Baldur's Gate: EE - Patch 1.3.2053 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Overhaul Games has released a new patch for Baldur's Gate: EE. I thought the game was finished being patched, but it seems not. So here is a sample of the huge update.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Update v1.3.2053

Today we are thrilled to be releasing v 1.3.2053 of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition. The update is already available for Windows on Beamdog and Steam, the Mac update is available on Beamdog, and Android can be updated through Google Play. The patch has been submitted to Apple for approval and will soon be available on the Mac and iTunes App Stores.

Crash Fixes

- Game no longer freezes when canceling an imported priest character
- Double-clicking a stack on ground slots no longer crashes the game
- Custom portraits larger than 1024x1024 no longer crash the game; instead, a message appears informing the - user that the image is too big
- (Android) Returning to the game from sleep mode should no longer cause the game to close

Features and Gameplay Enhancements

- Added "Font Size" to Graphics Options (changing this during play will empty the combat log)
- Quickloot feature from BGII:EE has been implemented
- While viewing a mage's Spellbook screen, players can now switch to a priest character and the game will immediately switch to the Priest Spells screen (and vice versa)
- Spell scrolls that can be written into a spellbook for the current character now display a green-tinted overlay
- Non-friendly NPCs that are Blinded will no longer stand still; they will wander aimlessly until they are close enough to see someone worth attacking
- Phandalyn is now a Lawful Good Paladin
- Drizzt is now properly equipped with his scimitars, and has been recolored to match his description in the books
- All golems in the game now possess appropriate immunities to Poison, Charm, Hold, Fear, Sleep, and Backstab
- All crossbows now require the same strength as their non-magical counterparts
- Rogdok now grants 400 experience points when defeated
- Rasaad's bracers and boots are now only usable by Rasaad
- Neera's staff is now only usable by Neera
More information.

Sounds like some good fixes, too. If they keep this up, will the EE become the best version? Or has it already done that?

The new font sizes are awesome, especially on Android. I guess it's debateable whether it's the best version. I think I would say it is. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the added content. The new characters feel out of place to me. The tone of the writing is wrong. Thankfully, you can largely ignore them and send them on their way. For me, though, the ability to zoom alone is worth the price of admission.

Well, the more they patch this and improve it - the more they're making me wrong about it being a cash-grab. I guess that's good :)

Obviously, they're doing it because they're making new games with the same engine, but still...

Good for them! Unfortunately I have finished BG EE some time ago and will not re-install it again just for this patch.

Quick loot option is great, would be hard to go back after getting used to it in BG2EE.

Spell scrolls that can be written into a spellbook for the current character now display a green-tinted overlay also great.

Well if you have a Surface Pro (or probably any tablet), don't update! I had no problems what so ever with the 1.2 patch, but when I updated today, it basically doesn't load. Previously I had to set the exe file to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, now that causes a crash. Unchecking it doesn't produce the crash, but it still hands up a lot at the intro Beamdog splash screne.

When I emailed support the crash log, I just got back a message saying "The Surface Pro is not a supported device, so you may have to do what ever you did before to get it running."

Are you fucking kidding me?

And of course there is no way to roll the patch back. Lovely. Thankfully I backed up the tablet on the 28th, so going to restore to that.

Strangely, BG2EE works fine.

It scales now, so it's really quite smooth. The EE is easily the best BG version at the moment.

Did they improve the resolution of the textures; or do they just do the basic wide screen mod.

Neither. They didn't have the original art assets, so they couldn't do much in making the resolution any better. What they were able to do is that rather than select a specific resolution, it runs at what ever your PC is set at, but you can dynamically zoom into to the size you want. It remembers where you had it zoomed, so you can set it and forget it or change it as needed (when I am on my tablet, I zoom in a far amount, but when I'm at home and have it docked, I have it running at full 1920x1080). Additionally, unlike the widescreen mod, the GUI is scaled to your resolution, rather than being at a set number of pixels and getting smaller and smaller the higher your resolution.

Back
Top Bottom