Sorcerer King - Early Access First Impression

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Keith Turner of Space Sector posted a new Early Access First Impression article based on his playtime with Stardock's new game Sorcerer King. Here is a small sample.

Sorcerer King does introduce some interesting restrictions and a bit of resource management, and with further polish could become a solid experience for me. What it needs to overcome is the fact that we are now in an era of fantasy strategy excellence unlike anything I’ve seen in recent years. As a product priced the same as, or more than, other quality completed titles, Sorcerer King has got its work cut out if it wants to stand out and grab my attention.
More information.

Since it is based on Elemental engine and Fallen Enchantress fixes for that Elemental I don't see how it has a chance vs Endless Legend.

Since it is based on Elemental engine and Fallen Enchantress fixes for that Elemental I don't see how it has a chance vs Endless Legend.

But it isn't.

Of course it is. It is using same engine and being built upon everything they done for FE:LH

And even people in comments of that preview mostly say they don't expect much from this game.

Last edited:
I find the statement a bit odd - I've not played endless legend so my view of it is based off of steam board but it seems to have a slightly different focus than elemental's engine games. I'm not going to call elemental combat robust but it seems to be the heart of the game while endless seems to be a wee bit step closer to exploration (worse combat but richer world). I never found elemental's ai amazing but everythign i've read indicate it is much better than endless legend (the two chief complaints I read about endless legend are horrible horrible ai and miserable boring combat).

I find the statement a bit odd - I've not played endless legend so my view of it is based off of steam board but it seems to have a slightly different focus than elemental's engine games. I'm not going to call elemental combat robust but it seems to be the heart of the game while endless seems to be a wee bit step closer to exploration (worse combat but richer world). I never found elemental's ai amazing but everythign i've read indicate it is much better than endless legend (the two chief complaints I read about endless legend are horrible horrible ai and miserable boring combat).
Yes, Sorcerer King has a different goal but it is still based around mediocre FE:LH engine and their bad design decisions.

They went the way of Age of Wonders with SK and removed all unit customization while Endless Legend took FE:LE unit customization and made it good.

And AI is not terrible for EL if you play on harder difficulties. Combat is more simple than FE:LH but better balanced and flows better and faster. It is better and more complex than Civ 5. Age of Wonders 3 still has best combat.
Endless Legend mixes it the best with empire building parts and as a whole package it best one out there.

Only thing FE:LH has over EL is spells.

I am still hoping WoM will turn out to be the best of them. D20 based combat system excites me.

I just got Endless Legend last night on Steam for 50% off. How do you like it Archangel? I will start playing it in a few weeks.

Sounds like you like it a lot. Cool seems like a very interesting game. My problems with AoW3 was the empire building was lacking and the AI was so aggressive at higher difficulties. The combat was great in AoW3 though.

As I said, it is the best mix of empire building and combat so far. Civ 5 is bit more complex in empire building and AoW3 has a more complex combat.
Its UI is also very nice, the gameplay is very slick and flows well. Factions are different and even their lore is very nice (something that FE:LH lacked, especially the units were all too similar). Hero system is done nice and tech tree is similar to Endless Space and Beyond Earth. They managed to "fix" city spam problems and minor faction system is best one yet in any 4x game I played.

For a new game with no expansions and DLCs, the game is really really good. And it can get better.

Of course it is. It is using same engine and being built upon everything they done for FE:LH

And even people in comments of that preview mostly say they don't expect much from this game.

Accept the whole playing of the game is different...you aren't starting as a equal empire(something you decided didn't matter) you are starting as one of the conquered nations and building up to take out the bad guy...that alone seems interesting, you seemed to ignore that and went with the comments of the crowd.

FE was a pretty good game too bad you seem to not have liked it.

I'm with Rune on this one, I actually really like FE:LH, the Elemental frachise has gotten alot better since the debacle that was Elemental. I have high hopes for this one, the setting is pretty cool.

I will however gladly give Endless Legend a try too, I've had my eyes on it for some time but the backlog is so big right now I have to wait. I don't like all those unfinished games in my Library at the moment...

I agree with tomasp3n and rune regarding FE:LH.
It seems that Sorcerer King wont be clearly better, I see it more as a twin game trying to test ground with a little different design decisions. Remove unit customization is big con for me, but on the other hand SK should have extensive crafting. So we will see.

I agree with tomasp3n and rune regarding FE:LH.
It seems that Sorcerer King wont be clearly better, I see it more as a twin game trying to test ground with a little different design decisions. Remove unit customization is big con for me, but on the other hand SK should have extensive crafting. So we will see.

Well, although the unit customization is nice it also made all the factions boringly similar (I for one can't play without the exellent Stormworld mod). If less customization means more variety then that's fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom