logic Artists lost most ppl who went to do some "NFT MP game whatever". Im not sure if sales of Exp Rome are high enough to convince THQ to form new proper team around Jonas and few others and make new RPG.

Maybe Jonas will eventually start again with new studio to make new historical RPG, probably smaller one.
Just with different name. For example "Campaigns" or "Conquerors" (Conquerors: Mongols - see the end of our interview :) )
I've been wondering about that too. I was expecting some official statement about it, but nothing so far. There was some hope that something else would be made if the sales were good but it was vague and perhaps just empty words to calm things down.

My hope is that the few who don't leave to join Dynasty Studios create a new studio and continue with a new project as you suggest, with a better publisher. There won't be many of them left unfortunately, from what we can see on the D.S. website, but maybe Jonas would be able to find other people for this new project. The past games are a good reference.

I've been wondering about that too. I was expecting some official statement about it, but nothing so far. There was some hope that something else would be made if the sales were good but it was vague and perhaps just empty words to calm things down.

PR department prohibited any such statement. :cool:
Exp Rome had pretty good start on Steam and probably have steady sales but its far below ARPGs. (except Elex 2 :) )
I wonder how Encased devs are going. Or Outward devs. Do you know something? They are under Prime Matter, which is different publisher in the same group.
Encased sales are like 2-3x less than Exp Rome. So they could be in trouble, but..... Encased is Kickstarted game so maybe publisher is happy because they put only few bucks into it. On the other hand THQN funded Exp Rome including complete voice overs and now they are unhappy that it doesnt have sales of Horizon Zero Dawn 2. :)

My hope is that the few who don't leave to join Dynasty Studios create a new studio and continue with a new project as you suggest, with a better publisher. There won't be many of them left unfortunately, from what we can see on the D.S. website, but maybe Jonas would be able to find other people for this new project. The past games are a good reference.

Yeah, it seems its our best bet. They could work remotely like Encased developers and other indie teams. But we couldnt expect next Rome. First game would be probably on the level of Conquistadors. Or smaller Viking.

wonder how Encased devs are going. Or Outward devs. Do you know something? They are under Prime Matter, which is different publisher in the same group. Encased is Kickstarted game so maybe publisher is happy because they put only few bucks into it. On the other hand THQN funded Exp Rome including complete voice overs and now they are unhappy that it doesnt have sales of Horizon Zero Dawn 2. :)
Dark Crystal Games are still around, actually we're currently preparing an interview with them. :)

They're mostly Russian, a number of them are at St Petersburg and other places in Russia, some are in Bulgaria, UK, ... So it's hard to ask anything about the current political / economical situation but it's safe to say that it must not be ideal. They will never really comment on their relationship with Prime Matter either, but it looks like it allowed them to deliver what they were initially planning, and more. Much later than announced, but that's hardly shocking with KS projects. I hope they keep making games, they have talent, good ideas and for a first indie game it was a very good quality level, even if not everything was perfect.

Owlcat Games also turned to Prime Matter at the last minute for WotR on PC, I'm not sure why, they first idea was to self-publish. EDIT: my mistake, it was META Publishing and not Prime Matter, they're located at Nicosia (Cyprus) too, like Owlcat Games.

I thought that Expeditions Rome had had good sales, but of course it's a special type of RPG game with a hint of strategy, tactical TB combat and a historical setting. So I doubt they were ever hoping for sales numbers comparable to action games made for a wide audience. ;) Maybe that's why they didn't port it to consoles.

Last edited:
Well shucks I'm honored I guess. :blush:

Here I thought our site was to indie. Now I just have to translate their replies.:whew:

Last edited:
Well shucks I'm honored I guess. :blush:

Here I thought our site was was to indie. Now I just have to translate their replies.:whew:
International recognition, at last! ;)

They find the interview interesting; one says it's frustrating and a little sad, and the part about starting as a servant sold him on the game.

