Second Life - Numbers Questioned

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Both Kotaku and Joystiq are running pieces on the reported numbers for Second Life, with evidence emerging the previous claims of 2.5M players are (unsurprisingly) rubbery. Here's a snip from Joystiq:
Second Life had a backlash coming. The overhyped virtual reality world with amazing public relations and highbrow academic love is now the focus of an increasing number of reports calling foul to their claim of 2.3 million residents. American Public Radio's Marketplace says it's actually more like 250,000.

Clay Shirky, a reporter for Fortune says, "So these aren't terrible numbers, but it's certainly a much more modest success than we've been led to believe by the business stories saying 'there are millions of people using Second Life and it's growing by leaps and bounds.'"
More information.

Why am I not surprised? Let's face it - the average mmorpg has become quite boring nowadays... but Second Life is certainly the peak of boredom. What can I do in that game what I cannot do in real life? Why should I burn money for virtual items if I can burn money for real items? And why should I play a game that is nothing mor than a chat-client? It's a simulation of everyday life... wow... that's boring. Whats next? A sleep-simulation where you can watch your avatar sleep over a period of 8 hours?

Back
Top Bottom