Bethesda Softworks - New Fan Petition

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found news of a new fan petition from a fan of Bethesda’s games who is asking the publisher to release their earlier games for free on Steam.

AG: Why do you think Bethesda should listen to your request to release the earlier games for free?

CY: Because it's the 20th Anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, something which Bethesda is best known for. It's pretty obvious that they aren't getting profit from those first four games, and I generally think that Bethesda should give it to the fans instead of leaving such goodness to waste somewhere.

AG: What is it about the earlier Elder Scrolls games that you think fans of the newer titles will enjoy?

CY: I think they'll love the chance to get back to the roots of The Elder Scrolls, and it gives them a chance to learn how such a massive and amazingly built RPG started.

AG: And finally, if your petition is a success, what kind of content do you think the modding community would/should add to these games?

CY: I'd love to see "HD" versions/bugfixes, etc. of the games and/or extra stuff, items, tools, etc.

AG: Thanks again for your time, and good luck with the petition.

To some of you this may seem like a bold request, but I say ‘why not, eh?’ It’s worth a shot, and crazier things have happened. And like Christopher said, it would be interesting to see what modders could bring to the earlier games, like new items, tools and weapons - we've all seen the amazing and crazy things the Skyrim Steam Workshop has brought. So, if you’re a fan of The Elder Scrolls games and want give Christopher’s petition the best chance of succeeding, head on over to the Change.org petition page and add your name to the list.
So will he succeed or not? Share your opinion in the comment section.

More information.

Who would want to play that old crap? If you really do, there are emulators and torrents.

Who would want to play that old crap? If you really do, there are emulators and torrents.

Seriously ?
How dare you ! :)

Actually there is a new engine coming for Daggerfall, Dark Forces (Star Wars), Blood I, Outlaws all supported.

http://xlengine.com/engine/

It will be awesome, old games with Model Support and high Textures and alot more.
Cant wait, actually been waiting many years :(.
But worth it, got lots of other games to play till release.

Take care.

Daggerfall was a buggy mess full of half-assed features. No amount of high resolution assets can change that, I'm sorry to say.

Take care yourself ;)

Daggerfall was a buggy mess full of half-assed features. No amount of high resolution assets can change that, I'm sorry to say.

Take care yourself ;)

Hey Daggerfall was awesome for it's time!
But oh my god the bugs, too bad the bugs is what Bethesday stayed truest to in their games :p

And although i buy quite some old games on GOG i don't care if they release them for free on steam.
That would just be the normal Iso or something which i would have to fiddle with DosBox to play right anyways.
No time gain over a torrent like GOG offers.

I believe a new engine has been coming for Daggerfall for the more than 6 years now.

Seriously ?
How dare you ! :)

Actually there is a new engine coming for Daggerfall, Dark Forces (Star Wars), Blood I, Outlaws all supported.

http://xlengine.com/engine/

It will be awesome, old games with Model Support and high Textures and alot more.
Cant wait, actually been waiting many years :(.
But worth it, got lots of other games to play till release.

Take care.

Hmmm now that does sound interesting, wonder how and if that will work out.

Talk about entitlement :p Definitely generation Y (my generation) Anyway, the first two TES games are already free :) Now, I WOULD like to see Redguard and Battlespire on Steam or GOG, but I would be completely willing to pay for them if the price is reasonable.

They'd either release them for free (which they've already done for Arena and Daggerfall, just not on Steam) or a version that needs to be charged for because of all the changes that need to be implemented like said Steam support, bug fixes and HD.

BTW old crap needs to stay off of Steam, because Valve is not doing ANY effort to make sure said crap works. Good Old Games has teams working on testing compatibility, something I wager Valve will never put any resources towards.

Sometimes I wonder why people want them on Steam or GOG if Bethesda already released them directly to be used with DosBox.

Talk about entitlement :p Definitely generation Y (my generation) Anyway, the first two TES games are already free :) Now, I WOULD like to see Redguard and Battlespire on Steam or GOG, but I would be completely willing to pay for them if the price is reasonable.

i'd love to play Redguard again.

It's interesting that the interviewer has only played the ES since Oblivion and the games in the petition are somehow on his "bucket list". I bet about 5 minutes with each would be enough to cross them off and look forward to the next ES installment instead.

With all due respect, anything by Bethesda prior to Morrowind isn't really worth playing today. At least not in their current state.

On the other hand, if they could give Daggerfall a facelift and squash most of the bugs, well….

This.

The only semi-decent TES game was Morrowind. Everything else has been pretty awful. The earlier titles were nearly unplayable and the later titles are mindless sandbox games with no role-playing in the plot involved. While the later TES games may have more enjoyable gameplay*, they are worst RPG's.

The only thus far that has come close to capturing the original essence of Ultima Underworld (which TES was originally a clone of) was Arx Fatalis which combined great gameplay with a great narrative.

*Enjoyable when compared to the former games. Compare TES combat to any other RPG and it's hilariously bad. When RPG's from the nineties (i.e Fallout 1&2, Planescape, Baldur's Gate) still has better combat than the latest installment of TES, that says something. Meanwhile the modern competing titles (i.e Dark Souls, Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins) have combat that is significantly more enjoyable too.

Bash on Daggerfall and Arena, seriously?

Daggerfall is not really that buggy there's just 2-3 things to look out for which are well documented. The art and the atmosphere and the writing and the interface are about 100x better than anything Bethesda did since then. All the art since then is dead and soulless.

Arena is not really an RPG but it's still a lot of fun. Level design is amazing, even better than daggerfall, which is a million times better than the more recent installments. It makes me even sadder how perfunctory everything Bethesda does when I compare it to the past achievements.

With all due respect, anything by Bethesda prior to Morrowind isn't really worth playing today. At least not in their current state.

On the other hand, if they could give Daggerfall a facelift and squash most of the bugs, well….

Redguard is definitely worth playing, imo.

Back
Top Bottom