Lords of Xulima - First Impressions from the CRPG Addict

killias2

Disastrous Fate
The CRPG Addict, known for his chronological journey through CRPG history, has posted his first impressions of recent indie RPG Lords of Xulima:

Overall, I had a lot of fun in the 4 hours I was able to devote to Lords of Xulima. I'll take Sr. Arribas's compliments about my blog in the spirit that they were intended, but the true inspirations of Xulima are the classic RPGs that I've written about, and like Might & Magic X did with its franchise, Xulima does a great job paying homage to the past while offering plenty of 2014 innovations. I recommend it….

More information.

Heard good things about this game. Can I have a key please?

I fear they are gone already, astreia. The keys were offered on the blog page by CRPG Addict.

I edited out the reference to the keys to avoid further confusion. The offer was on the CRPG Addict blog (not here), and all the keys were given out. Sorry about that!

I'm at the end of Divinity Original Sin and planning to begin Lords of Xulima. I have played nearly all my RPGs in the hardest difficulty possible and I really like challenge. So I want to ask to players who played LoX: Which difficulty level I must choose: Old School Veteran or Hardcore. I like challenge but sometimes challenge turns to impossible in some games (last example: some main quests in Blackguards or M&M X DLC).

I'm at the end of Divinity Original Sin and planning to begin Lords of Xulima. I have played nearly all my RPGs in the hardest difficulty possible and I really like challenge. So I want to ask to players who played LoX: Which difficulty level I must choose: Old School Veteran or Hardcore. I like challenge but sometimes challenge turns to impossible in some games (last example: some main quests in Blackguards or M&M X DLC).

Old School Veteran will be challenging enough, especially for the first try. LoX is a great old-school game, and like with most games like this, you really only learn about what skills, spells and attributes to focus on as you play it.

Really fun game actually. Kind of a sleeper that I think is going to build a following and decent rep. Fun turn based combat that's fairly challenging (I'm playing old school veteran which is the middle difficulty). Not a lot of frills and the game is better for it in my opinion. Combat animations pretty notable too, really well done.

Old School Veteran will be challenging enough, especially for the first try. LoX is a great old-school game, and like with most games like this, you really only learn about what skills, spells and attributes to focus on as you play it.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try Old School Veteran difficulty as you suggested. I don't want my fun to turn to torture. :)

I'm getting close to the end game (I think) in old school veteran too, and I've been finding it a good challenge. It's hard enough that I sometimes need to reconsider tactics or go explore/clear side quests in a different area before progressing (especially as I get closer to the end), but not so hard that I find it punishing or not fun.

Overall it's a great game, and I wouldn't even necessarily describe it as no frills. It has a lot of old school concepts and difficulty, but it has a lot of the system depth that I often associate with more modern games. I was especially impressed with some of the combat mechanics, and the way a sword is so different than an axe, which is so different than a mace. It's come a long way from one hitting for 1-9 and the other hitting for 2-8.

I'm getting close to the end game (I think) in old school veteran too, and I've been finding it a good challenge. It's hard enough that I sometimes need to reconsider tactics or go explore/clear side quests in a different area before progressing (especially as I get closer to the end), but not so hard that I find it punishing or not fun.

Overall it's a great game, and I wouldn't even necessarily describe it as no frills. It has a lot of old school concepts and difficulty, but it has a lot of the system depth that I often associate with more modern games. I was especially impressed with some of the combat mechanics, and the way a sword is so different than an axe, which is so different than a mace. It's come a long way from one hitting for 1-9 and the other hitting for 2-8.

I guess what I meant by "not a lot of frills" I mean things that add nothing to the game: stuff like a scripted video sequences every other battle, full voice acting by "big names" for every word of dialogue, favoring graphics over making sure it's fun first, etc. As it is, the game has just what it needs.

I intend to get this one. The more I hear about it, the better it sounds. Plus at under $20 it's definitely a steal.

Playing the game a bit.
Must say it's fun. Except…

pic.jpg

I hate this. Don't final fantasy me please. This is year 2014. and not a phone but PC, the FF invisible enemies mechanics was there because of pathetic hardware, coding lazyness and inability to provide enough of different content so games needed as much filler as possible.
Well… It's here but at least cut it out in the next game.

Well, I guess it is meant to simulate enemies sneaking up on you right?

That wasn't the case in the FF games.

They're not sneaking. If they were, there'd be a stat or skill to see them. ;)
Instead, they practically teleport on your head.

To be honest, you can refuse to engage and "escape", but you don't want that as the game is not easy (and I'm playing on normal difficulty) and every XP and coin matters! While a challenge and not trashmobs is something I love, I don't want invisible mobs.
The good part is that there are no endless respawns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom