Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Like I said on the other thread a few mods can get you the same quality. Anyway the wrong usage of the "next-gen" word by the industry is so ridiculous, dumb and lame.
used to describe a product or form of technology that has been developed recently and is likely to replace current products or technology.
Please stop using the term as a buzzword.

Only thing that interests me is the new DLC and quest.

The next-gen version clearly looks better. It's not night vs day, but certain details are a definite improvement.
Sometimes it does. When the guy is being burned at the stake, the yellow light sources are lighting up the walls in a yellow color while the GotY version just uses white light. In other spots, not so much. At 3:53 in the first video, the old version looks better and at 4:30 it looks a LOT better! (Did the video maker get the labels wrong!?)

Sometimes it does. When the guy is being burned at the stake, the yellow light sources are lighting up the walls in a yellow color while the GotY version just uses white light. In other spots, not so much. At 3:53 in the first video, the old version looks better and at 4:30 it looks a LOT better! (Did the video maker get the labels wrong!?)
To me, one of the biggest differences is in the foliage. It looks way better in the new version. Not just visually but also how it animates. It's no longer whipping around like there's an invisible hurricane. The ground textures are noticeably better too.

The quality of those videos leaves something to be desired though. I think the differences will be more apparent when we actually get to play it.

Last edited:
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate Class Spotlight Techmarine - Steam

Introducing a new class – the Techmarine. Learn more about the Omnissiah’s greatest warrior-smith! Coming to PC on 6 December 2022.
Blade of Darkness Available on Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

A grim new threat looms over The Central Kingdoms. The borders protected by the fierce King’s Knights are no longer secure. The fearsome orc clans, more numerous than ever, lurk on all roads. The proud nomadic peoples of the steppes are on the alert, for strange beasts prowl the darkness. Not even the stout dwarves, hidden in their underground palaces, seem safe from threat - from the unknown tunnels of its mines, a foul army of hideous creatures advances inexorably.
StarCrawlers Chimera Floor 4: Production Available - Steam
Floor 4 : Production is now live! Finally. If you haven't been following on Discord, I’ve been dealing with health issues preventing me from updating at my usual speed. I’m happy to say they are behind me and more updates lie ahead. Production features new side contract mechanics, enemies, gear, weaponry, events, and a new boss fight.

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr - Sororitas Class DLC Live

This DLC adds a new playable class to Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr: an Inquisitor with an Adepta Sororitas background.

Also known as the Sisters of Battle, the Sororitas are devout followers of the Emperor, and a bastion against corruption and heresy across the Imperium. They lay waste to heretics with a wide array of weaponry ranging from Flamers to Blessed Blades, Power Mauls and Power Halberds, however their faith is said to be a weapon stronger than any steel. Through this zealous faith they invoke powers beyond measure to perform Saintly Deeds, silencing every last heretic's final cries.
Witcher Remake Will Be Open World, CD Projekt Red Confirms - IGN
CD Projekt Red has confirmed that its Unreal Engine 5 remake of 2007's The Witcher will be fully open world. Revealed during its third quarter financial results, CD Projekt Red briefly mentioned its announcement of The Witcher Remake, saying that it will be a "story-driven, single player open world RPG".

The studio had previously only confirmed that it would be another "full-fledged" Witcher game, but as the original is not open world, there was still speculation whether or not the remake would resemble the 2007 version or something closer to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. CD Projekt Red didn't say anything else about the new game, reiterating its point made in October that "it's gonna be a while until we can share more details."
New Cyberpunk Game Won’t Start Pre-Production in 2023 - Twinfinite
Today, during the CD Projekt Group earnings presentation, the developer shared more details about its plans for the previously-announced sequel of Cyberpunk 2077. President and joint CEO Adam Kiciński was asked whether CD Projekt expects to enter the pre-production phase of the sequel in 2023. He mentioned that the developer will start working on the next full Cyberpunk game after releasing the expansion “Phantom Liberty”. Initially, there will be a research and concept phase, which formally isn’t defined as “pre-production” yet. Once the concept is ready, the development will start with pre-production.

I also had the impression the previous version of TW3 was sometimes better than the next-gen version. The lighting seems more real in the next-gen version, which makes sense if they are using UE5 since they did a lot of improvement in that area. So maybe this impression is due to scenes being less dramatic, but they're actually more realistic.

They've also done wonders with the foliage and far-away scenery in UE 5.1 (as explained here). I'm impressed. If all that goes into the update, it will definitely be worth checking.

Last edited:
I also had the impression the previous version of TW3 was sometimes better than the next-gen version. The lighting seems more real in the next-gen version, which makes sense if they are using UE5 since they did a lot of improvement in that area. So maybe this impression is due to scenes being less dramatic, but they're actually more realistic.
They didn't port the game to UE5, or am I misunderstanding? It's still REDengine 3. The remake of TW1 and the new game are using UE5.

Like I said on the other thread a few mods can get you the same quality. Anyway the wrong usage of the "next-gen" word by the industry is so ridiculous, dumb and lame.

Please stop using the term as a buzzword.

Only thing that interests me is the new DLC and quest.
Every new thing is nextgen :D Makes it sound better. It's like X in old things.
Everything with an X was better. Not "Extreme", but "Xtreme" :D

Check Out WH40k: Inquisitor - Martyr

Taking a look at Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr new Sororitas DLC.
Marvel's Midnight Suns - Hulk Gameplay Overview

Firaxis debuted Hulk gameplay for the first time in Marvel's Midnight Suns Launch Day Stream. Midnight Suns releases December 2nd.
Marvel's Midnight Suns - Official Launch Trailer

In Firaxis's Launch Day stream, they debuted a new trailer in which the Marvel heroes take on Lilith, a new world-ending threat that only true heroes can stop. Midnight Suns releases December 2nd.

Project Spotlight: Skyrim: Extended Cut - Nexus

We have had the extreme pleasure recently of talking to the team behind Skyrim: Extended Cut about the first release of their project. Skyrim: Extended Cut - Saints & Seducers is an overhaul and expansion of the Saints & Seducers official Creation and is intended to be a preview for the main Skyrim: Extended Cut project, which will do the same for the main storyline of Skyrim, a game which turned 11 today!
NieR: Automata sold 7 million, NieR Replicant remater 1.5 million - RPGSite
Square Enix hasannounced that NieR: Automata surpassed 6 million units shipped worldwide, while the recently released NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... has surpassed 1 million units. NieR: Automata reached 5.5 million units just a few months ago, so it seems like broad interest in the series has allowed the game to continue to sell well more than 4 years since its release. As a point of comparison, NieR: Automata reached the 1 million mark in April 2017, noting the title had a staggered release across platforms around the world.
The Last Oricru Patch 1.1 and Free DLC - Steam
It has been almost a month since we released The Last Oricru on PC, PS5 and XBOX Series X/S. It was a long and demanding month filled with hard work.

It isn't easy to make a game like The Last Oricru, which has multiple paths through which you can play -- and multiple combinations of each path. Some of you even encountered unexpected blockers. Being the amazing, curious players that you are, some of you managed to take a turn on certain pahts that even our QA didn't think of, and consequently got stuck.

We fixed most of these scripting issues in several smaller updates. We have also managed to solve issues with the Intel ethernet during online co-op, and make the whole online experience more stable -- even for players who are far from each other, and previously encountered disconnection issues.

In addition you've given us valuable feedback, even beyond just bugs and other issues. And we have listened. So in this first major update, called Patch 1.1, we bring you more than just fixes. Part of this patch is also new, free content for all players of The Last Oricru.
Pentiment game director pledges to update credits - Gamedeveloper
Pentiment game director Josh Sawyer had said Obsidian intends to credit localization staff who worked on the title after it was highlighted that the current roll call doesn't include any of those names.

Pentiment's team must have had Latin experts too, let's hope their names aren't lost in translation. ;)

Yeah, the more I play the more I think this game has been rushed out. More concerning is the complete lack of answer from them when problems are reported, and the lack of patches. Nothing really blocking but there's a good deal of inconsistencies and QoL issues.

