Final Fantasy III - Now Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Square Enix sent out a new brief press statement with news that Final Fantasy III is now available on Steam for $15.99/£10.99/ and €12.99.

FINAL FANTASY III now available on Steam

LONDON, UK - May 27, 2014 – Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, announces FINAL FANTASY® III, one of the best-loved games from the epic RPG series, is available from today on Steam, priced £10.99/€12.99.

First released in Japan in 1990, FINAL FANTASY III was the first title in the FINAL FANTASY series to become a million-seller, establishing once and for all that SQUARE ENIX's classic RPG saga was here to stay. The game first reached European shores in 2007 when it launched as a 3D remake on the Nintendo DS, also selling in excess of one million copies.

Now available on Steam, FINAL FANTASY III has been optimised for PC gaming with new and improved 3D visuals and story sequences, and includes Steam Trading Cards and Achievements and new visual designs for the Job Mastery Cards.

The Story of FINAL FANTASY III

Protected by the crystals of light, the once peaceful land has forever been changed by the great tremor. Without warning, the earthquake pulled the crystals into the earth, upsetting the world’s fragile balance. It seems as if all hope is lost – but as the Gulgan prophecy foretold, four souls blessed with the light shall once again restore balance to the world.

Near the small village of Ur, fate guides Luneth to a sentient crystal that changes his life forever. As the light of the crystal fades, Luneth embarks on a journey to seek three others who share his destiny to search for the remaining crystals, and fight the battle of light and darkness.

Game Features

• New and improved 3D visuals and story sequences
  • Quicker browsing through the monster bestiary and other game record
  • New visual designs for the Job Mastery Cards
  • Upgraded graphics
  • Includes Achievements
  • New feature of Steam Trading Cards
More information.

Ugh, this game could be so enjoyable if it wasn't for several of the 1990s carryovers: constant random battles and no way to speed up battles or overworld movement.

If Square really wanted to "reinvigorate" their classics like they claim, they should have copied Bravely Default's excellent systems that let you pick your encounter rate and speed up the game (so I'm told).

I won't be playing this...spending 90% of your time fighting random battles...that isn't fun anymore...it never was fun. Too bad really...if we could enable cheats, I'd play through it once for the story. As it is...you kind of have to be a masochistic so slog through this game, IMO.

Brumbeck, you hit the nail on the head. Playing RPGs was always fun, you don't notice how bad the actual game-playing is until better things come along.

This series is a time-sucking chore and people buy it for nostalgia and promptly quit when the 90's RPG labor policy kicks in. The iPad has the SNES version of Final Fantasy 3 (actually Final Fantasy 6 overall), and I was tempted. Tempted until I checked Gamefaqs and saw the 100-150 page walkthroughs people wrote, and remembered that was just the 10% of the game not in random combat.

Yeah, I have this on DS and iOS, and they are exhausting grinds. FF VI remains my fave in terms of being more modern and not wasting so much time.

Wait, so the rest of the FFs wasted even more time on patience-testing random combat?

Back
Top Bottom