IGN - The Big RPGs of 2012

Disappointing, the only one of those that interests me even slightly is Neverwinter, and that's because I enjoyed the previous ones, not sure how it'll work out as an MMO…

On the bright side the inde market has us pretty well covered. :) (Just bought Avadon for $5!)

Daniel.

Egad ... what a sorry excuse for a RPG list ...

Fine with me. There's been quite the flood of decent RPGs in the past couple of years and like a lot of people here I'm trying to work my way through an extensive (actually pretty much hopeless) backlog. That's why I don't mind a bit of a drought for the rest of this year. Finally at least a tiny little chance to reduce that long list of unfinished games! :)

char_rin.png

Wow, we went from the Golden Age to the Dark Age of RPGs… Just 18 months ago we started the amazing gauntlet run with Fallout New Vegas, followed by DA2, Witcher 2, etc etc ending with ME3. What a run it's been… Color me spoiled. But now?

I've been trying to choke down Two Worlds II. I like the system, but the graphics and voice acting is that bad, and the story is apparently so disinteresting that I've completely forgotten why I'm doing what I'm doing. I want to like it, but I just can't. The bar has been set so high for me now that it's tough to go back to these smaller studio RPGs and enjoy them.

:disappointed::pout::mourn: That says it all. What a disappointing list of rpgs. Not a single one I care about.

April was great with Legend of Grimrock and Risen 2, but the remainder of 2012 is looking pretty slim.

I think a lot of people here would enjoy The Secret World actually.

It has the potential to be a fun game, with some great quests, but I tried two different beta weekends and there were some serious bugs that never got fixed. Essentially the dialogue system does not work, so any quest that requires you to go back and talk to an NPC cannot be completed.

I recognize most of the titles on the list, but Persona 4 Golden is probably the only game that I really care about and that I already played in its original PS2 version (also, not having a PS Vita does have an impact on my enthusiasm as well).

P4 is a terrific RPG which combines roguelike exploration of massive dungeons, snappy turn-based combat and some pretty deep character development with a convoluted but ultimately engaging storyline which in many respects is surprisingly down-to-earth. Despite some very strong Japanese characteristics I believe other fans of Western RPGs (especially old school gamers with a high tolerance for long stretches of stats-motivated roguelike gameplay) should be able to appreciate Persona 4 as well.

The focus seems to be on MMO and JRPGs - which I don't play because I am a PC gamer. So the list didn't look good to me.

Though if we get two good RPGs in a year I am usually happy which I think has happen for the last 5 or 6 years. There is also GOG for older games that I have missed or need help to get working on Windows 7. There are mods to be explored (e.g. BG2 Redux mod). Then there are the Indie games - the strange puzzle games and the old school RPGs.

I think that I could keep myself busy for the next 5 years even if nothing else was released. Having said that there is an article on GameSpy suggesting that the success of Diablo 3 and Kickstarter may result in a "flood" of games for the untapped part of the PC market.

Perhaps things will go quiet but we may see a "boom" in 12 to 18 months time. Interesting times?

I could use the break, I've got enough games to play for now.

I could use the break, I've got enough games to play for now.
Yes, maybe we can shutdown the watch until next year and save some server costs ? :p

Well if Mario and Pokemon are getting coverage...

Go play Day Z.

Back
Top Bottom