JA2 Reloaded - Newsletter 2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In their second newsletter the Reloaded team addresses the current debate on the combat system and the first impressions of the Meduna missile base.
Dear JA Community,

In the second issue of our newsletter we are voicing our opinion on the current discussion on the combat system.
We are also delighted to announce that we are giving our website and forum a brand new look.
Last but not least, the first screenshots of the Meduna missile base are also available.

Discussion on Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded – turn-based combat system 2011
We are sorry to have caused a furore in the discussion on a modern combat system for 2011. We admit our choice of words at the start of the thread was somewhat unfortunate, which led to the discussion developing in a direction that ultimately focused on the detailed refinements of the system and less on a vision for a modern game version, which was our intention, and we would like to thank you for your contributions.
We recently explained our Plan & Go system and we will now release regular updates on the combat system and answer your questions as best we can for the time being.
We would ask for your understanding if we are unable to go into every question in detail. There will certainly be some changes to our concept of the combat system during the development process, as the theory can often work out quite differently in practice. We would also ask you to bear in mind that the game will not be released for at least a year and, for this reason, everything is far from being set in stone.

Redesign of the website and forum

We are in the process of overhauling the website and forum. To ensure a successful switchover, the website and forum will soon have to go offline for several hours, and we will notify you of the exact time very shortly. All the entries and user data will remain unchanged.

Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded – first impressions of the Meduna missile base

A classic game will be totally revamped next year with Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded. In Q4 2011 we anticipate that you will again be using the M.E.R.C. and A.I.M. mercenary agencies to form powerful troops of mercenaries to topple a malign female dictator in the fictitious country of Arulco.

The Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded "media" section now contains a series of screenshots that provide the first glimpse of the Meduna missile base, and you can compare these with the corresponding images from the 1999 original.
Click here to see the screenshots on the Jagged Alliance Portal
Thanks Alrik.
<div id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden;">Dear JA Community,

In the second issue of our newsletter we are voicing our opinion on the current discussion on the combat system.
We are also delighted to announce that we are giving our website and forum a brand new look.
Last but not least, the first screenshots of the Meduna missile base are also available.

Discussion on Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded – turn-based combat system 2011
We are sorry to have caused a furore in the discussion on a modern combat system for 2011. We admit our choice of words at the start of the thread was somewhat unfortunate, which led to the discussion developing in a direction that ultimately focused on the detailed refinements of the system and less on a vision for a modern game version, which was our intention, and we would like to thank you for your contributions.
We recently explained our Plan & Go system and we will now release regular updates on the combat system and answer your questions as best we can for the time being.
We would ask for your understanding if we are unable to go into every question in detail. There will certainly be some changes to our concept of the combat system during the development process, as the theory can often work out quite differently in practice. We would also ask you to bear in mind that the game will not be released for at least a year and, for this reason, everything is far from being set in stone.

Redesign of the website and forum

We are in the process of overhauling the website and forum. To ensure a successful switchover, the website and forum will soon have to go offline for several hours, and we will notify you of the exact time very shortly. All the entrie...More information.

At first I was furious about the fact that they were putting real-time combat in it, but now that I've cooled down a bit I wish that they would explain the system a little more.

And perhaps I actually don't care that much after all. You see, Jagged Alliance 2 is a game that still feels incredibly up-to-date for me. There really aren't a whole lot of things I would want to add to/remove from the game (Despite the tear-inducing difficulty. Made yet ANOTHER try last month, no dice.), so it's not a game I was really looking forward to being remade.

So perhaps I should view this as a "new take" on the game rather than a "remake". I can have a "turn-based" version and a "real-time" version of the game. There's no way I'm going to regard the vanilla Jagged Alliance 2 as outdated anytime soon anyway.

JA2 has state-of-the-art combat in that nobody has done it any better. I really doubt these guys "more modern" RTwP system is going to be half as good.

I saw it pretty much the same way Squid. I've played other games with a similar game mechanic (plan&go) as the one they're describing, and they've been pretty good games. I think people are focusing too much on the turn-based vs real-time switch and ignoring the other aspects which made the game worth playing almost 20 years later.

Oh and if you check their forums, they've done a couple good posts describing their system in a bit more detail. In particular they mentioned interrupts, cover, and the ability to preselect reactions of your mercs.

Of course, bitcomposer could just screw the pootch royally anyhow, but hey, may as well try to keep optimistic.

The irony in it is how they think they are aiming for a bigger market, when in fact they are aiming for no one.
Cause "no one" is just who's interested in a real time Jagged Alliance.

Agreed. Without any bitterness or personal feelings involved, I honestly think this game is going to absolutely tank if they stick with their "plan&go" system. Who's their target audience? They're a small developer and don't have the luxury of creating a market through PR.

It hurts, plain and simple.
This game is like a bad girlfriend, addictive and it keeps hurting when you see her years later.

Back
Top Bottom