Lichdom: Battlemage - Now Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Xaviant Games annouces on the Steam foum that Lichdom: Battlemage has left Beta ,and is now available for purchase & download for everyone for $39.99 on Steam.

Lichdom: Battlemage, Full Game Available Now!

Welcome to the first game where the the Mage is an unmitigated badass! With no mana pools or cool-downs, Lichdom: Battlemage throws out all of the classic tropes of playing a Mage. No longer is the character marginalized so that other classes can adventure through the same levels, and finally the true jaw-dropping potential of magic has been realized.

Lichdom: Battlemage is a first-person caster that focuses entirely on the Mage. With limitless magical power at your disposal and brutal enemies around every corner, victory hinges on a combination of skill and strategy. You must carefully craft a vast array of spells and learn to cast them in the heat of combat.

You are your spells!

The Lichdom: Battlemage spell crafting system offers an enormous range of customization.

Every Mage is the product of crafted magic that reflects the individual's play style. Whether you prefer to target your foes from a safe distance, wade into combat and unleash your power at point-blank range, or pit your enemies against each other, endless spell customization lets you become the Mage you want to be.

Key Features

• The first game completely empower the mage – no mana or cool-downs.
  • The deepest spell crafting system in the world with literally thousands of possibilities.
  • Unprecedented character customization – you are your spells.
  • Brutal enemies relentlessly challenge you throughout the game.
  • Core game and New Game Plus provide hundreds of hours of gameplay.
  • CryENGINE® 3 provides a beautifully violent experience.
  • This story is only a small glimpse into a much greater universe.

Click here for more details.
More information.

I must admit I am curious about this game. Skyrim clones are a dime a dozen, and most of them epicly fail in some category or another. Still I like the idea and if the game gets good reviews, I'll pick it up eventually.

The first game completely empower the mage – no mana or cool-downs.

hmmm - I think he never played a solo Bishop in a Wizardry game -> this is pure magical power.

Did anyone play it already?
I'm not buying it without some feedback what's it exactly about. I mean, the story should be there, as it's promised, but is it about main quest to kill endless respaws or the grass doesn't grow where your foot passed.

Did anyone play it already?
I'm not buying it without some feedback what's it exactly about. I mean, the story should be there, as it's promised, but is it about main quest to kill endless respaws or the grass doesn't grow where your foot passed.

I'm wonderingw abouy the story and other motivatorsto play besides 'awesomeness'! *Pew*Pew* All the previews I have seen have shown magic blast fests. If that's all the game is, then I have 0 interest in it. I should add that I have always enjoyed playing mages, and I think that things like mana/spell limitations made those classes interesting/challenging to play.

Something like that is what I wanted to know.
I've jumped on Watch Dogs hype train, got it, and yes, visually it's a stunning piece of software, with a mod that unlocks more stuff it's probably unbeatable game when it comes to graphics.
But the game itself is so dull and repetitive I never bothered to finish it. And the story felt like written by 5 year old kid.

Simply put, I don't want to buy another eyecandy that's grindy, repetitive, not fun.

The first game completely empower the mage – no mana or cool-downs.

So its basically FPS with magical powers, not RPG. With such system you can spam spells like in shooters. Call it "empowering the mage" sounds like euphemism. Its fantasy action catered for FPS fans.

I watched a preview video a few months ago, and loved the concept of its spellcrafting system, but I also don't want to play a mage FPS. I don't need a deep save-the-world-versus-the-mecha-dragon story, but it worries me that the only mention of a story in the whole section is just a small line at the end. I'll wait for reviews.

PD: I checked the Steam forums and found this post by a user named SadOnion, which is what I was fearing…

After putting myself through the second boss, I rage quited not because it's difficult, but because it's tedious and boring. I have seriously not been bored by a game so much for quite a long time. Instead of writing a 20 page angry rant about how this game sucks donkey balls, I will provide some criticism and hopefully devs can pick them up and make the game a little bit enjoyable.

