Final Fantasy VII - Should it be Remade?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamer Attitude has a new article thats asks a simple question, and it's should Final Fantasy VII be remade for modern gamers. So what do you all think?

It’s a question I have been asking myself for a number of years. I picked up the PlayStation game back around 1997, I was young and the deep story along with the lovable characters really introduced me into gaming and I still class final fantasy VII as my all-time favourite game, even to this day. I have the game on various platforms including PC and digitally on my PS3 and Vita. I still play it and have completed it a number of times through the years. Would I be excited for a total remake? Possibly, but a remake carries with it a basket full of pro’s and cons’s along with a ton of questions that need to be answered.
More information.

Last edited:
For me this game doesn't means much. My brother finished it on the PS (I watched him play the whole thing), but I couldn't get past the middle of the game.
I still don't get what has this game that people loves it so much. It's the setting? The characters? Nothing too special. The main character is well, I really didn't liked him. The story? Has some good twists. I was happy with the early burial of the love triangle (I can't bear cheap romance stories, sorry). The ending is satisfying.
The combat system? The combat sucked. Simultaneous timed turn based, what a crap. Also the game came with a lot of grinding. Grind can be tolerable if the combat is good, varied or at least fun. It wasn't the case.
My favorite FF is still FFVI. It came in the golden era of the SNES, had a great cast of interesting and charming characters.
As for the FFVII remake, I think it's going to happen, some day. IMO Square Enix is saving it for difficult times.
Finally, I would like to see Last Remnant sequel/prequel, really liked that one.

Hard to say, I think I might have just outgrown jRPGs as I got older =( I picked FF 7 up when it released on PC and the magic just wasn't there. I've also tried dusting off some of my PS 2 collection and they fell flat too.

My favorite FF is still FFVI. It came in the golden era of the SNES, had a great cast of interesting and charming characters.

Yeah, I thought FFIV and VI were both great for their time.

FF VII was a huge hit because it was the first major RPG released for the PS1, and it was also the first 3D Final Fantasy. I thought it was good back then, but I've always thought it was overrated at the same time.

For many people FF VII was the first big story game.
It had a certain cinematic feeling and many people did not know all the JRPG/Anime Tropes of the story story.

It felt fresh and different than all the other Play Station games out there.

Look at FF X. It's exactly the same story (I even remember people calling it FF iXs because they did not understand that is was the 10th game).

But a remake could never be as good as the hype.
If the even try to fix the problems of the game, it will cause untold fan outrage.
If they don't fix it. They will get people talking about how the game feels flat and does not catch the spirit of the original.

All FF games, in fact all games should be remade in a way we don't have to grind. Add an option in the main menu "no endless respawns".
What would happen? More sales and more cash for Square Enix. Too bad after all these years they're blind. And you can't hate an invalid. So, I feel sorry for SE, but will not give them more cash.

Never really understood the hype with FFVII. I finished it and it was a decent JRPG, but not a favourite in the series for me. I liked VI, VIII, X and XII more.

[grumpy]Are we covering jRPGs now?[/grumpy]

Well, I still love FF VII and I wouldn't mind a remake with better graphics, as long as they didn't change something else to the worse.

I don't think any FF games except 1-3 for NES has any grinding. The others are really easy and you don't need any grinding to complete then.

The combat is of course not good, but I can't think of a single game with good combat, story and graphics.

The brilliance of the game is instead in the rest of the package, story, fantastic music, characters and setting.

Sure by todays standard the graphics is nothing special, but at that time it really was, besides the good thing about FMV's is that they never grow outdated!

Easy or not… I simply don't want to buy anything that contains an excessive "let's kill some braincells" filler.
If a remake would remove that stuff, I'd be first to buy it, even if it has worse graphics/music/gameplay than the original. For brain destruction, thanks, but I don't need a grinder, I can always buy me some homemade chemical drugs.

I lost interest in this series after the 2nd or 3rd game so for me there's no need but it's a popular enough series that I think a remake would do well.

My 11 year old son just started playing it. He said one of his friends recommended it. So there's obviously interest in it from younger gamers as well.

Last edited:
I played it when it came out and liked it then but I have a hard time playing jrpgs now. I think if they rereleased it, it would sell well to the younger crowd.

[grumpy]Are we covering jRPGs now?[/grumpy]

We do cover jRPGs, as long as they are available in the PC. We don't cover console RPGs. jRPGs in the PC are rare but they are still RPGs (without going into the never ending debate of what is an RPG).

