Lords of Xulima - Preview @ IncGamers

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IncGamers is the next site I found this week with a preview of the beta version of Lords of Xulima on Steam Early Access. This ones better than the last one at least.

Like I said, Lords of Xulima is Early Access so there’s a good chance a lot of this stuff will be ironed out. If its systems are made a bit more transparent, if some of the randomness is toned down a little, and if combat is made just a teensy bit less arse-bleedingly lethal, it’ll be a decent throwback to the older, more erratic days of unexpected shareware gems. This needs too much fine-tuning for me to recommend the Early Access build to most, but it’s certainly one to keep an eye on.
More information.

I've been playing for a couple of days now and I have to admit that the review/preview represent pretty well of the current state of the game. The beginning is very linear. You quickly get it that you have to visit «place A» before «place B» before «place C». Battle are very punishing. Fighter don't hit and it's really the wizard who do most of the killing by spaming the spark spell. You have to rest-up after basically every fights, it uses food, food is expensive (once you finish eating all the free food discarded in the new area). The reviewer described it correctly.

Personally, I found a work-around : Wearing/removing items that give SP actually increase them so I don't actually have to rest to heal up my party. And the game is still *very* difficult. I guess it's going to be corrected eventually but I feel that without this work-around, the game could have been too frustrating to play for me.

Yeah - the difficulty was really rough to start out with. I ended up restarting in casual mode (and I very rarely adjust the difficulty from the normal level in games). I'm enjoying it more now, though it might be slightly too easy now.

I think the normal difficulty level needs to be tweaked down, or perhaps a level between casual and normal needs to be added.

Back
Top Bottom