Cyanide Studios - A Game of Thrones: Genesis Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A year or so ago you may recall Cyanide announced they had secured the gaming rights to George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice. VG247 has news that Focus will publish the game, titled A Game of Thrones: Genesis. No other details - not even the genre - but here's a snip and head to VG247 for two pieces of art:
A Game of Thrones: Genesis” plunges you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Families that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros.
However, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. The innovative game mechanics provide players with numerous paths to success: will you opt for a military, economic or diplomatic approach? Trickery, treachery and deceit are widespread and you will constantly have to watch your back if you want to avoid a bitter defeat!
Peacefully or forcefully annex surrounding territories, besiege enemy castles, send spies to infiltrate behind enemy lines, assassinate trouble-making officers or capture them to ask for a ransom… When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground!
More information.

I refuse to get excited about this; I still remember the Wheel of Time first-person PoS; and the Shadow-Run first-person PoS; and the Diskworld point-and-click PoS......

According to their site, Genesis is an RTS. They have also a Game of Thrones RPG in development.

What surprises me is how low-bow this project seems. An almost unknown developer (not to me anyway and this is not to say they are a bad one) with no expirience in RTS as far as I can gather, a relatively unknown publisher (again, same thing as above) tackle a rather well known fantasy series, maybe on par with the Wheel of Time which may be getting a far more favourable treatment, and that is without a green lit TV series, with an upcoming high profile TV adaptation. Really makes you wonder.

This either will never happen, or will suck massively. There's my prediction.

I read the books. The first couple were great, but each one got progressively worse. The last one was a struggle to finish, and he was STILL introducing new characters. The series of books will never be completed either. There's another prediction.

I managed to read the first 2 books, but gave up after that. I read for relaxation and enjoyment; those books just left me feeling depressed.

Diskworld point-and-click PoS

I disagree, they are some of the finest and funniest games ever made.

Agree about the others though....

If the RTS is like total war or that arthur game it might actually be good. From an unknown developer though chances are that its not.

I tried reading the first book but never finished. Too hard to follow the lives of so many different people. I get confused with the names. The fact that I listened to the book and fell asleep half the time propably didnt help either.

RTS ? I'm not surprised. Cyanide has a long tradition with RTS ... Although rather "blood bowl" - related ... ;)

Personally, I'd be happy if it was TBS - or even a RTS/TBS hybrid like Blood Bowle was ! :)

I managed to read the first 2 books, but gave up after that. I read for relaxation and enjoyment; those books just left me feeling depressed.

I've read all four and they get more and more depressing. The characters are really well fleshed out though and the writing is good. He doesn't seem to be close to finishing off the story either. Could end up as a new never ending Wheel of Time deal.

Really liked the concept art, especially this one: http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/07/A_Game_of_Thrones_Genesis_Art02.jpg

Could end up as a new never ending Wheel of Time deal.

Acctually wheel of time is ending with the help of Brandon Sanderson... and I would strongly reccomend the latest book ( and second to last ) because it is VERY good.

I've read all four and they get more and more depressing

Well, IMHO the first 2 books start out superb but when he introduced necromancy things just started going a bit MEH.

So, I guess I shouldn't count on a Blood Bowl patch before the newfangled editions comes out :-(

Back
Top Bottom