As for FF7, I liked it a lot when I played it like 17 years ago. I did get far but I didn't finish it… eventually got fed up with the unskippable summoning cutscenes. I might play a remake, if it lets you skip/disable the summoning videos, and even more likely if they change from random fights to visible enemies.

Final Fantasy 7 is probably the first game where I maxed out the time counter on the save game file. My time was 99 hours 99 minutes 99 seconds and stayed that way for a looooong time. I must have spent over 500 hours with that game as a kid. Wonderful game.

It was so cinematic at the time there was nothing else like it. The graphics were gorgeous, the story was great, the music was superb and the characters, locations, etc. were all on point.

I know one thing, is that it's one game I will never forget. It had a large impact on me as a kid.

And should it be remade? Sure, why not. Add some fancy new graphics, new cinematics and many people would play it.

Last edited:
FF6 is the best FF game, but FF7 is still quite good. Above, somebody says there's a grind? Really? If anything, FF7 seems pretty brain-dead easy. The only grindy bits result from trying to do all the side stuff. Like, you'll have to "grind" at the arena in order to earn Omnislash. Also, it takes a while to earn the Gold Chocobo. However, if you're not doing that stuff, there's really not much of a grind. FF1 this is not.

I never played any game of the whole series. I don't quite remember why, but I wasn't interested in later FF games anyway ...

Wow, some serious revisionist history going on here.

1. I had never even heard of grinding until years after playing FF7. You can get in a grind if you're trying to do special side quests but there's no need to grind if you're just looking to enjoy the game.

2. This was a game where story and combat had equal footing. Some earlier games had good stories but, when it got right down to it, the games were really about the combat. The stories were just there to give the combat some meaning. (Planescape: Torment being a big exception to that.)

3. This was the first JRPG for a lot of people. While Final Fantasy had killed major characters mid-stream before, that was a MAJOR blow for all the Westerners new to the series. I remember it had a major effect, too. Suddenly I didn't know which character might die next! No game ever did that before. I'm pretty sure no movie did that before, either.

But back on topic…

I would like to see a remake with updated graphics but adding voiceovers would really mess it up for me. The music could get updated but that's dangerous territory. The cutscenes could definitely be upgraded. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure Square could bring themselves to do just that.

Plus there's another problem: I've already played this thing to death. If you really want to get me interested, do a remake of FF6.

Revisionism? Are you referring to the FF1 comment from killias2? Cause that I remember watching my friends play that and may have even known grinding by the name grinding even then though I don't recall now. FF1 had the spot with the giants that spawned after every move and I seem to recall some dinosaurs in late game that was pretty much mandatory to complete the game.

Did FF7 require it? I don't know because I did grind it and mostly loved doing all of the optional stuff and grinding was required for that for sure. I suspect that some grinding was required to beat Sephiroth as he was rather difficult to beat as I recall. But I suppose you could just do some of the optional content with little repetition and get to a high enough level.

Anyway, not sure the the game needs a remake but I would probably buy it especially if done in the style of the movie that I've never watched. I would actually prefer that they focus on a new original game but if they need the money this is an easy layup.

Wow, some serious revisionist history going on here.

1. I had never even heard of grinding until years after playing FF7. You can get in a grind if you're trying to do special side quests but there's no need to grind if you're just looking to enjoy the game.

I will name 2 examples of players who mentioned "grinding" in FFVII while playing it at release.

1. A friend of mine. He found himself against the last boss and couln't beat him, no matter how much he tried. Then he started to read forums, and realized that he wasn't high leveled enough to fight him. So he started to grind around high level areas.

2. As you say, optional bosses (one of the Weapons). My brother mentioned that you need a lot of grinding, some crazy tactics, and tons of luck.

I will name 2 examples of players who mentioned "grinding" in FFVII while playing it at release.

1. A friend of mine. He found himself against the last boss and couln't beat him, no matter how much he tried. Then he started to read forums, and realized that he wasn't high leveled enough to fight him. So he started to grind around high level areas.

2. As you say, optional bosses (one of the Weapons). My brother mentioned that you need a lot of grinding, some crazy tactics, and tons of luck.
It's ok if optional content require grinding for me, if it does I don't do it, but for those who like that, it's there for them. As long as I don't have to grind to finish the game I'm ok.

Back
Top Bottom