Sacred Fire - A 2D Tactical Narrative RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I just found out about this following RPG game today, and I have to say the developer has my interest. The game is called Sacred Fire , and made by a studio called Poetic.
Poetic is a one man independent game studio formed in 2014 by Andrej Vojtas, bringing meaningful and innovative narrative games to life.
The game is described as the following.
Sacred Fire is a narrative RPG, integrating story and gameplay by using emotions in both combat and dialogue. Inspired by ancient Caledonia, the story follows a band of survivors caught up in a century long conflict.

Launching in 2015 for Win, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android.

Story affects gameplay

All choices shape your personality, building your ability to control your emotions. Emotions affect all performance.

Gameplay affects story

All actions affect your renown and relations, building your influence. You need influence to change story events.

All characters evolve

Each turn, all characters’ influence evolves. Find allies and a way to
They also have a new one minute teaer trailer to share.

More information.

With such flood of phonegames one would think if you want a game you don't buy PC or a console anymore but a phone.

With such flood of phonegames one would think if you want a game you don't buy PC or a console anymore but a phone.
Don't ever change Joxer your posts are always amusing.;)
They also have early ingame footage.
Thanks for the video Dr.A I missed it earlier when I made the post. The video just gets me more interested as I always like to play different types of RPGs.

Sounds great as a system for conversation 'encounters' for other games, but as a whole game of it, dunno. Sort of reminded me a bit of Vanguard's diplomacy system.

I'm intrigued as well. And it seems to be completely narrative driven.

Sounds great as a system for conversation 'encounters' for other games, but as a whole game of it, dunno. Sort of reminded me a bit of Vanguard's diplomacy system.

I'm inclined to feel this way too. If the entire game is played this way, I hope they have some interesting gameplay aspects to keep things fresh.

Hey, I am the developer behind Sacred Fire.

Thank you for your interest and your feedback. The game's focus is on narrative choices and NPC interaction, but Sacred Fire plays like a turn based strategy (obviously I need to make a better job at explaining that):

- building: build your characters personality and influence in the society (many ways how to raise, create a 'build' to gain influence trough renown, relations, wealth etc.)

- resources: explore NPCs agendas, secrets and unlock insights about relations (you have no idea what most NPCs think about you at the start of the game)

- rising opponents: each turn NPCs act, evolve and rise and fall in their influence

- the confrontation: key story events play out based on how well you build up your 'influence' compared to other NPCs, how much resources (secrets, insights) you have and how well you build up your control of emotions

I am currently building up a following for a Kickstarter campaign. To get involved or be notified when it starts please leave your e-mail on my web page: http://sacredfirerpg.com

Thanks for joining our small site poetic, and I look forward to your kickstarter. As you suggested I have joined your e-mail list, and will cover your game when it goes live.

Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG, 2016 update

It's been some time since the original post about Sacred Fire, so I thought I might post an update to reflect the current status. Also, there's a new teaser with the voice of The Witcher (Doug Cockle), which I'm excited about. And Chris Avellone says he "can't wait to check [the game] out."

What do you think is missing from the current RPG games? In Sacred Fire I'm addressing some of the issues I identified and research, but I'd like hear what you think.

Thanks for taking a look at my game.

Sacred Fire

Sacred Fire is a psychological RPG about a resistance warrior who fights to survive, rise to power and hold on to hope.

To survive, you need to master your emotions and rise in influence. Forging alliances and building renown is the only way how to resist an overwhelming force.

Sacred Fire offers nuanced personality creation, emotions-based cinematic combat, NPCs competing for power, and a story full of twists, depth and risk-based choices.

You start on the run, with nothing but your wits and will. Can you build a personality strong enough to defy an Empire? Can you hold on to the hope for a better world?

The game will be available on Steam (PC, MAC & Linux).

Last edited:
I'm adding more information on gameplay itself:

GAMEPLAY

At its core, Sacred Fire is a choice & consequence role-playing game focused on character development, tactical combat and relationships.

In order to truly shape the story, you need to rise in Influence above all the other story characters. To get it, you will need a lot of Willpower, to fight for renown, win allies, etc.

We want the player to have a lot of fun winning deadly duels, performing feats of courage and making smart choices. But we also want them to think about questions like: How does this choice shape my personality? Should I boost my chances to say something smart, or rather save the willpower for later to deal with my traumatic memories? How can I turn this rival character into an ally? How do I save this relationship that is falling apart?

Most of the game will be spent making smart choices in a fast flowing storyline, but we want the player to constantly wonder “How can I maximize my character’s influence?”

Games that inspired me:

• The Pen & Paper role-playing experience: playing in-character, worrying about whom you can trust, thinking your way out of a tough spot
  • Banner Saga: its dialogue camera and attention to visual detail
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall: its cast of broken party members
  • Civilization: its sense of progress when competing with other civilizations
  • Fallout: its character development special traits (Perks)
  • The Last of Us: its mature storytelling themes
  • Dragon Age: Origins: its rollercoaster experience with the party members
People also describe Sacred Fire as a thing of its own with flavors of King of Dragon Pass and Fallen London.

Back
Top Bottom