They will never really comment on their relationship with Prime Matter either, but it looks like it allowed them to deliver what they were initially planning, and more. Much later than announced, but that's hardly shocking with KS projects. I hope they keep making games, they have talent, good ideas and for a first indie game it was a very good quality level, even if not everything was perfect.

When I mentioned Dark Crystal Games and Prime Matter, I meant the difference between future of one RPG developer under THQN (Exp Rome devs) and another RPG developer like Dark Crystal Games under Prime Matter. Exp Rome has bigger sales but still it was planned for some time to move most devs to more mainstream project (NTF and MP) and end Expeditions series at least for some time. While Prime Matter is probably happy with LOWER sales of Encased. So I wonder if Prime Matter has different requirements or Encased was much cheaper for publisher (it seems it really was) than Exp Rome.

Or maybe its just the contract - Logic Artists sold everything to THQN so it was a risk that this situation may happen. While Dark Crystal Games didnt do that.

Owlcat Games also turned to Prime Matter at the last minute for WotR on PC, I'm not sure why, they first idea was to self-publish. EDIT: my mistake, it was META Publishing and not Prime Matter, they're located at Nicosia (Cyprus) too, like Owlcat Games.

Did whole Owlcat moved to Cyprus pretty recently? Or they have been there for few years already?

I thought that Expeditions Rome had had good sales, but of course it's a special type of RPG game with a hint of strategy, tactical TB combat and a historical setting. So I doubt they were ever hoping for sales numbers comparable to action games made for a wide audience. ;) Maybe that's why they didn't port it to consoles.
It was mostly joke but you probably understand me. Exp Rome has pretty good sales and very good reviews and publicity but it seems its not enough for them so I wonder what sales they expected. :)

Anyway if Jonas wont start new studio in near future, there is a hole in the market that someone could try to take - story-driven historical RPG with tactical (TB?) combat.

They do it for some time. Another RPGWatch interview on their site: :)

When I mentioned Dark Crystal Games and Prime Matter, I meant the difference between future of one RPG developer under THQN (Exp Rome devs) and another RPG developer like Dark Crystal Games under Prime Matter. Exp Rome has bigger sales but still it was planned for some time to move most devs to more mainstream project (NTF and MP) and end Expeditions series at least for some time. While Prime Matter is probably happy with LOWER sales of Encased. So I wonder if Prime Matter has different requirements or Encased was much cheaper for publisher (it seems it really was) than Exp Rome.

Or maybe its just the contract - Logic Artists sold everything to THQN so it was a risk that this situation may happen. While Dark Crystal Games didnt do that.
With two projects that are so different, it's hard to compare anything. Logic Artists already had two projects behind them, and I think THQ Nordic was publisher from the beginning so the risk was not the same, they knew them quite well. Although Encased was nearly finished when Prime Matter came in, they could see what was done and they only had 9 or 10 months left of development.

Did whole Owlcat moved to Cyprus pretty recently? Or they have been there for few years already?
They didn't move, it's only their official HQ. The developers have always been in Moscow. I don't know if the HQ location makes it easier for them.

It was mostly joke but you probably understand me. Exp Rome has pretty good sales and very good reviews and publicity but it seems its not enough for them so I wonder what sales they expected. :)

Anyway if Jonas wont start new studio in near future, there is a hole in the market that someone could try to take - story-driven historical RPG with tactical (TB?) combat.
But wasn't it enough for them? For my part I don't know that, I haven't seen any sales figure, nor any statement. They've been awfully quiet so far.

Yeah, I like the type of setting. But it's hard to make, because historical + game means there's a fine line between accuracy and freedom of play, and it's impossible to please everyone. You need to do a good deal of research to get it right and find an interesting story to tell. It also limits the variety of enemies, the number of classes, the weapons. And at the end of the day, I'm not sure it captivates a large audience in comparison to fantasy, horror or sci-fi.

Back
Top Bottom