Mythos: The Beginning - A New Adventure RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I received news today about new game that is soon to released on Steam called Mythos: The Beginning from a developer named Dark Gaia Studios.

Mythos: The Beginning is a survival horror/adventure role playing game based on the pulp-horror and monster movies of the 1930s. Set in London in 1934, Mythos tasks you with creating your own paranormal investigator from scratch and guiding them through a frightening exploration of the infamous Harborough Asylum. Three young university students have vanished while attempting to conduct a scientific survey of this dreaded place, and it's up to you to find them! Throughout the night you'll discover that Harborough Asylum's reputation is more than an urban legend, and you'll have to fight for your life against otherworldly Lovecraftian foes.
More information.

My(r)thos, Watchmen - have we sponsored this game? :)

Looks interesting.

My(r)thos, Watchmen - have we sponsored this game?
I thought the same thing when I read the e-mail.
Looks interesting.
I agree as I always wanted to play an RPG game like this.I just wish larger developers were interested in pulp-horror settings rather than just High Fantasy.:pout:

I thought it said Myrthos.

Game looks like it might have fun mechanics, but I do have to say that the graphics are pretty poor. Even in terms of 2D standards. The game looks pretty dark. I know that's probably what they went for, but it looks too dark in terms of lighting...

Its an RPG maker game. The graphics are from Pioneer Games. That doesn't make it good or bad per say, but it explains the look. I'll wait and see what the reviews say.

man these settings bore me so much.

make something contemporary / realistic for a change. I'd even enjoy being a neanthertal exploring caves more than this crap

man these settings bore me so much.

make something contemporary / realistic for a change. I'd even enjoy being a neanthertal exploring caves more than this crap

I would also appreciate more diversity in setting, unfortunately developers who have chosen alternative settings have more than not been punished for it. There is a reason we haven't seen Alpha Protocol 2, Titan Quest 2, Jade Empire 2, or Vampire:Bloodlines 2 and that is that none of those game sold well at release.

Last edited:
I would also appreciate more diversity in setting, unfortunately developers who have chose alternative settings have more than not been punished for it. There is reason we haven't seen Alpha Protocol 2, Titan Quest 2, Jade Empire 2, or Vampire:Bloodlines 2 and that is that none of those game sold well at release.
That's what I hate about the gaming industry. As I enjoyed everyone one of those games, and in the end each of them was considered a failure due to low sales.

Though I do recall Bioware talking about another Jade Empire 2, but nothing was made after it. As for Titan Quest we have Grim Dawn which is taking forever to complete.

As for Vampire:Bloodlines 2 don't count on that either as ther license was sold to an MMO developer called CCP, and they canceled production of any new games.

Now excuse me while I go cry over games that will never be.:bigcry:

Last edited:
That's what I hate about the gaming industry. As I enjoyed everyone one of those games, and in the end each of them was considered a failure due to low sales.

Though I do recall Bioware talking about another Jade Empire 2, but nothing was made after it. As for Titan Quest we have Grim Dawn which is taking forever to complete.

As for Vampire:Bloodlines 2 don't cont on that either as ther license was sold to an MMO developer called CCP, and they canceled production of any new gamers.

Now excuse me while I go cry over games that will never be.:bigcry:

Grim Dawn is an indie game. The makers abandoned their original setting, and even said it was a mistake (with Titan Quest) to not make something dark and gritty like Diablo 2, because that is what gamers want. Titan Quest has actually sold pretty well over time, they said, but despite excellent reviews it had very meager sales on release. No one wanted to give Iron Lore another project and they went under. The lesson we see is not to make anything original. I personally loved Titan Quest. It remains my favorite hack & slay game.

Grim Dawn is an indie game. The makers abandoned their original setting, and even said it was a mistake (with Titan Quest) to not make something dark and gritty like Diablo 2, because that is what gamers want. Titan Quest has actually sold pretty well over time, they said, but despite excellent reviews it had very meager sales on release. No one wanted to give Iron Lore another project and they went under. The lesson we see is not to make anything original. I personally loved Titan Quest. It remains my favorite hack & slay game.
I will never understand how a game can not be considered successful after selling a million games for under $5. Another example is The original Witcher game.

I seem to recall CD Projekt mentioning they sold more of Witcher games than ever before from the cheap sales in the last two years. So this should be considered a good thing.

And yes I agree with what you said twice already also.:)

Back
Top Bottom