Massively - Biggest MMO Disappointment of 2014

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Massively's staff tell us all about the MMO's they were most disillusioned with in 2014. WildStar and ArcheAge tied for the worst. What a year...

WS.png

Massively's end-of-the-year awards continue today with our award for the Biggest Disappointment of the year -- not exactly one of the more coveted awards, admittedly. For this category, we focused on single games rather than concepts, and every MMO that launched in 2014 was eligible. All of our writers were invited to cast a vote, but not all of them chose to do so for this category. Don't forget to cast your own vote in the just-for-fun reader poll at the very end.

The Massively staff pick for Biggest Disappointment of 2014 is...
More information.

More information.

If this were held within a month of launch I would have voted Elder Scrolls Online for sure. Now though it's become one of my favorites. Then again, my second favorite semi-recent MMO is Warhammer: Age of Reckoning so I'm probably weird.

I think it is crazy people prefer ESO over Wildstar. Wildstar is superior in so many ways I can't even list them all. The writers of this site/awards thing seem like lemmings, with no cohesive or understandable points on why they picked what beyond which way the wind is blowing.

ESO has lists for inventory, no buff bars, combat is awful and clunky, the mechanics are retarded, it is basically a looting simulator made for monkeys who sometimes get bored throwing feces and need to loot things and look at the loot in a list format like it is 1973 still.

Wildstar plays great, has fun combat, a real inventory, difficult content, fun movement, good mechanics, and fancy smancy housing shit for people who like that shit.

The mind boggles.

I would say something about Archeage but I haven't had a chance to play it. Since glyph came out I haven't been able to log into any Trion site or glyph regardless of browser used. I sent a ticket in and it was fixed for a couple hours but went right back to 2016 errors on glyph and no ability to log in to the website. I know a good amount of other people are effected by this as well. Oh well, I guess they don't like having customers.

The writers of this site/awards thing seem like lemmings, with no cohesive or understandable points on why they picked what beyond which way the wind is blowing.
This kind of comment does great prejudice to lemmings, which are actually far from being as brainless as it suggests… ;)

So it's not Destiny or Titanfall (okay Titanfall might be from 2013 perhaps)...

So it's not Destiny or Titanfall (okay Titanfall might be from 2013 perhaps)…

Titanfall isn't a mmo and it was from this year....geez.

Titanfall isn't MMO? Then what is it and why Angry Joe's AJSA plays it?

Oh btw…

comics-nerfnow-EA-money-647641.png

Titanfall is like modern warfare...a shooter.

I'm pretty sure Angry Joe was playing some MMO in his views… Reviews… Whatnot… And it was named Titanfall.

Oh, another one:

comics-CtrlAltDel-EA-646467_zps75f38b98.gif

Honestly, I own it.

Lots of people like it....not sure why it relates to this thread or your little funny pages....for that matter.

I still load up Titanfall every now and then.

Fantastic gameplay. It's just between rounds is a bit shallow. Needs some metagame like planetside 2 has.

At least it got Australian servers!

Speaking of metagame, that new Mechwarrior Online "Community Warfare" patch is a bit disappointing. Only 2 maps and such slow progress you really can't feel the impact you have even after a whole day playing.

And as for 2014s MMORPGS, and MMORPGS in general... Nah, they're not even worthy of comment!

I'd say ESO wins for most disappointing, even though I only heard how bad it was through the grapevine. I never had any faith or interest in Wildstar.

I've tried a bunch of mmo's, the only ones that kept me were EQ 1 and 2, and Vanguard. About 6 more just fell flat on their collective faces, and none of them lasted more than five days. I may slam and chide SoE on a daily basis, but it is always in the sincere hope that the games improve. They get a lot of stuff right, at least for me and my friends.

I think it is crazy people prefer ESO over Wildstar. Wildstar is superior in so many ways I can't even list them all. The writers of this site/awards thing seem like lemmings, with no cohesive or understandable points on why they picked what beyond which way the wind is blowing.

ESO has lists for inventory, no buff bars, combat is awful and clunky, the mechanics are retarded, it is basically a looting simulator made for monkeys who sometimes get bored throwing feces and need to loot things and look at the loot in a list format like it is 1973 still.

Wildstar plays great, has fun combat, a real inventory, difficult content, fun movement, good mechanics, and fancy smancy housing shit for people who like that shit.

The mind boggles.

Yes I can certainly see how you'd find this mind boggling.

I still load up Titanfall every now and then.

Fantastic gameplay. It's just between rounds is a bit shallow. Needs some metagame like planetside 2 has.

At least it got Australian servers!

Speaking of metagame, that new Mechwarrior Online "Community Warfare" patch is a bit disappointing. Only 2 maps and such slow progress you really can't feel the impact you have even after a whole day playing.

And as for 2014s MMORPGS, and MMORPGS in general… Nah, they're not even worthy of comment!

I'd say ESO wins for most disappointing, even though I only heard how bad it was through the grapevine. I never had any faith or interest in Wildstar.

Titanfall is a demo for a fantastic game that doesn't exist (yet). It's fun and has some great ideas on how to move FPSs forward. However, it's an amazingly small game. There's practically nothing to it at all. You basically experience the whole game after a handful of hours.

I've tried a bunch of mmo's, the only ones that kept me were EQ 1 and 2, and Vanguard. About 6 more just fell flat on their collective faces, and none of them lasted more than five days. I may slam and chide SoE on a daily basis, but it is always in the sincere hope that the games improve. They get a lot of stuff right, at least for me and my friends.

The only one I can see myself getting interested in would be the next Everquest because it will attempt to feature true sandbox gameplay.

I respect MMO players but personally I long stopped deriving enjoyment from linear quests that are always about killing X creatures or collecting X objects.

It seems to me that Ultima Online and the first Everquest in the early years were true to what an MMO should be like. The later ones have been very derivative and too safe while always hand holding the player.

I assumed Archeage would be the winner after looking at the thread title. While Wildstar didn't do anything new, I quite enjoyed the beta. Just hard for me to justify a monthly subscription to the genre anymore.

amen to this list, and adding LOTRO. with that said, i can never play an MMO longer than a few days, the hamster wheel is too apparent and boring.

Back
Top Bottom