1. The difficulty is not about well designed levels, or interesting enemies. It's about putting more and more of the same enemies against you until you are bored beyond belief. Seriously, after the second boss, each battle has like 40 enemies, it just goes on and on and on. It's not fun.
2. Every single time I get hit or dead is because either of the two. a. Stupid hit box. A magic explode 10m away from me and I got hit, some zombie swing a sword 5m from me and I got hit. b. Monsters spawned right behind me.
3. The loot system is one of the worst I have ever seen. Seriously, the game throws dozens of spell parts at you every 5 minutes, and you have to go through all of them to upgrade them. When it takes like 20 or so parts to make a single half decent spell, getting loot becomes not exciting at all.
4. The level design is as bad and bland as it gets. Most monsters just pop out of thin air, it doesn't make any sense how every inch of the frozen ground has 5 or so zombies in them, and every single tiny holes on the wall has 3 or 4 bad guys hiding. The original doom has better level design than this, at least in that game, most enemies don't just materialize from thin air. It's so out of context and silly.
5. The spell system is not very good to say at least. There's no point in not charging your spells and you only has 2 active spells 1 shield spell and 1 teleport spell. Yes you can switch between elements, but all elements operates nearly the same. You people has missed the point horriblely. Mages in games are fine is because they have a small piano bar worth of different spells. I don't feel like I'm playing a mage; infact, I feel like I'm playing a really boring shooter with a slow firing rifle and a granade launcher, combat rolls all over the place.
6. The story is not great. It's not Dark souls 2 or Diablo 3 level bad, but it's as average as it gets. Your character only speak in one liners most of the time, and when he/she doesn't it's often about revenge and hatred. This is like the most generic story writing I have ever seen. Where's the character developerment, where's the conflicts, where's the constant struggle of fighting the monster while slowly becomes the monster yourself, why are all the bad guys so laughably evil that have no depth what so ever? I don't feel immersed in the personal tragic, and I sure as hell don't like the characters.
7. The single most terrible flaw of this game: It has no gameplay diversity. All I do is fighting spawning monsters that all feels the same. In other games, devs would put set pieces to break apart the combat, such as physics puzzles in half-life, cut scenes in metal gear, quick time events and climbing in god of war, or even drone attack in call of duty. This game is seriously lacking in this department. It's the same thing from beginning to the end with no change what so ever. Even games in the nes era knows you can't force the player to do the samething from beginning to end. You can just have a look at super mario bros or contra, and you know what I meant. I have never been bored so much and so quickly by a game ever before. It's either not a game for me, or you people need to step up your game by a mile. BTW, modding support may improve the game by a bit, but if the core system is not there, do not expect much from modders who have not undergone professional traning.

Before I'm accused of treating this game too badly, I would acknowledge a few things the game does well. Graphics is nice and colourful, music is above average, control is mostly tight, enemies all look pretty good, sound effects are mostly well done, bosses all look great. That's it. I had enough with this game, just want to leave it here. I may be coming back after a year or two.

Hmm , its worse than I anticipated from the start. Mage FPS throwing away anything outside pure (stupid) FPS experience, even FPS level design…

This guy described almost all FPSs in existance - what was he expecting? In fact it sounds better since it has loot and magic crafting. I am not surprised as I was expecting it to be like Hexen or Heretic (the latter mostly).

Anways, I lost interest in this person's babble after he mentioned that the story in Dark Souls 2 is bad.

This guy described almost all FPSs in existance - what was he expecting? In fact it sounds better since it has loot and magic crafting. I am not surprised as I was expecting it to be like Hexen or Heretic (the latter mostly).

Anways, I lost interest in this person's babble after he mentioned that the story in Dark Souls 2 is bad.

Even so Hexen had good level design, and this game doesn't sound like it does.

Edit: Most of the Steam reviews are positive, and well it does sound a lot like Hexen, which I enjoyed, though no rpg. I might buy this one if it gets below 10$ and my backlog has decreased. Glad I decided against the early access.

Last edited:

That's the problem, I wasn't expecting a FPS. I was expecting an RPG with an awesome spellcrafting system, which happened to be played in a first person perspective. I wasn't expecting a Hexen with magically spawning mobs.

That's the problem, I wasn't expecting a FPS. I was expecting an RPG with an awesome spellcrafting system, which happened to be played in a first person perspective. I wasn't expecting a Hexen with magically spawning mobs.
I agree with you as it was advertised as something completely different when I first started posting news. Now it's nothing, but an FPS with magic instead of bullets.

I'm glad I didn't buy Early Access a few months back, as the game is not for me. Hopefully Hellraid doesn't go the same route on release either.:disappointed:

I've been looking forward to this one but I was seeing some people complaining about the lack of variety in the late beta. This could well be one of those games that looks great in the 5 minute video but wears thin after 5 hours. That's what we've got reviewers out there for!

Ah, PC Gamer has one ready. 76. "A beautiful and difficult action-RPG that rewards risk-taking—the complex magic system makes up for the bits that just aren’t worth playing over and over." I bet CP is posting an article right now!

EDIT: Great guns, he really was posting!

I'll post the review later as I have a two episode finale to watch on TV first.

So I'll be back in two hours with the daily update of news.;)

Back
Top Bottom