Knights of the Chalice II - Development Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
We can thank the Codex for the following information about a new development update for Knights of the Chalice II. As you need to be a buyer just to access the forums.

You may notice the new ‘Respec’ tab. It is used to change the feat selection, spell selection and psionic power selection that the character received at his last level-up (or when he was created). That way, if you find that a certain feat is not helping your character, you can change the feat selection after levelling-up, without restoring a saved game. Currently, only the selection from the last level can be changed.

You may also notice that I switched the gear/equipment page from being a tab within the character sheet to being a separate window. The reason for this is that the equipment page is too big to be a tab in the character sheet. So, to open the equipment page from the character sheet, I’ve added an “inventory” button in the bottom-left corner.

In the inventory page (see below), you may notice in the bottom-right corner a box for “party items and store items”. When you trade with an NPC, items on sale will appear in that box and the price of each available item will be displayed when mousing over it. When you are not trading, the box will instead be filled with all of the items that the other party members have in their backpack.

This may answer the requests I have heard a couple of times for a “common” inventory page which would comprise all of the items from all of the party characters. So if you have two fighters and the 2nd fighter has a sword in his inventory that the 1st character needs to use, you can just click on the sword in the “party items” box and that sword will be moved automatically from the 2nd character’s backpack to the 1st character’s backpack.

The rest of the inventory screen should be straightforward for anyone who has played KotC 1 as the layout is the same. The space below “backpack items” is for bag items. It is displayed only when you click on a bag or any other container that the character can carry. You cannot move a container into a container.
More information.

Nice. Glad to see the sequel is underway. I hope he's still adding that nice long list of additional classes he had planned originally, as the very short list was my only real complaint with the original.

KotC 2 - I'm really waiting a long time now for this game. Some Codexians are complaining about the gfx. I don't care. KotC was never about gfx - it was about really challlenging tactical C.O.M.B.A.T.
It's good to see some progress in development :)

Yeah, complaining about graphics in KotC seems a bit like complaining that water is wet. Besides, I thought the new grapghics were nice. Very clean and functional. They mentioned they might be placeholders, but I rather liked them. You could immediately tell who your characters were with the portrait tokens, which could be handy with a large party. (Eight characters or more! Nice!) Feels a bit like graph paper in a PnP RPG. I'd be perfectly fine if there is no change. In fact, I'd probably prefer it.

The graphics in Knights of the Chalice suit me just fine. I hope the second is a bit tougher than the first, and a bigger story. Other than those two things, it can replicate the first game in every other aspect as far as I'm concerned. I'm ready to throw money at this nowish.

I'm an unabashed fan of the original. It remains a favorite indie RPG. It gave me a nice gold-box vibe, which is a good thing. I thought it was a good deal more challenging than your average mainstream RPG. Just a small evolution over the original would be enough to make me happy.

I wish he was as good in the visual deparment as he is in the gameplay deparment.

I never played the original and now I want to wait for this to delve into the series.

I really liked the first one, I was under impression though that the second was indefinitely delayed.
Good to see I was wrong!

It was put off for a long time. After KotC, he made a game in honor of some Dune game he's a fan of. Now, he's back to KotC. :)

After KotC, he made a game in honor of some Dune game he's a fan of.
Dune is one the grandfathers of modern RTS games, and is the based off the books of Frank Herbert. It had a couple of sequels on the PC in the last twenty years.
Dune (1992)
Dune II (1992)
Dune 2000 (1998)
Emperor: Battle for Dune (2001)
Frank Herbert's Dune (2001)
They also made a movie, and two tv sequels so it shouldn't be unknown to most people. Unfortunately his game Battle of the Sands wasn't as good as the originals.

At least his RPG games are better it seems.:)

I think we're going to see more than an iterative improvement with the sequel.

The graphics are disappointing because they are significantly worse than that of the original. I would've been fine with low-resolution sprites once more.

Yes this is a truly excellent title that fully deserves a sequel, and it shows that the designer gets what makes a good D&D computer game with great encounter design.

Last edited:
Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought the developer was making another game first before tackling a sequel to KotC?

Thanks for the heads-up on this; I loved the original and would definitely support a second game made in a similar spirit.

Incidentally, did anyone win that final (optional) encounter in the first game?
One of these days I should try to optimally design a party for this sole purpose. ;)
I think I got close a couple of times, but still no cigar.

Just to brag I did win it once on my second playthrough

Sadly it was mostly down to sheer luck and no skill on my side
Had perfect luck with all my spells in the first round the enemies didn´t

Yes, I was never able to win that battle, I just felt it was too much and had no interest in completing it. Cool to throw every powerful creature against you as an easter egg though.

Just when I had given up on it, looks like he came back to it. Great news.

Incidentally, did anyone win that final (optional) encounter in the first game?
One of these days I should try to optimally design a party for this sole purpose. ;)
I think I got close a couple of times, but still no cigar.

Yeah, I beat it on the first try.

I am sure that the ridiculous people who love to whine "mages in DnD are more better than every other character class why play anything else" would never be able to get past it, though.

I played through with Cleric and three fighters, and two fighters a mage and a cleric and beat it both times. Some pretty tough fights in the game, though, for sure.

regarding the graphics,

I loved the first game, but the SNES style music and graphics wasn't part of that at all. I liked the gameplay/combat and think that the d&d open game licence system is better than 4th edition systems by far.

an update to graphics on par with TOEE wouldnt hurt? A more epic sounding musical score? (or at least amiga MOD music. sif midi :p)

Back
Top Bottom