Mass Effect 2 - Mordin Solus, Part 1 @ Twenty Sided

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Shamus Young once again picks up the pen to write about Mass Effect 2, this time a series to explain why he still likes the game, despite having pulled the plot apart previously. Presumably Mordin Solus is at the heart of all this but Part 1 starts with a sort of backstory primer:
Half a year ago I promised that I’d write more about Mass Effect 2. After scourging the lame-brained main plot, I felt like I needed to explain why I liked a game despite the failings of the story. I mentioned that Dr. Mordin Solus was the best part of the game. It’s true, but it’s more than that. He’s the best character in the game, and his backstory is linked to the best mission in the game, which stems from the most interesting elements of the Mass Effect universe. Mordin stands above the other characters in the game because his dialog is good, and his dialog is good because he’s perched atop a mountain of lore. I feel like I can’t talk about him until I talk about the mountain. Which is why it took me half a year to write this. Every time I sat down to write 1,000 words about Mordin I found I needed to write 3,000 words about other stuff first.
More information.

I never liked Mordin all that much. I see what they were going for in his quirky weirdness, but didn't push it far enough in my opinion.

His dialog was a little too much "spew of information" for my taste as well. I get it, he's a hyperactive scientist. But he didn't click with me and I didn't find him that interesting.

Interesting article, but the author clearly missed the Salusa Secundus reference behind the Krogan homeworld.

I agree with him. Mordin was the only character I kept coming back to FIRST for dialogue every time I was back on Normandy. The only other character worth visiting was Tali, but even she was turned into a blubbering idiot as the conversation moved on along with the missions.

Kunari.. err.. Krogans are boring as fuck and the moronic proving (whatever) mission only made it worse.

I never liked Mordin all that much. I see what they were going for in his quirky weirdness, but didn't push it far enough in my opinion.

His dialog was a little too much "spew of information" for my taste as well. I get it, he's a hyperactive scientist. But he didn't click with me and I didn't find him that interesting.
Yeah, I don't really understand what the fuss was all about either. There were some funny moments here and there, but I didn't find him nearly as funny as other people. Well, I don't really like any of ME2's characters all that much. There all too much: "Hello Shepard, I have the following deficiencies. Please let's go kill someone so I can focus on the mission ahead.". Anyways, I'm done talking about that. I have about 7 broken ribs and a fractured nose now because I'm too negative about ME2 ;)

Mordin's rendition of G&S's "major general's song" (the Scientist Sa(u?)larian) made up for all the other kacky dialogue. I almost peed in my pants (which fortunately, does not happen very often ;-) Afte rthat itw as back to "pew pew" with my "lazer" and crouching behind crates - but at least I'd had some comic relief

Back
Top Bottom