IGN's Marvel's Midnight Suns Review

"With Marvel’s Midnight Suns, Firaxis has put itself in the league of RPG developers like BioWare, Obsidian, Bethesda, and Larian. Its innovative combat takes a bit to get going, but once it does it makes excellent use of card game mechanics to keep its turn-based battles fresh, evolving, and unpredictable over the course of an epic-length campaign. The supernatural apocalypse story is given emotional weight by the family relationship between the hero and villain at the heart of it. Building intense friendships with famed Marvel superheroes does tend to feel forced and weird, but learning all their backstories and conflicts can be intriguing, and the fact that nearly everything you do outside of combat makes you more powerful in the next fight means it all tends to be worthwhile."
Mortismal Gaming Alpha Protocol - First Impressions

Talking about some of my initial impressions of the buggy cult classic spy rpg that is Alpha Protocol.

Alright I'm going full lazy mode today and just posting the links enjoy.

Todd Howard Lex Fridman Podcast

Todd Howard is a legendary video game designer at Bethesda Game Studios. He led the development of the Elder Scrolls series and the Fallout series, and an upcoming game Starfield.
Diablo Immortal Developer Q&A Series - Blizzard
Welcome to our official Diablo Immortal Q&A series. About once a month, the development team at both Blizzard and Netease will select a handful of burning questions from the community to respond to—both the question and answer will be posted below. We hope for this series to not only be educational but provide an additional level of transparency between the development team and players.
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Patch 1.1.6.9 - Steam
Here is bugfixing patch 1.1.6.9, which fixes an issue that caused skills to become unresponsive, resolves several softlocks, and adds some more tweaks to Wolcen's online component. Please keep your issue reports coming! You can also reach out to us on our Discord.
Marvel's Midnight Suns Review Roundup

Another lazy info dump of links enjoy.

"From what the official gameplay trailer (opens in new tab) showed us, there will be “over 100 systems” with “over 1000 planets” in Starfield. That means the intergalactic explorer is set to be 20% bigger than Fallout 4 or Skyrim. While this sounds amazing, is there such a thing as a game that is too big? Considering that Starfield is set to be a single-player game, millions of planets seem like lonely work for just one person."

These sites must not have editors. There's so much wrong with just this one paragraph..

Where do they get "20% bigger than Fallout 4 or Skyrim" from there being 100 systems with 1000 planets? I assume that "intergalactic explorer" is just a typo of some sort, though with this level of writing who knows. And then mere seconds after typing "1000 planets" they're talking about there being millions of them. Almost every time I try to read an article at one of these smaller sites, this is the level of quality I encounter.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Receives The Last Chapter

In this final content update, players will discover the end of Eivor’s story with The Last Chapter and meet the charismatic Assassin’s Creed Mirage’s character Roshan in Shared History. On December 6, players will be able to custom their experience with a Destiny 2 crossover partnership. Finally, from December 15 to December 19, everyone will be able to play Assassin’s Creed Valhalla for free, during a Free Weekend.

The Last Chapter is a new free quest bringing an intimate end to Eivor’s adventures. This epilogue ties up some of the storylines established during the game. Players will reunite with key characters, historical figures, old friends and enemies, while discovering new adventures and memories which will wrap up the incredible story of Eivor. The Last Chapter is an end game content, requiring players to have completed certain parts of the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla narrative.

As part of this final content update, players will also get the opportunity to cross path with Roshan, Basim’s mentor, voiced by the Emmy-winning actress Shohreh Aghdashloo. In the Shared History free quest, Eivor discovers they share a common enemy.
How Tencent is ramping up its global games business - Gamedeveloper
Tencent has always been looking beyond the borders of its home market in China when it comes to growing its games empire, but the last two years have seen those plans advance significantly.
Final Fantasy XVI Rated Mature For Sex Scenes and Hate Crimes - Kotaku
Turns out the upcoming Final Fantasy XVI, isn’t just leaning heavily on its Game of Thrones medieval aesthetic in jest. According to its MSRB rating in Brazil, FFXVI is rated mature for its sex scenes, drug use, and fantasy hate crimes.

Back
Top Bottom