RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2011 Awards: Best Indie RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
This is the first year where you could cast a vote specifically for Indie RPGs. If you are curious enough to find out which games received the awards, check out our article.
Here is a snippet from the Gamers' Choice:
It isn't a typical action/RPG but rather a hack'n'slasher that has very carefully stripped away unnecessary elements and substituted some innovative ideas, such as the optional shrines that allow players to choose additional challenges in return for more XP. XP unlocks slots for "tonics" - potions that improve stats or provide other benefits. Instead of the usual inventory management, you only carry two weapons at a time but the loadout can be swapped around and each weapon has five upgrade levels.
More information.

Oy, very surprised that Frayed Knights didn't make it into the top three for the reader's choice! Very happy that you gave it the editors award, though! I too thought that was a great game and tons of fun.

I think it come more to what people played vs what they didn't.

The only indie I thought was worth while for awhile now is Frayed Knights and if I could have I would have had it tied with Skyrim in overall best rpg. I can't believe Bastion even got a top spot and I guess there are more people then I thought that like those kinds of games here.

tight % there :), personally really liked avadon the most, reminded me of the youth years :)

I think it come more to what people played vs what they didn't.

azarhal is right in my case. I voted for the two that I had played, Avadon and Bastion. I just really started playing Frayed Knights in earnest this week. I had bought Frayed Knights at release, but barely got started in it since I was in the middle of Fallout New Vegas then Skyrim came along right as I finished FNV. I picked up Dungeons of Dredmor and Grotesque Tactics II on the Steam holiday sale but have yet to start either.

The Indie poll was very close. A few dozen votes would have made a difference.

Hmm, didn't see that one coming...

I agree with the editor's choice but I would flip Avadon with DoD (much as I like DoD for what it is)...

Why wasn't Bastion covered on RPGWatch? Seems like it's quite a well rated RPG, I hadn't actually heard of till I read this. (I get pretty much all my RPG news on this site)

Daniel.

Because no editor thought of it. And because no user requested it.

Why wasn't Bastion covered on RPGWatch? Seems like it's quite a well rated RPG, I hadn't actually heard of till I read this. (I get pretty much all my RPG news on this site)

Daniel.

Actually, I did post one newsbit ages back and it didn't get a single comment, so I figured our audience wasn't interested. ;)

Back
Top Bottom