Roadwarden - an RPG / Visual Novel / Text Adventure fantasy hybrid (demo available)

I am also curious about how did you deal with the English language? In Couch'es interview, you mention living in Poland and having written the prototype in "terrible English". It seems like the game is well-written from the screenshots and reviews. Did you learn to write better English or did you work with a native speaker while writing the text?

(or did you use Grammarly as I do for writing at work? :LOL:)

Did you compose the soundtrack yourself?
I wish. : ) But I was lucky enough to find someone willing to compose it and record it for me. A few tracks in the game come from different sources, but are in similar style.

Did you learn to write better English or did you work with a native speaker while writing the text?
I had a Canadian editor who spent some of their time explaining to me the most prevalent mistakes I kept making. But I also read two more novels in English, kept watching American YT and learned as I kept writing.
So far people don't seem too distracted by it. : )

I wish. : ) But I was lucky enough to find someone willing to compose it and record it for me. A few tracks in the game come from different sources, but are in similar style.

I had a Canadian editor who spent some of their time explaining to me the most prevalent mistakes I kept making. But I also read two more novels in English, kept watching American YT and learned as I kept writing.
So far people don't seem too distracted by it. : )
Yeah very well done Aureus.

That's amazing. Taking on a project in a foreign language is very difficult so very well done.

Thank you! I had the privilege of living in a country where most children are taught English very early on.

I was also lazy enough to completely half-ass it, so I actually learned the basics when I was 18yo and started to turn off the subtitles as I watched South Park. : P

Excellent game. The only nitpick is the reasonably large amount of typos, most of them related to using "it's" when "its" should have been used.

Congratulations for the success, it's well deserved. I managed to get a pretty good ending!

I really hope you keep making games like this one or even a sequel, or maybe a prequel? ;)🏹

A space based game like this would blow my mind. This genre does not get enough goodness like this, and I think you're fit to fill this niche perfectly.

I don't consider this a nitpick at all! Text is the main tool I use, and if it distracted you, I consider it my failure. Actually, the game's editor has just started playing the game and already sent a long list of things she wants me to change. (And I do exactly that as she's much better at this than I am. ; ))

The game starts to look like a success, though I still need to wait for some time to be sure. I would love to make a slightly different game, oriented more around a small team of adventurers, than on a single traveler. But I still have a few months to decide what comes next.

By "spaced based" do you mean s-f?

I don't consider this a nitpick at all! Text is the main tool I use, and if it distracted you, I consider it my failure. Actually, the game's editor has just started playing the game and already sent a long list of things she wants me to change. (And I do exactly that as she's much better at this than I am. ; ))

The game starts to look like a success, though I still need to wait for some time to be sure. I would love to make a slightly different game, oriented more around a small team of adventurers, than on a single traveler. But I still have a few months to decide what comes next.

By "spaced based" do you mean s-f?
That's great. I am glad it's a success already and I hope it encourages you to keep making games in this genre.

Yes, I meant sci-fi. A space station or space faring setting would be awesome.

That said, I would love to
play a Roadwarden prequel in which you play as Asterion, do everything he did until he met his end. His story really intrigued me and I think most people who played Roadwarden would like that too.

Now that I think about it, a sci-fi game could put a text-heavy format to good use. Having access to narration and the player's openness to read unusual, "alien" dialects or some lore drops could jump over the learning curve and get to the good stuff sooner.

And thank you about your thoughts on a prequel, I heard a similar idea in another place, so maybe it carries some potential. : )

Now that I think about it, a sci-fi game could put a text-heavy format to good use. Having access to narration and the player's openness to read unusual, "alien" dialects or some lore drops could jump over the learning curve and get to the good stuff sooner.

And thank you about your thoughts on a prequel, I heard a similar idea in another place, so maybe it carries some potential. : )
Excellent news! I will be eagerly waiting to purchase your games. =)

Back
Top Bottom