GameInformer - Top 10 RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gameinformer's Kimberley Wallace put together a list of the top ten RPGs of this generation. It even includes a few PC games from the console oriented site.

Today, we're taking a look at the best role-playing games of the last console generation. Developers got more creative during the cycle, attempting to take the genre in new directions by giving gamers more choices in gameplay and narrative. They created bigger worlds, and implemented unique battle systems. Western RPGs thrived on consoles, while Japanese RPGs struggled to find their place as development costs rose, causing those publishers to turn to handheld systems. Despite that transition, some console JRPGs still made an impact, proving they still have a place in the console market.

Coming up with a top 10 RPGs list was one of our biggest debates in the office. Everyone looks for different things when it comes to this style of game. Some prize the story, others prefer the exploration, and gameplay can make or break the experience. We also took various types of subgenres into account, including strategy/RPGs and action/RPGs. For the sake of diversity, we only included one game from each franchise. In our opinion, the following games are the cream of the crop. We're sure you have your own opinions, so be sure to discuss your favorites in the comments below.
More information.

Last edited:
Guess it could also be called "most successful" or "mainstream" RPGs.
As with all these lists, it's a pretty random view from some individual.

For those who want to let us know about their top ten rpgs of all time, visit this thread. Lots of great lists with some hidden gems.

Well all lists are subjective, and based on the writers opinion.;)

PS: I agree with some of her picks.

Guess it could also be called "most successful" or "mainstream" RPGs.
As with all these lists, it's a pretty random view from some individual.

For those who want to let us know about their top ten rpgs of all time, visit this thread. Lots of great lists with some hidden gems.

Interesting thread - a lot of good games in there.

To be fair, the IGN article is focusing on games that came out during the most recent console generation, so the last 6-7 years. That thread spans about 25 years. It seems like they were also trying to be as well rounded as possible, because there is a mix of console, PC, jrpgs and computer rpgs in there.

Well that's an interesting list. A lot of those wouldn't make my list but there is a nice wide variety of games. I still need to try Xeno and Valkyria.

Edit: After rereading it's based on consoles rather than PCs. Not sure how many RPGs that really excluded from voting though.

Valkyria Chronicles and Tiger Woods 2012 remain the only games I have really played on my PS3. I have tried to play others, but I just have a hard time getting into console games. I'll stick to my pc and keep my PS3 as a blue ray player. For a console themed list is seems ok to me.

That said Valkyria Chronicles was a really good game. Some of the story was much too anime/JRPG cute for my taste but the gameplay was solid.

What kind of person likes FO3 better than FO:NV?

Biggest exclusions (given the nature of the list) are Divinity 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.

I can't say I think much of that list, but it has a few titles I'd agree with.

If we're talking about the last console generation, even across platforms, there really aren't a lot of RPG's that would qualify for a top ten list. It's kinda like choosing wether you'd rather lose an arm or a leg.

My assumption is the criteria for being on the list is that the game was released on the Xbox 360 and/or PS3. So yeah, would seriously have to stretch to figure out a list of 10 of them that were good RPGs.

For me personally, in no particular order: Dragon Age: Origins, Witcher 2, Alpha Protocol, South Park: Stick of Truth, and (as mentioned above) Divinity 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. That's 6. Will admit I haven't yet played any Risen games, though.

Can someone explain to me the generation word in the article title?

I'm honestly unsure what is this top10 list about exactly. 30FPS generation? 600x480 generation? 5.1 sound generation? It just can't be and I can't pinpoint what generation they're talking about.

Pretty sure they're referring to the last console generation.

Thanks for clarification. Not interested into any consoles generation, means no read for me.

Yeah, that's a good list, thanks Kordanor! I really need to finish KotOR2 :)

It's actually a really, really bad list. Has things like South Park, Anachronox, and Legend of Grimrock on it, but not a single entry from Wizardry or Might & Magic? Wizardry practically created the genre. Diablo 3's presence is just straight-up laughable - I think absolutely nobody thinks it's better than Diablo 2.

If you want a list of the best CRPG's, look no further than the Codex's list - it's many times better than any other list anyone's ever composed.

Back
Top Bottom