Larian Studios - New RPG Tease

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Interesting tidbit in there: They have apparently dropped plans to do a game based on a license.
No, decided not to bother anymore when we realised we could do better than that ;)

As for what it's going to be... no idea, probably another Divinity game.
Swen's enthusiasm seems to be directed at a cool gameplay mechanic they have just "invented". My best guess would be an entirely new way to play the game in coop or any other special multiplayer mode? Or maybe an all new combat system?
Or a combo of both where everyone who is playing the game in online mode is somehow contributing to an overarching goal? Maybe a territorial game like Risk where the huuuuuuge world is procedurally generated and people fight over claiming territories? Think Total War series but instead of controlling armies you have a hero with companions and RPG gameplay on the "battlefield".

Last edited:
An mmorpg with real time strategy elements ? ;)

As much as Divinity OS is loved, I would much prefer return to third person exploration focused RPG...and it won't be that :(

just dont fantasy.. for once. and less focus on mechanics, more on immersion

It will probably be in Divinity setting again since all of their games are in divinity setting.
Swen said lot of times that he is huge Ultima underwolrd fan so maybe he will finally have courage to make UU style game in Divinity setting?I would like to see that badly.

just dont fantasy.. for once. and less focus on mechanics, more on immersion

Yes, please do something else than Fantasy.

Lots of focus on mechanics AND story is fine be me… ;)

Last edited:
Hopefully they don't decide to shake things up. For gods sake just do an even better sequel to D:OS.

Please do an new IP rather than go back to divinity universe....

I'd like to see a Divinity RPG in the times of Dragon Commander. This would open many interesting gameplay options.

The possibilities for a new Divinity game are endless, they have a good lore.
I trust them with anything they do, I follow Larian since their first game.

They only thing I would like them to do is stop making every single NPC an english language major. Not everyone can talk so much, with that many polysyllables and perfect vocabulary. I believe that was the only part where WL2 had the upper hand over D:OS, the writing was more natural.

Now, if you believe in the inherent cyclic nature of phenomena, after D:OS their next game will be a let down. Hopefully not. Hopefully they won't ruin what they have built in D:OS.

They only thing I would like them to do is stop making every single NPC an english language major. Not everyone can talk so much, with that many polysyllables and perfect vocabulary. I believe that was the only part where WL2 had the upper hand over D:OS, the writing was more natural.

That annoyed me SO BAD. Maybe it was the quirky style they were going for, and if that's the case, they nailed it, but if it wasn't, then I feel safe saying the writing was amateurish and stilted. That's one of the few things I truly dislike about D:OS - the dialogue is stumbly and difficult to navigate. Possibly they could have hired a more skilled writer…more natural dialogue would not only have made the game smoother and more enjoyable, but it would help the player take the universe just slightly more seriously…

As much as Divinity OS is loved, I would much prefer return to third person exploration focused RPG…and it won't be that :(

Divinity 2 was good in many ways, but also weak in many ways. The content got really repetitive near the end (destroying 4 nearly identicle flying fortresses stopped being fun for me) I also found that combat became an over grind, because once you had your build it always ran more or less the same way. Also at the end the relatively limited number of opponents became boring. Slaying thousands of black ring members and imps became a drag. So if they're going to do a 3rd person game again, I hope they don't extend it they way they did with Divinity 2, and they offer some interesting late game game play variations. That having been said, I really did enjoy the first 2/3 of the game.

Considering D OS in my opinion was one of the best if not the best game I have played in the last 20 years. I am hoping for more of the same that D OS brought us and I don't think I am being to selfish.

I do think whatever they do this time there will be a lot more people watching them....

Possibly they could have hired a more skilled writer…more natural dialogue would not only have made the game smoother and more enjoyable, but it would help the player take the universe just slightly more seriously…

I partially agree with you but I don't think their writers are not skilled enough. The texts where fantastic and funny or tragic BUT every single NPC talked the same way.
Sure, the tone of the storytelling was lighthearted and I felt a Discworld vibe but if don't need a sailor or a talking urn that speaks the same way as the wizard of the town (random example).
A more natural writing would be better if not even funnier and easier to have more variety among the common lines all NPCs have.

I would like another rpg in the fantasy setting, or if not, then science fiction setting. Why not a classic fantasy setting like forgotten realms. Less humor, and a more serious hardcore tone! But I have a bad feeling its something to do with multi-player or something online. I don't want a multi-player game, I like playing solo.

Divinity 2 was good in many ways, but also weak in many ways. The content got really repetitive near the end (destroying 4 nearly identicle flying fortresses stopped being fun for me) I also found that combat became an over grind, because once you had your build it always ran more or less the same way. Also at the end the relatively limited number of opponents became boring. Slaying thousands of black ring members and imps became a drag. So if they're going to do a 3rd person game again, I hope they don't extend it they way they did with Divinity 2, and they offer some interesting late game game play variations. That having been said, I really did enjoy the first 2/3 of the game.

Agreed about everything, but I still enjoy Divinity 2 more than DoS because I just like that gameplay style more.
Witcher 3, Kingdom Come and Cyberpunk are my most anticipated games for a reason :)
It sucks that so few games in this style are made. Last good one was Witcher 2 and New Vegas and that was ages ago. Where is Obsidian when you need them :/

Oh, making South Park and Tanks. Fuck.

Back
Top Bottom