The TV Series discussion thread

Caught the first 20 minutes of the Netflix Dahmer show - before I was interrupted.

Pretty unsettling, I have to say. Not sure if it's going to be for me, but they certainly managed to make the dude creepy.

One thing I noted was the wonderful tension of the music.

Caught the first 20 minutes of the Netflix Dahmer show - before I was interrupted.

Pretty unsettling, I have to say. Not sure if it's going to be for me, but they certainly managed to make the dude creepy.

One thing I noted was the wonderful tension of the music.
It gets more unsettling.

I stopped on the 4th episode for time reasons, but I'm definitely going to finish it later.

The only thing that bugs me is that the guy playing Dahmer was Quicksilver in the X-Men movies, and I can't get that image out of my head.

Last evening I checked out the first episode of Andor and.....well, I have hope. Since Empire, only one show/film has rated even average for me (Rogue One), the rest of the films and telly shows are just awful. I plan on checking out the next couple of episodes within the next month. This show, for the first time in over forty years, made me slightly feel like they actually understand the Star Wars universe.

Aww, cheers @Ripper, I've ordered both, it's not like I'm spending much on games at the moment, 2022 has been the year of the replay for me.
It's certainly something unique, and you'll never look at Udo Kier the same way again. :biggrin:

If you do like Von Trier's style, I'd recommend watching the movie Breaking the Waves. It's pretty dark and gritty, but I think it's an extraordinary film.

Seems I missed this news article. Apparently part 3 of S11 of TWD is starting on October 2, 2022. With the finale in November. Finally, I will probably let it tick towards November before I start the binge of S11. Finally, I can be done with it.

I wonder if Rick or Michonne makes an appearance. I hope for at least that.

I haven't paid any attention to TWD in so long I didn't realize it was still going. For some reason, I thought Season 11 had already aired. I can barely remember Season 10.

IIRC S10 is with the dudes that walk with the undead, and the lady that leads them? I don't know. I just wanna wrap it up and be done with it. It's gotten to a sort-of morbid curiosity as to how it wraps :D
The Whisperers, right? Were they still around in Season 10?

I just remember Eugene taking off to meet the woman he had been talking to over the radio, and they ended up finding that crazy chick with the pink jacket. Towards the end, they get captured by the faction with the stormtrooper-like armor. Can't remember their name.

I'll have to watch some sort of recap before I see the final season.

The Whisperers, right? Were they still around in Season 10?

I just remember Eugene taking off to meet the woman he had been talking to over the radio, and they ended up finding that crazy chick with the pink jacket. Towards the end, they get captured by the faction with the stormtrooper-like armor. Can't remember their name.

I'll have to watch some sort of recap before I see the final season.
I think that's exactly how S10 ends, with them being taken hostage by the storm-trooper dudes.

That's where I stopped, since I want S11 to be complete before I start it.

After 5 episodes, I think I can safely say that House of the Dragon is pretty good. Maybe it's because there's so little on tv that's watchable right now, but I'm enjoying it far more than I expected to.

There's apparently a ten year jump in time before events of the next episode, and several actors will be getting replaced with older actors for certain characters including Princess Rhaenyra. I was disappointed to hear that as I was starting to warm to Milly Alcock.

Yes, House of the Dragon is good, I'm enjoying it too. Maybe I'm easily pleased, seeing earlier critics about recent series.

I'm not fond of time jumps however, but let's see how that looks. I hope Matt Smith stays, at least.

Matt Smith is staying.

Here's a breakdown of the acting changes.

This episode marks the largest time jump in the entire series, with almost a decade passing since the previous episode. Several main cast members have been replaced by adult versions, and eight different children of the main characters are introduced. Discounting baby Joffrey because he doesn't talk yet, while Aegon and Helaena previously appeared as infants/toddlers, this still introduces seven new roles with speaking lines:
[*]Other characters have aged significantly, or even died off-screen:

I've mostly enjoyed House of the Dragon. I saw an article in the paper that asked why the new GoT is so dull. I can see that complaint, as I'd say it was a slow start. But I don't actually mind a bit of time spent setting things up. It's almost a bit like GoT crossed with an old-school BBC period drama.

As it gets going, I can see an upside to that narrower focus. I always found GoT's perspective-jumping a bit frustrating; tracking several plot lines that you catch up with sometimes infrequently.

I saw 3 episodes of Dahmer, and it's interesting, but it also feels kind of weird, almost as if it's trying to rationalize how he got to how he was, and I have a feeling it will do so in a pretty simplistic way, since I'm not sure how you can explain him and based on what? I have a feeling that even if you have an army of psychiatrists trying to explain him, they will come up with very superficial or very much invented explanations. I'm not sure how you can explain how he got to where he ended up, and not be superficial about it and also not just theorize at any possible explanation.

Also, I'm curious what the series is based off. Was he under psychiatric analysis after being caught? I'm not very familiar with how he ends up, but I guess we'll see.

One thing is for sure, it's morbid as hell. And the one thing that is consistent in the story so far, is that society's (especially the police) apprehension and aversion of gay people is part of the reason he managed to get away with so much. Not sure how much of that is true, but it does ring like it could be true.

Also, I'm curious what the series is based off. Was he under psychiatric analysis after being caught? I'm not very familiar with how he ends up, but I guess we'll see.
It's based off what actually happened. They have a fairly accurate understanding of events due to his lengthy confessions and detectives being able to corroborate them with evidence he helped them locate.

I'm on the 7th episode now, and it's still holding my interest despite certain things being done somewhat heavy handedly. It's starting to feel a little stretched out though, and I wonder if this really needed to be 10 episodes.

It's based off what actually happened. They have a fairly accurate understanding of events due to his lengthy confessions and detectives being able to corroborate them with evidence he helped them locate.
Yeah, I'm sure it's based off of what happened, unfortunately it's only based on what was known, and I'm sure there's a lot that they didn't uncover about his life. So I guess what I'm saying is they're probably going to try to explain how he ended up like this based on partial information. I hope they don't include any extrapolations or theories. Unfortunately, being a piece of entertainment, I guess it's gonna be hard to do.

Not that I have a lot more respect for a lot of documentaries that have slowly turned into entertainment pieces.

Anyway, as little as I saw of it, 3 episodes in, it's definitely entertaining. But also morbid as hell.

Back
Top Bottom