What games are you playing now?

The dragon in the swamp: You mean the one near the starting area? I have to admit that I killed the poor beast with my bow from a cliff as one of my first enemies in the game, since he has no chance to hit you there; in the later ones I did it in melee, but I had the mimic tear ash now, so that also wasn't really fair....
You missed out! Killing that dragon from atop the horse is pretty fun, racing back and forth across the swamp. No other dragon in the game was as fun to fight.

The Fang was/is one of my main three weapons and nothing ever changed about its attack for me. You can change the abilities on weapons. Are you sure you didn't do that, perhaps by accident? Upgrading the bonus doesn't do that.
Ok, I'm not sure what is happening, but unless I'm getting something completely wrong it seems my Elden Ring instance is bugged with regards to which animation it uses for triggered skills/ash of war.

I recorded a couple of seconds to show what I mean.
Here's Bloodhound's Fang triggering the Bloodhound Finesse (or what should be) skill (I'm hitting Q, the default for skills, the one I've been using so far).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeMOdbqohyI

And here's a different weapon, with Spinning Slash as the skill, and it uses the exact same animation. Am I doing something wrong? I think it's bugged on me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_wW_yxpVM

There was a patch to 1.07 yesterday and in fact they made a lot of changes to weapons for balancing reasons. May be you check the patch notes, whether you weapon was affected.

W.r.t. the dead lady: Did you kill the lion-like boss at castle Mourne? That triggers it iirc. You should talk to her dad in order to meet him again later.

The dragon in the swamp: You mean the one near the starting area? I have to admit that I killed the poor beast with my bow from a cliff as one of my first enemies in the game, since he has no chance to hit you there; in the later ones I did it in melee, but I had the mimic tear ash now, so that also wasn't really fair....

Yes horse fighting is surly worth learning, but I always confuse right and left swings. So I use the horse mainly for quick hit and run attacks if I don't have the patience to fight a slow melee enemy on foot.
I did kill the lion boss in Stormveil, if that's the one you mean? I didn't talk to her dad at all since I never really delved too deep into Weeping Peninsula. Just got some grace points and got the map.

About the dragon, yeah, that one. Agheel I think it's called. It was a blast fighting it.

I experiemented some more, and basically it seems that with any weapon I equip, regardless of the ash of war it uses, I still get the same attack animation as in the above videos I link. So it seems all ash of wars are broken for me, for this playthrough. And even more interesting, activating them uses FP, but even if I reach 0 FP, I can still cast the same ash of war.

Yeah, I've been thinking about stopping this playthrough of Elden Ring, especially since I hear there's some rumours of DLC. So maybe this bug is a good opportunity to do that. I don't want to play the rest of the game with no ash of war weapon abilities.

I can't remember if I saw this behavior pre 1.07, which just came out. Or if it started with this patch.

Anyway, I'm sort of glad. I was looking for a good enough reason to stop this playthrough, and just start it back up later on, when either it's more stable or they release any DLC. Or heaven forbid they fix the fucking ultrawide support :p

EDIT: Oh oh, it seems it's deeper than I thought. I started a new test playthrough, with the Samurai who starts with the katana and the Unsheathe ash of war. And, same issue. It doesn't do the expected Unsheathe attack. It just does the same flip as in the above videos. The same one it uses for anything, it seems. Hm. .. weird. I even tried disabling the ultrawide mod, and it still does the same thing.

Last edited:
And even more interesting, activating them uses FP, but even if I reach 0 FP, I can still cast the same ash of war.

:p
I checked that and it is normal behavior that you see the same animation as your normal special attack even if you have no FP left. The attack only has less power. (May be the behaviour is different for Spell-like special attacks.)

By the way you wrote something about using "Q" for the special attack. That I don't understand. At least with mouse and keyboard (and I thought you play with that) the special attack is either "Shift"+"Right-Mouse" or "Ctrl". The key "q" is for exiting menues. Did you remap that or was it a typo in your post? As far as I know remapping "q" is not possible?

I checked that and it is normal behavior that you see the same animation as your normal special attack even if you have no FP left. The attack only has less power. (May be the behaviour is different for Spell-like special attacks.)

By the way you wrote something about using "Q" for the special attack. That I don't understand. At least with mouse and keyboard (and I thought you play with that) the special attack is either "Shift"+"Right-Mouse" or "Ctrl". The key "q" is for exiting menues. Did you remap that or was it a typo in your post? As far as I know remapping "q" is not possible?
I can't remember if I mapped Q myself, or it came as a default. I was certain it was default, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But yeah, I currently have Q mapped for the skill trigger. Q is for quit or back only when in a menu.

And an update on the issues I mentioned above, it seems the recent update 1.07 for Elden Ring clashed with the changes I made for the ultrawide screen mod. After checking integrity of everything, and re-apply the ultrawide mod, it's been fixed. So, I no longer have a reason to stop playing. :D :( :D

EDIT: Actually, I think I now remember mapping skill to Q, because Ctrl and shift were a pain in the ass. I just use shift without anything else for the side-weapon/spell.

