Darkest Dungeon

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Darkest Dungeon is a hard-core RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of four heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark.

Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take? Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts. Prepare to experience an RPG like nothing you have played before

More information.

$50.00 pre-order seems kind of high to me. I will wait for the bargain bin.

I was looking forward to this but that is a fairly high price point for people that were not in the KS. If I personally knew the artists I'd feel better about supporting that price, but seeing as the core gameplay is incredibly simple and its only the artwork and mechanic premise that grabs my attention its hard to drop $50 for it.

I can't remember if they decided to do the $350k stretch goal or not. I will have to go back over my KS emails.

That's normal now as other kickstarters have charged more. I look at it as both a pre-order, and helping the developer make the game better.

You can always wait till it's released and sometimes offered cheaper.:)

They are going EA, it is very likely that the entry offer is going to be on steam (like $20) The bare one.
Offers on their site come with physical goodies, I dont think Steam does that kind.

I didn't see any actual gameplay video on their site so I have no idea really how the game will play or if it even looks fun.

The premise seems interesting but I'll wait for reviews and a cheaper price before I even consider it.

Thanks for the gameplay link. The art style is nice but I would get bored of that gameplay pretty fast. Looks more like a tablet game than a computer game.

Saw the game demo on You-Tube and it looks more like under ten bucks at the bargain bin

During the Kickstarter you could pre-order a copy for $15. $20 if you wanted to get in on the Steam Early access. So $50 is certainly quite the jump. I'm assuming the release price will be closer to $20.

this game is great so far, I've played a little over an hour and loving it

I havent lost anyone yet, it's been very very close! Very thrilling when everyone's down to very little health, people start hitting 'death's door'. The stress/insanity mechanic and quirks make the party more than stat counters. The art style is very grim, the animations are actually pretty cool.

Take food, use torches before a fight, stun as much as possible. Upgrade stagecoach asap and cycle your heroes into the buildings to kill stress/insanity. Just pray for good rolls!

fun vid showing the first little while of game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVA17lgb0M&app=desktop

I've only played about an hour too. My impressions are a little mixed, but mostly good.

I finished the first dungeon losing 1 character and the rest all 100/100 stress.

First mistake was I clicked the mission icon at the end of the dungeon and ended the mission before I looted the final chest. :(

Then when I get back to town I put all three of my characters into stress relief but there were only 2 new ones to hire because I didn't upgrade the wagon. So it wants me to take heroes out of stress relief to continue the game but I paid ~1500gold each. Plus I don't really want to take all new heroes - I want to play my party!!

So while I was thinking "Hey, this is pretty cool" to start with suddenly I kind of don't want to play anymore. It's got some cool ideas and loads of style but its annoyed me. I mean, does it scale to your level? I don't like scaled to level! Otherwise, am I supposed to take level 1 heroes into late game areas, doomed to failure? Is it going to waste my time like that?

I've only played about an hour too. My impressions are a little mixed, but mostly good.

I finished the first dungeon losing 1 character and the rest all 100/100 stress.

First mistake was I clicked the mission icon at the end of the dungeon and ended the mission before I looted the final chest. :(

Then when I get back to town I put all three of my characters into stress relief but there were only 2 new ones to hire because I didn't upgrade the wagon. So it wants me to take heroes out of stress relief to continue the game but I paid ~1500gold each. Plus I don't really want to take all new heroes - I want to play my party!!

So while I was thinking "Hey, this is pretty cool" to start with suddenly I kind of don't want to play anymore. It's got some cool ideas and loads of style but its annoyed me. I mean, does it scale to your level? I don't like scaled to level! Otherwise, am I supposed to take level 1 heroes into late game areas, doomed to failure? Is it going to waste my time like that?

You're approaching this as a typical RPG where you have a 'party'. You don't, you have a roster, which as the game progresses you will use all of them, many will die and you'll hire new ones, all the time.
Also don't worry about 'the last chest', it's nothing special. There is no 'final room' in any dungeon, unless it's a boss dungeon, so that chest was no different than any other chest you could find. The reward comes from completing the dungeon. You probably missed like 250 gold and a couple of statues in that chest (in anything), nothing major.

Last edited:
Am i just a badass here or something????

I'm 4 hours in and still have not lost a single character. Dont get me wrong, it's been close - I've had 2 on "death's door" and one knocking, but I've even went without a healer a couple times and just powered thru. You can heal with food, you know ;)

The Leper is an unbelievable fighter, and get the Plague Doctor rolling with the crowd control stuns and I've got the enemy seriously hurting by round 3. Jester, Bounty Hunter can be fun and can get some good crits, but you seriously need to keep the crowd control going.

Status effects and stuns are huge in this game. You want to lay down as many stun effects and status effects as possible, as soon as possible. The Plague Doctor, Vestal, & Crusader are all characters that join right away, and they all have a good stun available. Note the "multi-stuns" of the Plague Doctor, knocking several enemies out of the fight. Get the enemy bleeding (flesh and blood), get the enemy blighted (undead). Dont try and make undead bleed. It matters.

And all characters of the same class are NOT created equal. Look at the talents and quirks of every unit you have, for better or worse they are all unique. Pick and choose, new units join your stagecoach every day. Look at 2 different Plague Doctor's spells/quirks, they are totally different, get rid of the one without the multi-stun spell. I noticed one character I had that kept freaking out was blessed with "cowardly" quirk or something, was really messing up my fights. Fired!

What's kind of bullshit is that you can miss a stunned enemy. That's fucked up, you lay down a bunch of stuns and an enemy 'dodges' your blow? You should get a bonus to attack at that point…..

Also - sometimes you need to quit a mission halfway thru. It just isnt working out, sometimes. Your party is limping by, everyone's messed up and stressed out, low on supplies. You dont have to finish. Quit the mission, it was a short loot run.
It's better than being defeated, losing characters

I'm somewhat interested in this but $50 does seem a tad high. I'll wait for the official launch when it'd undoubtedly be half that price.

its worth it, bros. I havent been on the edge of my seat during a game this much in a long time, every singe round can come down to a single blow!

That said, the game has actually gotten a bit more difficult after a recent patch, namely the stun-fest that was making some enemies trivial and the ability to prolong combat to heal cheese has been addressed.

Back
Top Bottom