Lords of Xulima - Preview @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPG Codex has a new preview of of Lords of Xulima based on the recent release beta version from two of its members felipepepe, and Crooked Bee.

CB: So, to conclude this preview, what are your final thoughts on Xulima – the aftertaste, so to speak?

F: As you can tell, I really enjoyed my time with Lords of Xulima. It's a breath of fresh air, while also being a testament to classic RPGs. However, creating such a huge game with a small studio and even smaller budget led to some cut corners, especially in the art department. The formulaic main quest may have helped ends meet, but also cheapens the experience a little.

CB: Do you think it will sell?

F: I do worry that Xulima will be horribly overlooked. Not only are there the presentation issues I mentioned, but the year of incline, between Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, and Pillars of Eternity, isn’t a good time to release a low-profile budget title. Still, those that decide to give it a chance will certainly be surprised.

CB: Yeah, to sum up everything we’ve been saying up to this point, once you’ve gotten used to the game’s quirks and as long as you enjoy this kind of non-story focused RPG, Xulima offers a unique and fascinating experience.

Of course, just to get this straight, Lords of Xulima is a fairly niche game. It isn’t a “full-fledged” RPG like Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 or Baldur’s Gate. Nor is it a tactical RPG like Blackguards, Jagged Alliance 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics. The things it does, however, it does well, and as a fan of first-person RPGs, I can’t wait for the final release.

F: I hope it sells well. I would really like to see what Numantian Games could do with a bigger budget.

CB: As would I. Well, fingers crossed.
Thank you HiddenX for the the link.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Good preview Felipe and Bee!

This game really shows that the Numantian Games devs love CRPGs and value the mechanics and elements of the classics.

Buy this game Watchers -> we need more games like this in the future.

While this game still has some quirks my impression of it is extremely good - as long as you like the combat based gameplay. I actually don't agree about the presentation of the game. Imho it looks amazing - in a simple way. Maybe my standards are a little bit lower than average, hey I am playing spiderweb games and Eschalon, but if I compare graphics and interface with Divinity: OS and Wasteland 2, I would actually say that Xulima would come out as the most "polished" looking one. Yes, it's not 3D, but it looks extremely smooth. As is the interface, where just some tooltips could have some more information.

But my concern is also that it's overlooked, which I don't really understand. I mean the Indiegogo and KS projects were successful but imho they should have gotten MUCH more money for what they presented there already.

Bought it a few days ago. Gonna play it after original sin. So far it seems quite hardcore. Reminds me of the good old days ;)

Back
Top Bottom