Last edited:
I can't remember if I mapped Q myself, or it came as a default. I was certain it was default, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But yeah, I currently have Q mapped for the skill trigger. Q is for quit or back only when in a menu.

And an update on the issues I mentioned above, it seems the recent update 1.07 for Elden Ring clashed with the changes I made for the ultrawide screen mod. After checking integrity of everything, and re-apply the ultrawide mod, it's been fixed. So, I no longer have a reason to stop playing. :D :( :D
Great that it is fixed! Possible breaks after updates is one of the reasons, why I avoid mods in games as far as possible.

I am still wondering about your use of "q". You are right about the quit in menues, but there is something else "q" does: Normally "q" is for locking/unlocking enemies, which is crucial in fights. To what have you mapped that function if you use "q" for something else?

I mapped one of my secondary mouse buttons (the one I can press with my thumb) to "Ctrl" using the mouse-software. So the special attack is one mouse click for me like the normal attack. I find that easier than using the left hand for attacks. So the easy rule for me is: right hand for attack, left hand for movement.

Great that it is fixed! Possible breaks after updates is one of the reasons, why I avoid mods in games as far as possible.

I am still wondering about your use of "q". You are right about the quit in menues, but there is something else "q" does: Normally "q" is for locking/unlocking enemies, which is crucial in fights. To what have you mapped that function if you use "q" for something else?

I mapped one of my secondary mouse buttons (the one I can press with my thumb) to "Ctrl" using the mouse-software. So the special attack is one mouse click for me like the normal attack. I find that easier than using the left hand for attacks. So the easy rule for me is: right hand for attack, left hand for movement.
Yeah, lock on and off is my scroll-wheel button. I think that's about all the customizations I made. I still use left for light and right for hard attacks.

The only issue that I can't seem to fix with rebinds is the fact that moving the cursor left and right switches who you're locked onto. That's really annoying as I tend to move my cursor quite a bit.

The only issue that I can't seem to fix with rebinds is the fact that moving the cursor left and right switches who you're locked onto. That's really annoying as I tend to move my cursor quite a bit.
Yes, that is annoying but you can get used to it. You only have to realize that there is simply no need to move the mouse at all, once you have locked onto an enemy.
Edit: The only reason to move the mouse in that situation (besides changing the target) is, if you want to deliberately break the lock. But if you want to loose the lock, it is better (and faster) to use the corresponding key.

Yes, that is annoying but you can get used to it. You only have to realize that there is simply no need to move the mouse at all, once you have locked onto an enemy.
Indeed. Unfortunately my arms or hands tend to move on the mouse even when there is no need. Especially in the middle of anxiety inducing fights which are constant.

Interestingly, or not, in the same fights I always seem to slide my feet forwards. I’m usually having almost full body convulsions due to the stress these fights are giving me.

Indeed. Unfortunately my arms or hands tend to move on the mouse even when there is no need. Especially in the middle of anxiety inducing fights which are constant.

Interestingly, or not, in the same fights I always seem to slide my feet forwards. I’m usually having almost full body convulsions due to the stress these fights are giving me.
Anxiety in Elden Ring fights? Never heard of something like that. ;) You should train a little bit with some runebears.

But seriously: the flying insects in the swamp are good for training of locking them and after that not moving the mouse but only the forward key. That is the safest way to hit them with a melee weapon. If you move the mouse, you will constantly loose your target.
Another serious note: Against big and slow enemies, locking isn't useful because you want to be able to run or roll past and then behind them, which doesn't work well, when locked on. For example I would never lock on a dragon in melee, because I want to run to his rear legs and beat those. I would also usually not lock on a runebear, but rather try to run past and behind him (or to his side) , even though he isn't slow...

Another serious note: Against big and slow enemies, locking isn't useful because you want to be able to run or roll past and then behind them, which doesn't work well, when locked on. For example I would never lock on a dragon in melee, because I want to run to his rear legs and beat those. I would also usually not lock on a runebear, but rather try to run past and behind him (or to his side) , even though he isn't slow...
Yeah, that's the first thing you notice, since the lock always seems to target unfortunate areas, like the head, sometimes.

Well, since I got the game fixed I cleared all of Weeping Peninsula and Castle Morne. The boss at the bottom was a walk in the park, but I'm not sure if it was just due to the change in weapon I did just before his fight. I finally am able to wield the Treespear.

It's pretty good, and I love the charge attack, if I have the time to pull it off. But it's kind of annoying to use against lesser enemies that are in bigger numbers. Or I need to learn to swing it horizontally.

