Ubisoft - Resistance to DLC Fading

aries100

SasqWatch
Chris Early from Ubisoft has talked to Gamesindustry.biz tl at this years E3.
He thinks that gamers have become more interested in buying dlc for their games:

Last year, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag launched alongside a handful of "Time Saver" downloadable content packs. For $1 or $2, players could stock up on in-game resources, or reveal the locations of the game's many collectibles and activities without the need for actual exploration. That sort of perk would have been freely accessible through cheat codes in previous generations, and it's not hard to imagine the uproar charging for them would have caused in the early days of the last generation of systems.
Ubisoft, has according to Chris Early seen an increaese in people who buys and download games:

Ubisoft has also seen a significant uptick in the number of people downloading full games instead of buying boxed retail copies."I don't know whether it wasn't as easy before or wasn't as clearly messaged on previous generations, but there is definitely a lot more digital [demand], to the order of two to five times as much digital activity on some titles than there was on the same title on old-gen machines," Early said.

More information.

Chris Early from Ubisoft <snip> thinks that gamers have become more interested in buying dlc for their games
Ahahuahauauahauahahahaauauaaauaauahaa.

Another corporate scammer. Oddly, this time not from EA.
And more oddly, bulshitting this after we had CDprojekt around for a few years now.

Just so you know Chris Early, if you ever read this - I'm not buying FC4 no matter how much I praised FC3. The reason? Existence of DLC. So not only you won't sell DLC to me (you can always sell it to your mother), now you won't sell also the game itself.

Sadly, I did buy Watch Dogs. Will I buy DLC for it? Not in this lifetime.

Any next Ubisoft game without DLC scam? I'm buying. Instantly. The rest you can flush down the toilet for all I care.

Ok Ubisoft is on my dead list so i ignore them but they really sold time safer DLC ?
Am I the only one thinking that is disgusting ?
And how is it a good thing you can now pay for cheats ?

Hell I'd rather use a cracked release with a trainer if i wanted to cheat anyways.

This week I was looking into buying ac3 dlc. The dlc of the game cost twice as much as the game itself. Ridiculous.

Lucky me ac4 dlc isnt available for wiiu so I can not even think of buying it.

Unfortunately, I believe he is probably correct. Let's face it, the people on this site are a minority. The majority of gamers seem willing to fork out as much money needed to play their favorite title. I agree with Thorwyn99 but I know most gamers do not.

I'm not saying it is a good that you cvan now pay for cheats. In fact, I myself, thinks that this practice is sort of distasteful. However, I do think that Eliot69 is correct. The majority of the people will not see it this way.

Unfortunately, I believe he is probably correct. Let's face it, the people on this site are a minority. The majority of gamers seem willing to fork out as much money needed to play their favorite title. I agree with Thorwyn99 but I know most gamers do not.

Yeah you're probably right, i might just have to face the fact that i need to find myself a new hobby sooner or later lol.

Hopefully later as there is still quite some quality devs out there, that kind of talk from the big ones just upsets me.

As long as there's enough companies who don't scam the customers (Larian, CDProjekt, Harebrained Schemes, Warhorse Studios etc.) I think we can keep our hobby. ;)

I do not have a problem with DLC which helps people with cheats or outfits, items which I am not interested in. I dislike that enjoyable content is on DLC and not in the original game, but that's capitalism for ya (not saying whether that's good or bad).

I almost never purchase DLC even the DLC which has additional interesting content because I usually play a game when it is released and content after I have finished a game (or if I am part of the way through) is much less interesting to me.

The worst type of dlc are "cheat codes" like dlc which give in-game resources. If you have an iPad or mobile gaming device, you can see there is a whole genre of games that are FTP but quickly become slogs unless you feed it money. This reminds me of quarters of arcade games of the past, except they aren't capped out and you can freely buy $100s of resources.

The problem is they make their way to the pc market. Most common are armor and weapon packs. The most notorious one was the RMAH of Diablo 3, where Blizzard cleverly didn't sell items but took 15% of all money in the system. How much money Blizzard made off of loot addicts is unknown, but taking 2 years to close it despite throwing the game balance out the window is a sign that it did really well.

If cheat codes become dlc on pc, then the games will be made where you want to use cheat codes. I can imagine some crazy crap, like buy a mini-map, quest journal, or quest markers (which was mentioned by Ubisoft).

Considering Ubisofts horrible DRM that has constant connection problems, where seasons pass means you'll get to pay DLC week after everyone else as they don't care to add main DLC to it, extensive DLC scamming with things like resource packs or ten thousand release versions and extremely iterative game design, making you feel you play the same game over and over again... I think I'm fine with Ubisoft doing whatever they want. If they release anything good I'd be quite happy to wait two years until it hits bargain bins in complete version.

I used a scientific approach to form an opinion and after endless sleepless nights I have a result which is displayed in this highly sophisticated chart:
dlc_chart.png

I clicked on this link, knowing that Joxer would be the first to post. xD

But it's sad that mainstream gamers buy into this whole DLC crap and reinforce publishers' ideas that people will buy it. You almost wish someone would suggest a larger boycott (larger than us, anyway), but I'm not sure most gamers care enough to think about what they're doing when they buy a DLC for a half-finished, broken game.

The only time I normally buy dlc is in sales but I noticed during the most recent steam sale none of the dlc was discounted as well as the main games, in some cases not at all. I bet this will be the trend from now on because they know a lot of people wait for sales to fill in these gaps. Obviously the majority of folks out there do buy dlc but in a very strong way they are being pressured into doing so or otherwise they don't actually have the "whole game". It's a pretty sophisticated con really. Having said that extra outfits or helpers are fine with me because I have zero interest.

I also buy dlc only when on sale or when the are bundled together and I can get them very cheaply. And the DLC I buy are quality ones, i.e. no cosmetic. For example I bought all the DLC for civ5 for around 8 dollars. I got the DLC for xcom because it came as part of the complete xcom edition.

Well if the people are demanding it who are they to refuse? lol

As long as DLCs are an optional addition to the game with a decent price-for-content ratio I am totally fine with them. Just another word to say "digital only expansion".
Back in the 90s lots of games had expansions. Now a lot of them would be called DLC instead.

Last edited:
As long as DLCs are optional an addition to the game with a decent price-for-content ratio I am totally fine with them. Just another word to say "digital only expansion".
Back in the 90s lots of games have expansions. Now a lot of them would be called DLC instead.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm fine with DLC because it gives us more options. More options are always a good thing in gaming and if I don't want a certain DLC I just ignore it and go on my way. Someone else may be interested in it so more power to them.

As long as DLCs are an optional addition to the game with a decent price-for-content ratio I am totally fine with them. Just another word to say "digital only expansion".
Back in the 90s lots of games had expansions. Now a lot of them would be called DLC instead.
Usually I don't agree with you but this time I do.;)

Anyway I have no desire for cheat DLC but others do apparently. Thats the point of the article my fellow watchers as the gaming community has spoken with their wallets.

I only buy Settlers (if they are without any form of DRM) and Rayman games from bi - noithing else. Oh, and [imaybe[/i] the new "Beyond Good & Evil" game, if that EVER sees the light of the day …

Apart from that : I don't have MMX yet ...

Back
Top Bottom