Non-RPG General News - The Last of Us Part I

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Little correction: they're not really previews.

The first video is a Noclip documentary that is quite spoiler-free. The second is just a small video showing features brought by the remake (mostly).

I'm on the fence about this game. I was interested when it was first released for PS, but I've also seen negative comments saying it was just a poor shooter game. I'll make up my mind once it's released and reviewed.

Production values and story presentation are great. But gameplay is shallow and soon became boring for me. Not surprised HBO series is praised, its much better experience without boring gameplay.

I'm repeating myself, but I personally liked the gameplay, especially on the harder difficulties that really turn it into a survival game. I also appreciated the AI, that seemed decently competent.
I played the game on PS3 and PS4 and am still excited to replay it on PC where I'll finally have the ability to properly aim.

I found the shooting mechanics decent, though nothing close to Last of Us 2. Part 2 is absolutely phenomenal in how complex and versatile the shooting mechanics are.
But it's primarily not really a shooting game. You're supposed to sneak around as much as possible and avoid outright gunfights.
That's the main reason I like it on higher difficulties, since it forces you to conserve as much ammo as possible, and only use guns as a last resort.

In the NOCLIP doc they mention that in the remake they took either weapon mechanics or just the weapons themselves from Part 2, so I'll be curious if I remember or notice anything different.
They also said they took parts of the AI system in Part 2, which again was a remarkable piece of work.
All of this is to say I am really excited about it.

The only negative so far is that while it does look good compared to the original graphics, it's still a ways off from the absolute gorgeous graphics of Part 2. So, I'm also really excited and hope they also bring Part 2 to PC.

Last edited:
Production values and story presentation are great. But gameplay is shallow and soon became boring for me. Not surprised HBO series is praised, its much better experience without boring gameplay.
I didn't have any issues with the gameplay, and I've always valued gameplay over story. That said, most people would probably agree the story and setting are its strongest points. It was an incredibly detailed world for its time when it was originally released on PS3. Very good game overall, and I was never bored at any point.

And no, the TV series was not a better experience.

"I'm on the fence about this game. I was interested when it was first released for PS, but I've also seen negative comments saying it was just a poor shooter game. I'll make up my mind once it's released and reviewed."

I'm so confused by this comment. Does this thread and the thread about the show exist in two separate realities? You already know that the game isn't "just a poor shooter game" because you're watching the show. Aside from episode 3, the show is a slavish recreation of the game. Scenes, even exact dialogue, is liberally taken from the game.

The game has been reviewed, exhaustively, for the past decade! A port isn't going to change what the game fundamentally is.

Your comment made sense up to the point you claimed, "Scenes, even exact dialogue, is liberally taken from the game". Sure but the show is an adaptation with various changes.

Neil Druckmann the creator of the game is also a writer/executive producer on the television adaptation of The Last of Us. He even said as much in recent interviews.

Season 2 sounds like it will deviate more from the games as well. Honestly I hope it does as I personally hated the story-line, and certain characters from the second game.

"I'm on the fence about this game. I was interested when it was first released for PS, but I've also seen negative comments saying it was just a poor shooter game. I'll make up my mind once it's released and reviewed."

I'm so confused by this comment.
To clarify: the combat part was rather poor (not the story part)

Your comment made sense up to the point you claimed, "Scenes, even exact dialogue, is liberally taken from the game". Sure but the show is an adaptation with various changes.

Neil Druckmann the creator of the game is also a writer/executive producer on the television adaptation of The Last of Us. He even said as much in recent interviews.

Season 2 sounds like it will deviate more from the games as well. Honestly I hope it does as I personally hated the story-line, and certain characters from the second game.
I don't know what you're saying here. I didn't say there weren't changes. And obviously I'm aware of who Neil Druckmann is, and I don't know how what you wrote refutes what I said in any way.

Feel free to search for some scenes on Youtube, like the entirety of the last ~10 minutes of the series/game, and the scene when Ellie tells Joel she's not better off without him. They're almost exact replicas of the game. There are innumerable examples.

To clarify: the combat part was rather poor (not the story part)
Writing it was "just a poor shooter game" implies rather strongly to me that a poor shooter game is all it is; i.e, it's not a game with a worthwhile story.

It does not excel as a shooter, though, that's true. At least it never has before. It was perfectly adequate imo, because it's NOT a shooter. It's a dramatic story with some shooting (and navigation puzzles and such). What the gameplay mostly does is let you become Joel (and Ellie in one part), and like a lot of games, that intensifies the connection one has with the characters. But having already watched the story, that may not be enough to be worth it for you.

The second game improves the gameplay quite a bit, much as Uncharted 4 had the best gameplay in that series.

The second game improves the gameplay quite a bit, much as Uncharted 4 had the best gameplay in that series.
It's night and day how amazing combat is in TLOU Part 2. It's so versatile and visceral. And the AI is a significant improvement.
The combat scenarios are so fun and intense. My only issue with it is that I needed to play it with a controller. It was pretty awful.
I'm really excited for it to come to PC where I'll be able to enjoy it using a mouse.

Writing it was "just a poor shooter game" implies rather strongly to me that a poor shooter game is all it is; i.e, it's not a game with a worthwhile story.
That's what I read, it's not from me. Maybe those players were not interested in the story or maybe the combat was important to them. What first attracted me to the game was the adventure / story part that I saw (same for part II), but I don't want it ruined by bad gameplay.
But having already watched the story, that may not be enough to be worth it for you.
I was hesitating because of that too, as should everyone else who has watched the series.

In the Noclip documentary, they seem to think that the series would help selling the remake though. Maybe that's a mistake, or maybe it's the same as reading a novel then watching a movie / series about it? The perspective is different enough to make it worth. So if the gameplay is fine (new AI, better combat / sneaking), people wouldn't mind seeing the same parts of story twice.

It's night and day how amazing combat is in TLOU Part 2. It's so versatile and visceral. And the AI is a significant improvement.
The combat scenarios are so fun and intense. My only issue with it is that I needed to play it with a controller. It was pretty awful.
I'm really excited for it to come to PC where I'll be able to enjoy it using a mouse.
I wouldn't get too excited yet. There's no guarantee it's coming to PC. Hopefully the remake of the first game sells well enough to justify porting the sequel.

Back
Top Bottom