Mass Effect 2 - Overrated @ Fidgit

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Just to contrast against IGN's awards, Mass Effect 2 rated #3 in Tom Chick's most overrated list for 2010:
3) Mass Effect 2
Take Mass Effect and strip out the RPG elements so that you're left with a not very good shooter about a whole lot of busy work, mainly involving aliens addressing their family problems, before going on a 20 minute mission to save the universe. And...scene! Also, planetary scanning. Lots of planetary scanning.
More information.

I foresee many angry rants from fans who believe bioware cant do wrong. I tried to say the exact same things on other boards and blogs.

I do agree that ME2 was "overrated" for a shooter.

But it's still a really good interactive movie.

Overrated doesn't mean bad, just overrated.
ME2 wasn't the second coming of Christ or anything, no matter what video game "journalists" will tell you. Decent game, nothing more.

Jack, plain and simple decent game !!! How is it that XBOXERS say that it was EPIC ? And how come no mentioning of the quality of Demon Souls it was innovative in the way that you actually had to play the game through trial and error , no hand holding in that RPG.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was a Planet Scanning Sim...? Does RPGwatch cover the PSS genre now?

Planet Scan , How stupid was that after 15 min . Most planets were empty

Eh. Mass Effect 1 was boring. I had to work hard to finish it and am quite glad I only paid $5. Give me an Oblivion or even an Ultima IX any day.

I agree that it's overrated. Like I've said for a long time - I still consider ME1 better. However, as pointed out by Jack, overrated doesn't always mean bad. I certainly don't feel that ME2 is a bad game (I actually feel it's a pretty good game).

It IS pretty good, but not as an ME sequel - and certainly not as a satisfying CRPG.

In my mind :)

The problem for ME2, in my opinion, is that some people see it's an RPG and expect some sort of depth to the ruleset/system it uses. When they see what it's actually like, they grab the pitchforks and say it's not an RPG, despite quite clearly having an RPG base. But, to be "precise", it's a TPS/RPG Hybrid. It doesn't hide that the combat is based primarily around filling enemies full of projectiles, and rightly so.

I do think it was overrated to some degree, but so was Oblivion. 98%? You've got to be kidding me. It looks like someone threw up on a piece of paper! Ahem. Mass Effect 2 suffered from throwing the sci-fi sensibilities of ME1 to the wind. Exposed flesh in space? Err, no. Killing Shepard? Sigh. Ms. Blu-Tac Boobs? Yawn. Miranda The-Obvious-Fan-Service-Character? Oh dear. ME1 was quite sensible and, in regards to the PC at least, just needed an extra few coats of polish. ME2 was a good and fairly polished game, I'll agree, and I liked the changes, but they weren't necessarily the right changes.

It's still got a few show-stopping bugs that need stomping, too, along with some non-major continuity bugs (Such as pistols and SMGs holstering in the same spot, Shepard pulling out an assault rifle even if she/he doesn't carry one).

Well, at least it's not Dragon Age 2.

Well, I think it has to do with what people really enjoyed from Bioware in the past. Specifically with KotOR and Mass Effect - as that's clearly the template.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the developers to stay somewhat close to that, with a sequel. Instead, they go extra mainstream and strip away everything that didn't quite work - instead of making it work.

That's sad, but whatever.

Last edited:
I do think it was overrated to some degree, but so was Oblivion.
What´s that supposed to mean?
When it comes to discrepancy between accolades given by journalists and the game´s actual quality, Oblivion is THE overrated game.

ME2 is largely overrated because journos tend to make the game sound more than it actually is. As a story shooter with collar grabbing elements, it´s a fine game. It´s not a fine RPG, because its RPG elements are underdeveloped and rest on periphery.

As for the article, where the hell is Civilization V?!
Other than that, I don´t see Fallout:NV there, so it´s ok in my book.

Overrated doesn't mean bad, just overrated.
ME2 wasn't the second coming of Christ or anything, no matter what video game "journalists" will tell you. Decent game, nothing more.

Exactly. It was fun.

I foresee many angry rants from fans who believe bioware cant do wrong. I tried to say the exact same things on other boards and blogs.
BioWare have been doing nothing else but wrong in the past 10 years or so. ME2 is just a joke as an RPG.

Jack, plain and simple decent game !!! How is it that XBOXERS say that it was EPIC ? And how come no mentioning of the quality of Demon Souls it was innovative in the way that you actually had to play the game through trial and error , no hand holding in that RPG.

I'm an Xboxer and I don't say that. What are you on about?

BioWare have been doing nothing else but wrong in the past 10 years or so. ME2 is just a joke as an RPG.

Exactly its a third person shooter with some rpg mechanics. Like a poster said before its a decent game but its not the second coming of Christ as journalist make it in to.

Back
Top Bottom