Shadowrun Returns

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
What is Shadowrun Returns?

MAN MEETS MAGIC & MACHINE.

The year is 2054. Magic has returned to the world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Technology merges with flesh and consciousness. Elves, trolls, orks and dwarves walk among us, while ruthless corporations bleed the world dry. You are a shadowrunner – a mercenary living on the fringes of society, in the shadows of massive corporate arcologies, surviving day-by-day on skill and instinct alone. When the powerful or the desperate need a job done, you get it done… by any means necessary.

The unique cyberpunk-meets-fantasy world of Shadowrun has gained a huge cult following since its creation nearly 25 years ago. Now, creator Jordan Weisman returns to the world of Shadowrun, modernizing this classic game setting as a single player, turn-based tactical RPG.

More information.

That is dirt cheap for hours of entertainment. I'm hoping for a sequel at some point.

Yeah, me too. Every time someone asks Jordan, Mitch, or anyone from HBS about future Shadowrun games they say they'd love to do them as long as they can so that's encouraging. I really hope the Director's Cut pays of for them.

If they take the improvements they made to the game with the Dragonfall DC and make a new campaign in a different city (or previously unexplored parts of Seattle) I'd be very happy. Would be amazing if they could add astral space and perhaps a more fully developed stealth system.

Would be amazing if they could add astral space and perhaps a more fully developed stealth system.

I'd settle for having full control over all the members in your party. I'd like to be able to control everyone outside of combat and spend their karma points at level-up.

I'd settle for having full control over all the members in your party. I'd like to be able to control everyone outside of combat and spend their karma points at level-up.

Yeah, I'm sort of a min-maxer myself and enjoy leveling up and equipping my party members in party based RPGs, so I certainly wouldn't mind the option. "Damnit Dietrich why are you wasting Karma on Throwing Weapons skill, you're a mage / shaman!"

However, it seems that HBS is philosophically opposed to giving players complete control over this- they still want to it to feel like the party members are "real" people, with their own agendas, personalities, and style. I do think the changes they're making in Director's Cut are a nice compromise (you can determine which special ability they learn and influence what weapon type they specialize in).

Hmmm....just noticed that the director's version is a separate game from the regular Shadowrun Returns. Does that mean nothing carries over from the first campaign?

Carnifex this question was already answered a few weeks back in a new FAQ.:)

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/948620
Can I use my existing saves with the standalone version of Dragonfall? What about my characters?

Saves and characters created on the DLC version of Dragonfall won’t carry over to the Director’s Cut. Since we reworked and added so much to the Director’s Cut, loading a DLC save would cause parts of the game to not make sense - both functionally and narratively speaking.

Will the DLC and Director’s Cut use the same Editor and Steam Workshop?

Much like existing saves and characters, the new editor has some pretty significant changes. To make sure your content remains intact, the Director’s Cut will have a separate Editor and Steam Workshop. Missions made in the SRR editor, will be uploaded to the SRR Workshop. Likewise, missions made with the DC editor will be available in the DF:DC Workshop. We’re putting together instructions on how creators can “update” their existing UGC missions to work with the new editor and Steam Workshop, so keep an eye out for further information.

I'm playing this now and am liking it. It even runs fine on my old laptop. Its.good enough for me to have already decided to pick up Dragon fall next time I see it on sale.

I'm playing this now and am liking it. It even runs fine on my old laptop. Its.good enough for me to have already decided to pick up Dragon fall next time I see it on sale.

Since you liked Returns, you'll love Dragonfall DC. Improves on it in almost every way.

I finished it last night. I ran into a nice bug in the last series of fighting. After picking my team everyone would randomly either have or not have weapons. I tried all sorts of stuff to see if I could get weapons to show up and ended up taking a break from the game out of frustration. I finally went back last night intending to just pick a magic heavy team but most weapons decided to show up this time so I went for it. It was weird as my main character had the stolen weapons in his inventory but sometimes the weapons would appear back in the teammates inventory. Sometimes the weapons would be both in mine and their inventory. I only had one mostly useless character but he did still have the bug gun thankfully. Everyone else had some sort of weapon they could still use. I ended up finishing without much of a problem and am a bit annoyed with Sam now.

I'm ready to catch Dragonfall on a sale. I like the world and am looking forward to the improvements they made to it.

I finished it last night. I ran into a nice bug in the last series of fighting. After picking my team everyone would randomly either have or not have weapons. I tried all sorts of stuff to see if I could get weapons to show up and ended up taking a break from the game out of frustration. I finally went back last night intending to just pick a magic heavy team but most weapons decided to show up this time so I went for it. It was weird as my main character had the stolen weapons in his inventory but sometimes the weapons would appear back in the teammates inventory. Sometimes the weapons would be both in mine and their inventory. I only had one mostly useless character but he did still have the bug gun thankfully. Everyone else had some sort of weapon they could still use. I ended up finishing without much of a problem and am a bit annoyed with Sam now.

I'm ready to catch Dragonfall on a sale. I like the world and am looking forward to the improvements they made to it.

Yeah Dragonfall is a much more satisfying experience. The companion characters are also far more interesting - and you can fuck up their dialogues and quests if you're not paying attention. It's kind of gratifying to see how giving a character bad advice actually leads them to do stupid shit.

Back
Top Bottom