Zaharia - Update# 3, Skill System

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Inner Void Interactive has posted the third upate for Zaharia that goes into detail on the games skill sysyem, and talks about the consciousness of a thousand worlds.

The Skill System & Consciousness of a Thousand Worlds

In this update we will briefly explain how the skills work in the game.

First of all, the skills won't unlock perks simply leveling up, in the final game the player will need to find a proper teacher in order to obtain a perk.

Combat skills have an obvious purpose, they define the proficiency of a certain character in defending and using various weapons. Those skills will be useful in combat, but sometimes they will be useful in dialogues too, thanks to some rare stat checks.

Knowledge skills are some really versatile skills and they can be useful in many situation. They are really useful in dialogues and unlock a lot of different lines, but some of them have different practical uses. With the Alchemy skill it will be possible to brew potions or assemble bombs; the Magic skill will help the character to resist to magic and it's a necessary skill for mages; the Medicine skill will allow the character to treat wounded people.

Practical skills are useful mostly outside the dialogues. The Athletic skill allow the character to improve his Stamina; the Steal skill allow the player to steal things from people in different situations (Yes, in dialogues too); the Lock Picking skill will allow the player to get through locked doors; the Sneak skill will reduce the noise of footsteps and other actions in the stealth phase and will allow the player to learn some really important stealth perks.

Social skills are useful for a massive amount of stat checks in dialogues and they can be combined with the character's reputation for a better result.

Skills are improved using experience points, which can be earned by the player doing quests. The more a character is experienced with a certain skill, the more it will cost further improvements, that's will encourage the player to invest some points in other skills and improve the character's versatility.

More information.

So many great ideas. I just hope that if it doesn't get funded this time, they don't give up and try again. Unfortunately, a lot of people won't back a game if it doesn't look like it will reach it's goal and according to Kicktraq it's not looking good. I hope they continue to polish their prototype, revamp the pitch video and try again. This game is too great to not get funded and I can't take another Heartbreak after Chaos Chronicles and Deathfire being canceled in the past year.

A part of their problem was they posted their goal in non-US terms. This scares off a large portion of investors, believe it or not. There was an article, on Forbes I think, that talked about the failure rate of kickstarters based in non-US currency and it was pretty high. I think folks are just too lazy to figure out the conversion rate for their donations. Sad, really.

This is probably right. I do feel uncomfortable when I see sums on anything that's not $ or €. I still do pledge.
But I can understand why some other ppl will skip such project.

What I especially liked about the prototype were the selectable [& later probably] destructible wall sections and the info Zaharia gave about these objects. Combat was also done skillfully, animations being rich enough.

This is probably right. I do feel uncomfortable when I see sums on anything that's not $ or €. I still do pledge.
But I can understand why some other ppl will skip such project.

Huh, never even thought of that. But I suppose we're so used to recalculating to $ and £ and euros (which I can't find the symbol for on my keyboard) in Scandinavia that it's not a problem, while many Americans probably never need to think about it.

A part of their problem was they posted their goal in non-US terms. This scares off a large portion of investors, believe it or not. There was an article, on Forbes I think, that talked about the failure rate of kickstarters based in non-US currency and it was pretty high. I think folks are just too lazy to figure out the conversion rate for their donations. Sad, really.

Inner Void did include approximate $USD right in their reward tiers though so ridiculously lazy or mathematically challenged backers shouldn't be deterred... However, a related issue might be that American Kickstarter users who like paying through Amazon won't be able to do so. Also, some credit card companies charge foreign currency transaction fees (although they're usually not that much).

Back
Top Bottom