The only annoying thing is, its ash of war, Sacred Order (I think it buffs holy damage?), dopes not stack with the magic damage buff I've been using since the beginning of the game. And even moreso, that buff still puts the spear in a higher damage bracket than Sacred Order. Maybe it's mostly useful against undead? I don't know, but it's a bit disappointing. Also, compared to the Bloodhound Fang sword, it's quite slow. I'll see how I feel about it after more leveling it up.

Here's something I don't understand. Do different weapons have different leveling paths in terms of what smithing stones they need? I was able to upgrade the Treespear to +7 or something, but the Bloodhound's Fang only to +2 since +3 already requires Somber Smithing Stones. I guess it's by design to scale some weapons back? Anyway, it confused me, since I remember that in previous souls-borne games each weapon had the exact weapon requirements, and they didn't different from weapon to weapon. Or maybe it's just Bloodborne that did that? I never did get too far into Souls games.

Here's something I don't understand. Do different weapons have different leveling paths in terms of what smithing stones they need? I was able to upgrade the Treespear to +7 or something, but the Bloodhound's Fang only to +2 since +3 already requires Somber Smithing Stones. I guess it's by design to scale some weapons back? Anyway, it confused me, since I remember that in previous souls-borne games each weapon had the exact weapon requirements, and they didn't different from weapon to weapon. Or maybe it's just Bloodborne that did that? I never did get too far into Souls games.
Normal weapons need (normal) Smithing Stones and unique weapons need Somber Smithing Stones.

Normal weapons need (normal) Smithing Stones and unique weapons need Somber Smithing Stones.
So the Treespear is normal and the Bloodhound's Fang is unique? Interesting. I would've assumed both are unique. Especially since you can't change their ash of war, from what I've seen?

I started disciples liberation, a lot of info in the first hour, its completely different from disciples 3 games :geek:. But i also got an annoying bug with the mouse, doesnt work to move the camera up or right in the map.
View: https://youtu.be/KIHt9i9gD9o
Alse the game needs some serious QOL stuff, you cant move the camera with the mouse during battles, the camera always resets to default low zoom after a battle and so on, plenty of small annoying stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've hit another brick wall. For some reason I'm having a really tough time killing the glintstone dragon guarding what I imagine is the key to entering Lucaria, the city in the middle of the swamp (if I read the map hint right). Which btw is the worst area in the game. I fucking hate swamps. And I guess I'm seriously underpowered since I'm having a hell of a time even killing the giant octopuses, which so far I've manage to kill quite effortlessly. But they really scaled things in the swamp.

I think I'm either just doing way too little damage or he's got a boatload of health points. I know the mechanics and what to do, but since the fight is going on for a long time I just have that many more opportunities to screw up and get killed by it.

Well, I've hit another brick wall. For some reason I'm having a really tough time killing the glintstone dragon guarding what I imagine is the key to entering Lucaria, the city in the middle of the swamp (if I read the map hint right). Which btw is the worst area in the game. I fucking hate swamps. And I guess I'm seriously underpowered since I'm having a hell of a time even killing the giant octopuses, which so far I've manage to kill quite effortlessly. But they really scaled things in the swamp.

I think I'm either just doing way too little damage or he's got a boatload of health points. I know the mechanics and what to do, but since the fight is going on for a long time I just have that many more opportunities to screw up and get killed by it.
You can also take the key and run. Since the dragon is optional, you can come back at a later time, whenever you feel strong enough for him. Sometimes having a few levels more makes the difference.

I had this feeling of hitting a wall often in the game and it is surely part of the concept. Assume for a moment, that from some point in time you would be able to kill all enemies without such feeling: The game would be boring from then on...

By the way, if you look for real frustration in Liurnia, look for a few giant lobsters in that swamp. :harl:

Edit: Regarding unique weapons: Yes, the definition, which ones are "unique" seems a little bit arbitrary. My feeling is, that that only those were put to that category, which have something dark/demonic in them, as the word somber indicates. So may be you consider those as dark weapons.

Last edited:
Wouldnt it be better to just a make a thread somewhere about this? half of the posts in the last 2-3 pages area about elden ring spam. I want to see what other people play when i visit this not when someone kills 2 mobs, posts here, kills a boss, post here and so on.

Wouldnt it be better to just a make a thread somewhere about this? half of the posts in the last 2-3 pages area about elden ring spam. I want to see what other people play when i visit this not when someone kills 2 mobs, posts here, kills a boss, post here and so on.
Done.

Moved the discussion to this new thread.

Still enjoying Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Does anyone know a good mod that fixes the melee combat with K+M? The arrow/direction system is simply not working with a mouse, I think it was made for console controllers and probably not even tested with a mouse.

The problem is that there is no reference point to move the mouse from, and its movements are not averaged or filtered, so it jumps all over the place, no matter the sensitivity. I can hardly do the simplest of combos.

Just these but I never used them and not sure if they are compatible with latest build.

Back
Top Bottom