RPGWatch - Lords of Xulima Preview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Aries100 had the the chance to play the Beta version of Lords of Xulima provided by the game's developer, Numantian Games. Here are some impressions.

Imagine an old-school rpg that features exploring, questing, turn-based combat and strategic decisions, and combines it all with the need to explore in order for the story to move forward. Lords of Xulima works this way, but it also has some of those old-school drawbacks.

Mathieu Simard from Numantian Games has been quite helpful in answering my questions about some of the design decions in the game, such as the steep toll the party has to pay in order to get into the first town, Velegarn.

"This is a 'tax' (toll) imposed by Prince Nengorth on the Village of Velegarn," Mathieu comments. "From a design perspective, this is meant to motivate the player into advancing the story and making the party stronger."
More information.

Thank you Aries100 for the preview, and you to Aubrielle for the editing.:highfive:

Now as for Lords of Xulima it's on top of my must play list the year, and isn't delayed to 2015 yet. Hopefully we will have time for a review when it's released.
Official Launch (Tentative November)

It will include the ending and will be fully compatible with MAC and Linux.
Editions for the game will be made available, including the Artifact of Golot edition and Deluxe editions.
Link - http://steamcommunity.com/app/296570/discussions/0/616188473124818294/

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun playing the beta several weeks back, and was barely pulled away by the release of D:OS. Once I took a break, I have avoided going back until it's released, but I am VERY much looking forward to when that happens. I would likely be playing it now if Wasteland 2 didn't come along.

The biggest point of contention among people who play the game will probably be the food system. It's pretty harsh compared to past food mechanics we've experienced in other games. But then, usually those other games allow one to stock up on obscene amounts of food, which essentially removes the food mechanic altogether. The devs clearly wanted to avoid that here, and they definitely succeeded. But I predict it's going to piss a lot of people off.

Personally, I like it. It gives exploration a lot more meaning, because you need to do it efficiently or risk burning through your food, and then your gold (to buy more food). And it forces you to look for resource optimizations you might not otherwise look for (for example, by holding on to the wheat you harvest for the farmer instead of selling it, since you can convert that wheat into a day's worth of food when you run out in the wilderness).

This game definitely provides an old-school challenge, and will be a wake-up call to newer gamers who are used to having their hand held by the big publishers. I can't wait to play it when it's done...

Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Based upon their screen shots, it looks like it is pretty difficult to spot your character. Good job he's always in the middle of the display.

I wonder, are your party members fully animated on the combat grid? It'd be nice to see a screen shot of a battle. Do they have their own customized combat display image, like in the old GoldBox games? How do the various effects look, such as spells?

Your characters are mostly static, though they have a mini-hud; showing effects. You're just a single party icon when not in combat, so only the protagonist Gaulen is rendered. You can't switch members to see different icons, no matter who is the party lead, Gaulen is the icon. The enemies are each drawn on the tactical map. Your party in 2 ranks of 4 squares and the enemy in 2 ranks of up to 5.

Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Based upon their screen shots, it looks like it is pretty difficult to spot your character. Good job he's always in the middle of the display.

I wonder, are your party members fully animated on the combat grid? It'd be nice to see a screen shot of a battle. Do they have their own customized combat display image, like in the old GoldBox games? How do the various effects look, such as spells?

I recommend checking youtube. There are a couple of videos about Xulima. You party members are not animated though.

More specifically, the combat doesn't take place on a grid like Gold Box games. Think old-school Wizardry or Might & Magic games. There should be some footage in the trailer video that's included in the preview, and here's a picture:

Lords-Of-Xulima-Combat-with-Yuls-Herald.jpg

Just some feedback about the review. I hope you take no offense but take it as opportunity to learn and grow.

About Difficulty:
One huge difference is the Hitpoints/Mana you gain each level.
On Normal/Casual you get 3 Times the Hitpoints on levelup than you get on Veteran. On Hardcore you only get 70%.

In last part of the first paragraph of "Main Quest" you repeat yourself. Guess you could/should delete the "as this means…" part.

"Valvet as this god grants you 5 extra ability (or skill) points. "
Valvet actually gives you 4 Agility points, no skillpoints.

"So you'll need to have a thief, a soldier, an explorer, a cleric (for healing) and a bard who can sing songs of courage."
That actually leaves no space for the player. The cool thing about Xulima is, that it's completely your decision on how to build your group. Well, you have to take the explorer. But besides of that…You could actually use a Paladin and a Summoner for healing, Barbarian for melee damage and so on.

