What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

One of my favorite film series when I was a kid. The Showa era (1950s-80s) was the golden age of Godzilla. Everything since then has been mediocre at best.
Agreed, though the 80's were actually a reboot from the somewhat campy 70's films. The '54 and even Godzilla Raids Again were the better films, IMO, up until Ghidrah. Afterward, Godzilla went more into friendly neighborhood monster that they called to fight other monsters, rather than the unstoppable force of nature in the first few films.
I enjoyed Shin Godzilla quite a bit. Not as frightening as the original, but very much in the style of the early ones brought into the modern age.
It was too bright, which exposed the silly rubber suitness of Godzilla himself. The eyes of the first two forms were hilariously bad though. Even the later friendly Godzilla from the 70's had better eyes.

I've also been watching the other monster films of the era, like Gamera, or Reptilicus as well as Godzilla. I hadn't watched any since I was a kid, until seeing them pop up on You Tube. Most all of the early ones are on Archive as well.

Anyone here knows if there's a real alternative to IMDb? Seems it's like a monopoly almost.

Also, looking forward to The Whale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whale_(2022_film)

I used to be a huge fan of Aronofsky, but I've found his last couple of movies underwhelming.

Here's hoping this is a return to form. Same goes for Brendan Fraser - which I always found to be a decent actor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here knows if there's a real alternative to IMDb? Seems it's like a monopoly almost.

Also, looking forward to The Whale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whale_(2022_film)

I used to be a huge fan of Aronofsky, but I've found his last couple of movies underwhelming.

Here's hoping this is a return to form. Same goes for Brendan Fraser - which I always found to be a decent actor.
Letterboxd? It's pretty decent. But doesn't include tv series, afair.

The premise doesn't interest me, but I might check it out just to see Fraser's performance which is getting rave reviews. I've seen "Oscar" being thrown around.

I've seen "Oscar" being thrown around.
Oscars being thrown around is a distinct possibility at next year's ceremony.

Last edited:
I loved X. A return to House of the Devil form for Ti West.

Watching The Innocents now. Top shelf child acting (and they're unknowns, at least outside Norway), very difficult for me to watch.

Well, I would prefer a site that wasn't blatantly manipulated to such a degree - but I guess there really isn't an alternative.

It's not a big deal, but I don't feel comfortable making use of sites when I'm aware of that level of corruption.

Anyway, where Oscars are concerned - that's another thing I stopped caring about years ago.

It's not that I don't think it can be a measure of merit - it's that half the time it's also a measure of political interest.

Much like 90% of greenlit Hollywood scripts.

When I say political interest, I really mean monetary interest that's based on playing the populist game through political pandering.

I doubt there's any manipulation of the user's scores but I may be wrong. There are many series and movies available on Prime that have a pretty bad score on IMDB. Actually, most of the content was very average until 1-2 years ago.

But I'm sceptical about global scores in general since they mean little more than a mix of subjective appreciations. Besides, there might be a large bias if the people who cast scores are in majority native English-speaking and living in the US. There's common ground but we still have a little of our own culture in Europe, where the preferences are not always the same, even between different European countries.

If I see a good score there or on Rotten Tomatoes or whatever, it just means to me that it's worth trying. If it's very bad I try to see why in the reviews.

I doubt there's any manipulation of the user's scores but I may be wrong. There are many series and movies available on Prime that have a pretty bad score on IMDB. Actually, most of the content was very average until 1-2 years ago.

But I'm sceptical about global scores in general since they mean little more than a mix of subjective appreciations. Besides, there might be a large bias if the people who cast scores are in majority native English-speaking and living in the US. There's common ground but we still have a little of our own culture in Europe, where the preferences are not always the same, even between different European countries.

If I see a good score there or on Rotten Tomatoes or whatever, it just means to me that it's worth trying. If it's very bad I try to see why in the reviews.
It's not the scores, it's the reviews. Amazon is currently actively hiding negative reviews for Rings of Power, for instance.

Now, it has no bearing on me personally - and I have zero interest in whatever Amazon is doing for their own greedy purposes.

I just don't want to make use of corrupted sites if I can help it, as I'm big on trying to get as accurate a picture of things as possible.

For that same reason, I don't watch Fox News or, say, MSNBC.

I don't use and have never used IMDB for reviews or ratings, so I didn't even think about that. I use it solely to look up who is in and who made a movie (or what movies a person has been in/worked on)

The Glen Miller Story (1954)

On the topic of movies about dead rock icons, they're not a new thing. The Glen Miller story is as poignant and interesting as all the others, Miller's just from a much forgotten era, that of pre-1950s. Still, a revolutionary from humble beginnings who rose from nowhere to become the sound of an era.

And you can tell he was much beloved as James Stewart expertly plays the itinerant Miller, you don't get much more top-drawer than that. Sort of the Tom Hanks of the post-war years.

There's much more than that here in terms of star power as well. Probably one of the film's best scenes is a full set by Louis Armstrong himself:

1000712494.jpg

And more than that, the leading lady is superb, June Allyson, whom I'd never heard of before, but she was absolutely a scene stealer. More than that, she plays the exact kind of 'strong woman' so many modern writers just don't seem to be able to write. Like they say, behind every great man is an even greater woman!

On top of that there's a young Colonel Sherman T Potter of MASH fame, for those who loved that series and are curious to see him acting in his prime. He's Harry Morgan and he plays Miller's bestie, unironically called Chummy.

The.Glenn_.Mller_.Story_.1954.BluRy_.1080p.UNSOLOCLIC.INFO11.jpg

I will not lie, Glen Miller was well before my time. All of our times I should think, and I had no idea what to expect of this. All I knew was he was a band leader and I enjoyed some of his most popular hits. However, by the end of the film I was most certainly a fan created. It does a fantastic job of warming you to the legend, who, of course, of course, of course, was taken from us far too early in life.

There are flaws however, the most striking being that it spends far too much time in his early pre-fame years before we get rolling with his success, so much so that when he finally does become successful it all feels a bit rushed. So there are pacing issues where it can be too slow one minute and then too fast the next.

This is because the focus of the plot is mostly from the point of view of the fantastic relationship between miller and his wife, their ups and downs and unique bond which, together, created a phenomenon.

srB2LRoHlKO3TBfuN8yfgm3F5hI.jpg

There are lots of great musical sets, some of which could well bring a tear to the eye, but it would have been nice to have more of that, but ain't that always the way with musician biopics!

7.75/10 and I feel mean giving it that as I really want to give it an 8 or more as it really succeeds in making you like and understand the guy.

Back
Top Bottom