Spiderweb Games - Interview @ Indiegraph

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's an interview with Jeff Vogel at Indiegraph covering a range of general topics. Here's a snip on the changes brought by iTunes and Steam:
5.) I know you recently started selling your games on the iPad (and Steam too I believe?). How has this shift been for you? Was it tricky to get into the App Store, let alone make the game’s UI work with a touchscreen? How has Steam been for you?
Our games are now on iTunes and Steam, and it has made a world’s worth of difference for our business. Our sales have gone through the roof, and it’s terrific. Getting into the App Store is easy, but getting attention once you are there is not. It’s very crowded.
Steam is the opposite. It’s tough to get in, and I had to make a strong case before they accepted our games. Once they were in, Steam was hugely supportive and it’s a fantastic place to sell games.
More information.

So maybe, Maybe, he can afford a bit of an upgrade to his game engine now?

Good to hear Jeff's games getting out in the daylight more. If the increased volume allows him to make stuff that's got a little bit of VA and cinematics, it could be a strong counterargument to the idiots claiming that turn based, stat heavy games are obsolete and/or no fun. And proof that you can make an excellent game without tens of millions in HR, accounting, staff meetings, office management etc.

I love the Spiderweb games. I hope they keep doing just what they do, and never compromise the content for lame graphics or sounds. I detest being made to listen to a game to play it, and that's never necessary with a Spiderweb product. Keep them coming and I'll keep gifting them....oh, and keep them challenging. That's a big seller for me =))

-Carn

I really like Jeff Vogal. He's articulate and has a hillarious sense of dry and sarcastic humor. His games are fun and I enjoy them. I hope he continues to be successful and even moreso given the new platforms.

The graphics are not a problem with Spiderweb's engines, at least not with the latest crop - they are rather beautifully drawn, and even animated. If anything, Jeff could add some colour filters to easily increase the variety of his tiles and let me change the colour of my mage's cloak.
The interface, on the other hand, could really use some of that moolah to get a complete make-over. World interaction, too, could profit from some extra depth - at the moment, you can only interact with npcs and containers.

Back
Top Bottom