"At first a skill will cost one skill point to upgrade, but later it'll cost you up to three or five skillpoints to upgrade the same skill."
This is not correct. A skill has an initial cost of Basecost+1. After that it's only the base cost.
For example: A Barbarian Can learn Bodybuilding on Level 2. He needs to spend 2 Skillpoints. After that he needs to spend 1 for each point.
The Mage on the other hand needs to spend 4 points to learn it and 3 to continue improving it for each point.

"remembering that a soldier needs strength and constitution while a mage needs power points and agility."
"You'll need to upgrade the armor skill for soldiers, the perception skill for thieves"

Again the cool thing in Xulima is that it gives you tons of possibilities. You really don't have to do it that way. Most of the attributes are actually a valid option for all classes.
A Soldier has good use of rising his Energy for example to be able to hit more often with special strikes. Speed and Constitution is useful for all classes. Even Agility is useful for most classes when in front row.

Perception is actually one of the skills all classes have access to. Only the Barb and the Soldier need 2 points to raise it. All other classes can improve it with 1 Skillpoint. So you can pick the character who still has enough points left.

As partially mentioned before I think Lords of Xulimas biggest strength is it versatility in combat. You have tons of options to put your party together. 10 Classes with unique skills where you need to chose 6 Characters from. A Barbarian is Stun immune and can open up completely different possibilities than a bard or Paladin who come with completely different heals and buffs. And there is the Divine Summoner who is a whole Army Knife in himself. Most of the classes add some great stuff for the party. The art is to pick the right classes and do well in rising a good set of skills.

And just a typo:
"like a sword or dagger, only can only attack from the front line"

Last edited:
Thank you, Kordanor. I was in a haze when I edited this. *horrified* I'll make the changes as soon as I can. Eek. ^.^;;

There. I've corrected the grammar changes you've suggested (thank you) and implemented one or two of your stat fixes. As to your advice/recommendations, I'll simply leave those in your helpful post. :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
@Kordanor - and it goes without saying that people that correct so much have to write the next review... ^^

Aubrielle, the preview made me more interested in the game than before... I will have a look at combat videos to see how they work as the way they look in screenshots has put me off the game.

One comment... It feels like you're making some recommendations/guide on how to play as well as a preview in some sections. I am not sure that's the right way to go about it. It would have been better in my opinion, to explain how the system worked for you rather than say how other people should play.

Of course, I've never actually written a preview, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

Pladio, Aries100 wrote the article. :) All I did was edit it. But yes, that's good advice. ^.^

My own impressions of the game were quite different…

@Pladio - some starting advices for LoX are not bad. The devs explicitly wanted to make a hardcore game and are successful with this design goal IMHO.
Not everyone is used to old school mechanics nowadays and some websites already criticized LoX for being not playable at all. So Aries100 cared for the more casual gamers among our lurkers.

Anybody knows the current ETA?

The biggest difference in Xulima and most of today's games is that you are not expected to "clear" areas all at once. You can wipe out horde A, but creature B is going to kick your butt for right now. You need to come back when you're stronger. A lot of people get frustrated because they can't kill everything the second they run into it.

A small problem with this design is that the game has no place to make notes on the map. You may very well forget that there is a super dangerous monster at location A that you need to defeat. Since all treasure is randomly generated; I think the first time you enter an area, the tough monster will have treasure appropriate for the lower level mobs around him so there is no impetus to go back and slay it unless there is a quest involved. They may fix this or may not.

Xulima is mostly for those who love to tweak their characters and try various builds. The loot aspect is average, food is tedious, exploration is great, collecting ingredients is meh, but vital to the best builds. The Devs are great about listening but have their own vision for what they want in the game. Most requests for more interesting loot are falling on deaf ears; at least as of a month ago. I dropped Xulima because I didn't want to ruin my enjoyment at release. Kordanor is on top of it, the last I checked so he may know more about any loot changes.

My party is Gaulen, Soldier, free pick, then DS, Mage, Mage in the back. The DS summons a healer as needed but I have to carry more potions than someone with a cleric. If my free pick is a Paladin or Cleric, then healing is taken care of and my DS can summon fighters or mages. If my free pick is a rogue then Gaulen can focus on his envenomed strike and be a useful combatant. Otherwise, all of Gaulen's skills go into herbs and thief skills. Choices, choices.

Back
Top Bottom