The TV Series discussion thread

Have you seen Andor? If you can look past some typical Star Wars plot holes this is easily the best since thing the original trilogy.
Not yet. I'm not in a hurry to see more SW right now, plus I keep seeing people compare to Andor to SW: Rogue One which I didn't really care for.

Last night I finished watching the fourth series of Yellowstone, while there are some story threads that have me yawning and reaching for a handy book, overall the show satisfies me in many ways. Put some realistic cowboys and horses on the screen and I'll likely check in.

And tonight I plan on finishing my re-watch of the first series of Ozark, and then continuing my journey throughout the entire show. Again, some credibility gets heavily strained in some threads, yet the overall tale keeps me intrigued.

Our protagonist Andor is the pilot from Rogue One. But the similarities end there.
Uh, I wouldn't say that... Tony Gilroy, the producer and writer of Andor also wrote Rogue One, and the approach of the two shows is similar: to show a grittier side of the Star Wars universe, free of space monks and muppets.

I would certainly recommend Andor regardless, though, if a person has an interest in good television. I was fairly so so on Rogue One, but the long form television show format got me quite a bit more invested.

Rogue One didn't strike me as being very gritty or free of space monks. It's ironic that someone would use the term space monks because that's exactly what the two Asian guys seemed like to me.

I'll give it credit for being a little darker than the typical SW film because of the ending, but I didn't find it particularly memorable.

Last edited:
As far as Disney Star Wars films, I think Rogue One was the best of the lot - which isn't to say it was amazing, but it certainly exceeded my expectations at the time.

I liked The Force Awakens more than Rogue One, but I use the word "liked" with a grain of salt here. None of the nu-SW films I've seen are very good. Still haven't watched Solo.

Rogue One didn't strike me as being very gritty or free of space monks. It's ironic that someone would use the term space monks because that's exactly what the two Asian guys seemed like to me.

I'll give it credit for being a little darker than the typical SW film because of the ending, but I didn't find it particularly memorable.
It's been a while since I've seen Rogue One and details (like that there are monks in it) escape me. That was my way of saying there's no talk about the Force or Jedi or any of that jazz. Andor has none of that, no monks of any kind, and it's definitely grittier. You might like it.

I tried Andor, finally gave up after the fifth episode, it simply got too boring for me. At least it lasted longer than any other Star Wars production, for my viewing purposes.

I finished with series one of Ozark last night, now that's a show I'm going to stick with. After that finale I'm quite curious to see how the second season pans out.

I've returned to 1899. I'm halfway through the season now, and I literally have no idea what's going on. I feel like I'm watching the German version of Lost.

I've returned to 1899. I'm halfway through the season now, and I literally have no idea what's going on. I feel like I'm watching the German version of Lost.
Or the German version of Matrix. The first episodes of this series feel like they're about to reveal something important, but it could be anything and we just have no clue.

Once you have finished episode 5, you'll have a pretty good idea what was this Lemmings game we were talking about. 🤣 But the mystery is not entirely revealed yet.

Waiting for more results from you guys on 1899. It bums me out to start a TV series that then loses me, and I find the review sites are particularly bad with over-rating TV shows, for some reason. A German Matrix I could get behind.

Last edited:
Waiting for more results from you guys on 1899. It bums me out to start a TV series that then loses me, and I find the review sites are particularly bad with over-rating TV shows, for some reason. A German Matrix I could get behind.
I sort of gave my opinion on it, not sure if you saw it. I finished the first season.
I'll write a little more about it, but still will keep it spoiler free.
But for people that don't even want to be influenced by my positive or negative opinion, I'll put it in spoiler tags regardless.

I very much liked the first 4-5 episodes, when mystery was still vaguely hinted at. I'm not sure in which episode they fully reveal what's going on, but I ultimately I think it's a very derivative and cliche reveal in our current times. Unless something went completely over my head, I disliked it completely. It ruined what I hoped the series was going for. So I do admit I went in expecting something to be kept, which to me seems like it was thrown away completely. But even ignoring what I had hoped it would be, I was disappointed by the reveal. It also felt unoriginal, unless again, I'm missing something.

That said, I'll probably try and watch S2, if it will get made, just to confirm that I'm not missing something. But I have a feel I am not.
Overall, while DARK was repetitive and took way too long to reach the conclusion I'm sure most people expected, I enjoyed it a lot more.

I'm on the 7th episode now, and it's still holding my interest. I'm not finding much in common with The Matrix though. I think it's more Dark meets Lost so far.

One thing I don't get is how the characters don't seem to have a problem understanding other nationalities most of the time. You have people speaking German, French, Spanish, Polish, Danish, Norwegian, English, etc, and there's only been a few instances where someone couldn't understand what was going on despite the conversation not being in their language.

I'm on the 7th episode now, and it's still holding my interest. I'm not finding much in common with The Matrix though. I think it's more Dark meets Lost so far.

One thing I don't get is how the characters don't seem to have a problem understanding other nationalities most of the time. You have people speaking German, French, Spanish, Polish, Danish, Norwegian, English, etc, and there's only been a few instances where someone couldn't understand what was going on despite the conversation not being in their language.
I'll be curios to hear your opinion after the last episode.

But yeah, the different language was kind of gimmick and more for flavor.
It just felt it was more for the viewer, since the characters always somehow seem to understand themselves, or other time whatever they were telling each other in different languages didn't make much of a difference.

A few days ago I tried watching the new Willow show.....halfway through the second episode, I just decided it's not for me. I truly love the film, always have, yet the telly version isn't nearly as good.

So I bounced back to Titans and started the third series, so far it's quite good. A different take on what happens with the second Robin and Barbara, yet both tales are well done, imo. This one I'll stick with, since football is taking a break.

Cheers for the 1899 feedback. I'm kind of waiting to hear from a couple more people about the ending. Big twists can be divisive, and sometimes I like them better than others. None of my lot have watched it all yet, so the findings here are helpful.

I'll be curios to hear your opinion after the last episode.

But yeah, the different language was kind of gimmick and more for flavor.
It just felt it was more for the viewer, since the characters always somehow seem to understand themselves, or other time whatever they were telling each other in different languages didn't make much of a difference.
I've finished season 1 and that's more or less what I expected a few episodes ago but there are still a lot of things to explain, so I'm still interested. It's not the same quality as Matrix though (I didn't watch Dark so for me that's the closest setting I know of).

I think the language might be an early clue? They all dream and so speak in their own language but the simulation translates for the others, perhaps

I've finished it now as well. Talk about a massive exposition dump towards the end.

I didn't find it quite as interesting as Dark when it was all said and done, but I did enjoy it overall and will definitely watch the next season.

Back
Top Bottom