Balrum - 7th Birthday and 75% off

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Balrum was released 7 years ago today and in celebration there is a new patch and the game is 75% off on Steam.

Balrum is 7 years old! We are celebrating with a new patch and a 75% discount!

45ff9c1ae696fc87281fcf0344292603928fb560.gif

The new patch contains the following improvements:

The game now uses the latest libraries to ensure the best compatibility with modern systems.

• Added sound effects to various game elements. Like opening a cauldron or picking up certain items that had no sound effect previously.
  • Added a new map marker to the Darkwood map. (needs new playthrough)
  • Follow us on Twitter!
Have a nice day!

Balcony Team
More information.

Reminds me of Eschalon: Book I
Yep this was brought up many times during the games development. :nod:

There were even posts about it ripping off/copying the game which were false.

I missed this one! it's on sale for less than 4€. It should work on my laptop too.

I clocked up 221hrs on this little gem back in 2016.
That's impressive. I lost steam after 40 hours. Really enjoyed the beginning but I can't remember why I stopped playing. Will have to revisit Balrum.

That's impressive. I lost steam after 40 hours. Really enjoyed the beginning but I can't remember why I stopped playing. Will have to revisit Balrum.
One of the few games I backed, and I'm not sure why I stopped playing either. The NPC descriptions (maybe in the journal, I forget) came off as written by someone in grade school, but the game is pretty and very Ultima like, as well as similar to Eschalon and Divine Divinity.

I think the story never really goes anywhere but I'll have to install it again and see where the game takes me this time.

I will say Eschalon II had me hooked until the end, it hit all the right elements, especially for exploration and secrets.

How does this game differ from eschalon series in length and mechanics - or is it pretty much the same thing just a 'different story' ?

I remember at the time that this was a game @crpgnut (who seems to have vanished for now) took a deep dive into and was about the only person talking about it at the time.

I think I remember him saying that it wasn't really like anything else, a sort of survival aRPG hybrid where crafting is important and random is cranked up to 11.

I don't remember @skally_wag talking about it much, but maybe he did, let's ask him for the gory details!

The crafting is truly important for sure, from what I recall of the game. I don't remember the story being too involved, yet the exploration kept my interest keen for most of the game-time.

So, Balrum has an interesting mix of styles. It's a single character, single player game. It has tons of crafting, farming, an alternate world where you can make a safe house for all your stuff. It has pets that will protect your character and is a really well done game. It has very simplistic graphics but I got hundreds of hours out of it. P.S. Not purposely avoiding the Watch, I'm just more of a survival game dude nowadays.

Well I couldn't find my backer copy (and the original download link is gone of course) , and I don't know that I would even find a way or get a response from the developer to not only get game but also updated.

So for 75% off just under $4 I bought it again. And my comments about the writing really just reflect on not relating to playing as a "kid" so to speak. All in all that part is fine, especially once you finish your quests in town (which is enjoyable enough) and start adventuring proper. The mysteries start to build up slowly, and the world is very interactive. I even liked building my safehouse, where you can add in useful crafting items, and even teleport beacons.

So I have to say I'm glad I backed it, and gave it more hours this time, because it's fun and addictive. The typical complaints don't bother me so much. Speed potions for travel are a must. And be sure to research online where to find skill books before you spend any points. crpgnut summed it up nicely, although I would add it includes survivalism as a style.

So, Balrum has an interesting mix of styles. It's a single character, single player game. It has tons of crafting, farming, an alternate world where you can make a safe house for all your stuff. It has pets that will protect your character and is a really well done game.

Hello everyone!
As a developer at Balcony Softworks, we wanted to take a moment to express our sincere gratitude to everyone who has supported Balrum over the years. We couldn't have made it this far without you, and we are deeply thankful for your continued support.
It's amazing to see that after 7 years the game is still loved by the RPG community!

Well I couldn't find my backer copy (and the original download link is gone of course) , and I don't know that I would even find a way or get a response from the developer to not only get game but also updated.

So for 75% off just under $4 I bought it again. And my comments about the writing really just reflect on not relating to playing as a "kid" so to speak. All in all that part is fine, especially once you finish your quests in town (which is enjoyable enough) and start adventuring proper. The mysteries start to build up slowly, and the world is very interactive. I even liked building my safehouse, where you can add in useful crafting items, and even teleport beacons.

So I have to say I'm glad I backed it, and gave it more hours this time, because it's fun and addictive. The typical complaints don't bother me so much. Speed potions for travel are a must. And be sure to research online where to find skill books before you spend any points. crpgnut summed it up nicely, although I would add it includes survivalism as a style.
Hello there!

We're sorry to hear that you couldn't find your backer copy and that you had trouble accessing the original download link. However, we wanted to clarify that the link is up and live, as it has been for the past seven years. All of our backers were sent the link through Kickstarter message/email.
I saw you mentioned purchasing the game again. While we appreciate your support, we want to let you know that you shouldn't have had to do that. Nonetheless, we're truly moved by the fact that you bought the game again to continue supporting us.
If you're still having trouble accessing the game or its updates, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at http://balconyteam.com/contact/. We're here to help, and we'll do our best to assist you in any way we can.

Thank you again for your support!

Back
Top Bottom